ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-21-11, 05:08 PM

creatorbri is on a distinguished road
Do you have more trouble with XR than IR?

So I don't know what's up with me any more, or what I've got to do to get this under control. Am I beyond hope? Is anyone else dealing with this??

I was on 2x 20mg (one in the morning, one in afternoon) for awhile, and it really seemed to help my situation at work, where I was previously having a ton of trouble concentrating and getting things done.

But a couple of months ago my wife went to fill my prescrip and, naturally, found that *everybody* in our region seemed to be out of the 20mg standard/immediate release tablets.

So I went back to my Dr, and he gave me a new prescrip. For some reason, he only wrote it for a single 20mg XR. Out of options (and pills), I started on the XR.

All month long I struggled with it. It's like -- where before on the IR I'd get a gentle "boost" as my brain seemed to get into gear, I'd get in about 3 hours or so of good solid work, and then a gradual let-down. As long as I took my 2nd pill before 2pm or so, I had no trouble with sleep or anxiety.

But since starting on the XR, it seemed like it was hardly doing anything -- except that I've felt a bit more on edge, and weirdly, I'd get little "bumps" of mental energy throughout the day, to the extent that it seemed liked I was all over the place and feeling, well, pretty weird.

When I told my Dr it didn't seem to be helping (when I went in for my new month's script), but that I still couldn't find any IR, he decided to put me on 2x20mg XR and see if that would at least help me focus.

Well... it has definitely helped with the focus, I still feel it fluctuating throughout the day but I'm able to get my work done, basically. Unfortunately, the anxiety has accelerated and the other night I had my first panic attack in many, many months. I also get mild headaches and various anxiety-related issues like jaw-clenching and hand-wringing.

So, I've dropped myself back down to 20 because I can't stand the high anxiety and the headaches and such kinda freak me out. But now once again I'm struggling with focus issues, and the wild fluctuations throughout the day. Worst of all, I'm STILL feeling anxiety and mild headaches.

Have you dealt with this? Is it normal for XR to cause so much frustration?

I'm sick of the drug companies jerking us around with their so-called "shortages", but if I *can* get back on IR, is there a chance things will get back to normal? And if not -- am I better off just going back to outer space (unmedicated) for good?
Old 12-21-11, 05:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

den4 has disabled reputation
Re: Do you have more trouble with XR than IR?

I am having trouble with it! My post is below on my experience. I also only got a good 3hrs of focus...the first day. XR is terrible for me. I am also considering just going un medicated as well.
Old 12-21-11, 08:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

miinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the rough

XR is honestly great for me. Much smoother focus, no crash, none of the 'speedy' anxious feelings i got on IR. Its really YMMV with IR vs XR. For some people XR is great and IR is terrible, for others it is the polar opposite.
The Following User Says Thank You to miinx For This Useful Post:
den4 (12-21-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-11, 08:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

den4 has disabled reputation

Miinx I agree with you on that! I did like the first day on XR with the no "speedy" as in impatient moments. That was the best part, and in social situations no anxiety. But everything else was a con. But, I'm happy to hear it works for others.
Old 12-21-11, 09:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

miinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by den4 View Post
Miinx I agree with you on that! I did like the first day on XR with the no "speedy" as in impatient moments. That was the best part, and in social situations no anxiety. But everything else was a con. But, I'm happy to hear it works for others.

I have a slow metabolism, so it tends to last the full 8 hours for me. You might want to consider asking your doctor about an initial dose of XR in the morning, followed by an IR booster. That seems to work well for a lot of people. Also, give XR some time - it disturbed my sleep pretty badly when I first started taking it and gave me the racing heart when it wore off, however my EKGs were perfectly normal and healthy. After about a month those side effects were gone. It takes a bit more time to get used to than IR does, in my experience.

Also, to the OP - if you were taking 20mg twice a day of the IR, I find it odd that your doctor wrote you a script for only a single dose of 20mg XR. 20mg XR is essentially two time released doses of 10mg, spaced a few hours apart. You were essentially taking half the medicine you were used to with that dosing.

When he upped your dose to 2x20mg XR, were those being taken at the same time, or were you taking 2 separate doses of 20mg xr at different times during the day? If he was having you take them at different times rather than all at once, you would likely still run into the same problems, because you're still only getting 10mg every few hours, rather than the 20mg you were used to with the IR - its just being stretched out over the course of say, 12 hours rather than 6.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miinx For This Useful Post:
BR549 (12-21-11), den4 (12-22-11)