ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 12-11-11, 11:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

cillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the rough
Vyvanse and Antihistamines (Claritin, Zyrtec, etc.)

There are a couple of posts about this scattered throughout the forums, but I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing odd side effects when taking their antihistamines with Vyvanse.

I, for one, attributed the sedating/foggy effect I was experiencing on Vyvanse to the ADHD medication itself, simply because Clairitin, Zyrtec, et. al. have advertised themselves as "non-sedating." Plus, having switched from Adderall, I assumed those effects were due to Vyvanse given its lack of levoamphetamine.

However, for a few days recently I went without my Zyrtec and I noticed something interesting. While my dust allergies were giving me hell (they've got to be the worst kind, bugging me all year round) I was more wakeful and less foggy than before. This makes sense because histamine is a double-edged sword that helps us wake up but can also trigger allergic responses. Benadryl would be an obvious offender here as would the drugs containing pseudoephedrine on the opposite end of the scale.

When I couldn't take the stuffiness anymore, I popped a Zyrtec one morning after my Vyvanse. Lo and behold, the fogginess/sedation returned. I've since started taking Zyrtec at night and my allergies are in check while the tiring effects have apparently subsided.

Zyrtec's half-life is about 8.3. hours so the majority of the side effects shouldn't appear after a good night's rest.

As with other side-effect-eliminating endeavors I've tried, this could be a placebo effect, so I'll keep a skeptical eye on it. Still, has anyone else had problems when combining Vyvanse and these meds?
Old 12-11-11, 02:44 PM
Jr Member

jpflex66 is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse and Antihistamines (Claritin, Zyrtec, etc.)

Zyrtec makes me sleepy...Claritin does not. Change to claratin see that helps. Zyrtec has many negative side effects on people I know.
Old 12-11-11, 03:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

cillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the roughcillianred is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpflex66 View Post
Zyrtec makes me sleepy...Claritin does not. Change to claratin see that helps. Zyrtec has many negative side effects on people I know.
Yeah, I had the same problems with Claritin, too. Just the nature of these things, I guess. Will stick with taking Z at night for now.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-11, 01:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thought I'd add a few more thoughts.

Here are some of the negative effects I experienced when taking antihistamines and Vyvanse at the same time early in the morning:

Zyrtec w/ Vyvanse
  • Vyvanse would work for about four hours and then disappear
  • I'd become extremely foggy and lethargic
  • My ability to concentrate was gone
  • Small requests at work would annoy me
  • I generally felt like I needed to go back to bed
  • My daily to-do list would seem insurmountable

Claritin w/ Vyvanse
  • All of the above
  • Felt kind out of it
  • Started to get really depressed after a while

I've seen posts listing the above side-effects in relation to Vyvanse generally, so be sure to check out any possible interactions.

It's astounding how such mundane things can impact our meds so significantly.
Old 08-26-12, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

So after some extensive allergy testing, I discovered I don't have allergies.

Thus, I am no longer taking antihistamines. I suspect that my earlier foggy/drowsy symptoms on Vyvanse were likely due to antihistamines because once I stopped taking them, Vyvanse became a very different medication.

It acts more like a subtle version of Adderall now, as I hoped it would. Let's hope it stays that way for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillianred View Post
Thought I'd add a few more thoughts.

Here are some of the negative effects I experienced when taking antihistamines and Vyvanse at the same time early in the morning:

Zyrtec w/ Vyvanse
  • Vyvanse would work for about four hours and then disappear
  • I'd become extremely foggy and lethargic
  • My ability to concentrate was gone
  • Small requests at work would annoy me
  • I generally felt like I needed to go back to bed
  • My daily to-do list would seem insurmountable

Claritin w/ Vyvanse
  • All of the above
  • Felt kind out of it
  • Started to get really depressed after a while

I've seen posts listing the above side-effects in relation to Vyvanse generally, so be sure to check out any possible interactions.

It's astounding how such mundane things can impact our meds so significantly.