ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 12-07-11, 09:30 PM

kalikali23 is on a distinguished road
My struggle with Vyvanse and Anxiety

Hello all,

I've browsed the forums quite a lot, but finally made an account to express my problem.

I am 19, and have been diagnosed with ADD since 12 years old. I had a short trial with Strattera after the diagnosis, but that drug was awful and made me aggressive, so we quickly stopped that med.

Anyways, this past June I was prescribed Vyvanse in hopes of doing better in school. The med brought significant changes in my personality during the first three months. I am normally a shy, introverted person, but the vyvanse allowed me to relate and talk to people with ease, and overcome the anxiety of my speech impediment. I also felt happier, motivated, and of course- more focused.

Fast forward to today, and I am experiencing something quite different. While I do feel better/happier taking vyvanse because it controls my ADD and allows me to speak with more fluency, a new, more robust form of anxiety has emerged that is really hard to control and deal with. The med started giving me tics and uncontrollable body movements. I've always been a sensitive person where any outside negativities are concerned, so I can see why the vyvanse would heighten this level of awareness- turning it into a sense of fearfulness. Sitting in class became a difficult task. I became a very focused, aware, and anxious person.

Lately, I have gotten somewhat of a grip on the anxiety to where normal tasks, like going to class, or socializing, aren't so daunting. I do not have the same vitality that I did when first prescribed it, but I do feel that Vyvanse helps me, and so I don't think getting off of it would be the best solution. I don't want to see my focus become what it used to be. But, I need to deal with the anxiety- it's preventing me from being successful and living to my full potential. I am sick and tired of focusing on anxiety, and want to be the happy person that I really am.

I am seeing my doctor this Friday and will tell him this experience. What do you think he would reccomend? What solutions have worked for you? Would taking an anti-anxiety med be the only viable option? How safe is taking both a stimulant and an anti-anxiety med?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

-Peace
Old 04-05-12, 10:59 PM

lindsey91 is on a distinguished road
Re: My struggle with Vyvanse and Anxiety

hi,
sorry for the delayed response on this old thread, but i was wondering what ended up happening in your situation? i'm experiencing something similar currently. vyvanse really really helps me, but i feel that it's degrading my ability to fight anxiety attacks and things of that nature. i feel uneasy and on-edge throughout the day, especially when it's wearing off. i also have panic attacks when i'm falling asleep- i just wake up suddenly and feel like my heart's about to explode. anyway, in terms of advice, i think the thing that works best for me is to keep busy. try and be outside as much as you can, go for plenty of walks, play a sport, etc. keeping your body moving seems to be the best way to keep your mind distracted from anxiety-inducing things. hopefully you're doing well!
Old 04-05-12, 11:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

Content ID will become famous soon enough
Re: My struggle with Vyvanse and Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey91 View Post
hi,
sorry for the delayed response on this old thread, but i was wondering what ended up happening in your situation? i'm experiencing something similar currently. vyvanse really really helps me, but i feel that it's degrading my ability to fight anxiety attacks and things of that nature. i feel uneasy and on-edge throughout the day, especially when it's wearing off. i also have panic attacks when i'm falling asleep- i just wake up suddenly and feel like my heart's about to explode. anyway, in terms of advice, i think the thing that works best for me is to keep busy. try and be outside as much as you can, go for plenty of walks, play a sport, etc. keeping your body moving seems to be the best way to keep your mind distracted from anxiety-inducing things. hopefully you're doing well!
I've dealt with severe anxiety and I will share some tips with you what to do when it happens that actually work well at-least for me.
-Make sure your drinking plenty of water through the day this is vital
-Eat well stimulants suppress appetite.
-Try taking a walk at night or cooler parts of the day
-If you find yourself in an anxiety/panic attack you MUST focus on something other than what you are worrying about (hard to do yes I know trust me this is very hard) do something you really enjoy. Take occasional mental breaks so you don't stress your mind out.
-If in an anxiety attack following that above breath deeply in through your nose out through your mouth slowly and calmly and focus on that to to help you calm down.
-If necessary get a parent or peer or even a friend to sit by with you and explain why it happens and have them comfort you I think support from other people really helps with this.

I know the anxiety feeling it sucks, on Adderall twice a day and boy that drives anxiety to an extreme but I have a meeting with my doctor soon and want to ask him what I can do to fix this since Adderall seems to be working well for me.