ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-15-11, 01:14 PM
Jr Member

Godzilla is on a distinguished road
XR vs. IR, Price difference?

I recently re-started treatment for inattentive ADD after being told for the umpteenth time that the problems that I am having are ADD. I tried MPH, but it had as a side affect the complete shutting down of my ability to interact socially with others.

I am now trying to find an effective dose of Adderall. Before I go back to my doctor to talk about a dosage adjustment, I was hoping someone with more experience could tell me if the XR form is more or less expensive then the IR form? I am paying cash due to not having insurance coverage.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 12-15-11, 01:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: XR vs. IR, Price difference?

IR is less expensive than XR. XR is more expensive than IR.

Tablets typically cost less than Capsules. Always get generic.
But Adderall is an expensive medication now (compared to other meds), since the Pharm Manufacturers are price gouging with the ADHD medication shortage in effect.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 12-15-11, 05:24 PM
Jr Member

Is there a XR generic?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-11, 05:34 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,137 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Is there a XR generic?
Yes. Teva and Global distribute a generic XR. Just an FYI, generic and brand are both manufactured by Shire. Teva and Global just distribute it under their names. My understanding is that Shire will continue to do this until the patent for XR runs out, at which time Teva and Global will start manufacturing their own XR.

XR is generally more expensive than IR. However, with the current Adderall shortage, XR and IR are both fairly expensive, depending on your insurance and where you live.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 12-15-11, 05:48 PM
Jr Member

Thanks BR549 for the explanation. An "authorized" generic is a generic that costs as much as the brand! Apparently that is what generic XR is.
Old 12-15-11, 05:51 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,242 Times in 699 Posts
Offle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to allOffle is a name known to all

IR is less expensive, but I've been having a much harder time finding it than XR, and with the shortage the price of IR has been going up.

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream."
-- Vincent Van Gogh