ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-04, 01:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

hoosiergirl will become famous soon enough
Question Obesity and ADHD

Does anyone think that their overweight condition somehow exacerbates their adhd?...anyone from a little overweight to very overweight.........
Old 10-07-04, 10:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

Debs is on a distinguished road
No I have ADD and am not overweight but my 13 year old daughter is overweight and was diagnosed with ADD this summer. She has innattentive ADD and I think the lethargy from the ADD contributes to the ADD, not the other way around. At least in her case.
Old 10-10-04, 08:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

MovingOn is on a distinguished road
I know my obesity exascerbates the comorbid conditions (depression & anxiety anyone?) which in turn exascerbates the ADD. I believe the ADD is the major reason that I am overweight. Eating or driving are both activities that I have used for years to help calm my mind. Eating and driving is the ultimate! I just thank my lucky stars that I never turned to alcohol. I'm currently forcing myself to adhere to a healthier diet without beating myself up for an occasional indulgence.(step #1 of organizing my life) I also love almost all foods so this is tuning out easier than I thought it would. Skipping one drive-thru meal leaves more than enough $ to spend on fresh asparagus and Romaine lettuce (instead of that iceberg crapola.)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-04, 12:54 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Conlaw is on a distinguished road
I get extreme sugar cravings which lead to intense binging on ice cream and other sweets. I think they are related to the ADD. A way to stimulate myself? I'm not sure. But certainly my impulsivity contributes to overindulging.
I started taking Ritalin this week, and the sugar cravings seem to have subsided. And, I seem to have more control over my impulses. Susan
Old 10-11-04, 03:01 AM

mother rabies is on a distinguished road
I'm 5'7" and weigh 210 lbs. Good thing I have a large skeletal structure. It has nothing to do with ADD but Da** that Depression.
Old 10-11-04, 01:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunnystar is on a distinguished road
I don't think that obesity and ADD are linked anymore than anyone else. A lot of people eat out of boardum, eat for emotional reasons, American's in general have poor eating habbits/choices and don't exercise enough. I have anxiety really bad but I tend to not want to eat if I feel super anxious or panicy, food is the last thing on my mind sort of thing. I don't have depression at all. And I'm boarderline ADHD so I tend to be really hyper and on the go and I don't eat a lot (but I can see how it would be easy to eat on the run/fast food with this type of always on the go life though). I also forget to eat a lot, just like I forget everything, before I know it I lose track of time and it's like 11:00 at night and I never ate dinner so I just end up going to bed because prepareing food is highly annoying to me (i am super impatient, I eat cerial for dinner a lot because I don't want to wait for for the maccaronni to boil etc....)
Old 10-13-04, 09:23 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
what does borderline adhd mean?
i don't get the borderline part..
i am for instance, a combination adhd..which means i'm inattentive + hyperactive...
Old 10-13-04, 10:37 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
For me it's the lack of impulse control combined with boredom that leads to overeating, so it's ADHD related. Meds help.
Old 10-13-04, 11:23 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
thats what i was going to mention gregster
i do recall reading something about ppl w/ adhd might actually be more prone to obesity b/c of the very nature of our disorder...
i would wager it would work out like this:
for example if i'm an inattentive type, i might not ever get to actually working out even though i have a gym membership b/c those that have inattentive have an 'activation' issue.
if you have an activation issue, this means that its hard for you to actually get started on something..and what would be most easily to have an issue with if not excercise for instance? don't normal ppl themselves have an issue getting up to do that?
(keep in mind, i've done tons of reading and i absorb facts like crazy, but my adhd kicks in as far as remembering specific places i've read this stuff in, unless its a big overarching concept)

if you're hyperactive then yes- you would most likely have super impulsive issues, this is demonstrated by impatience and i'm sure this plays role in say: eating crap when you're not going to benefit from this? imagine that.
you can't so no to yourself when it comes to donuts, or just watching tv or playing video games and struggle to do so..and you eventually become overweight.

i think this is a plausible...
Old 10-13-04, 03:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunnystar is on a distinguished road
I use the word boarderline to describe me because I know people who are really hyperactive/ADHD, they have not been medically diagnoised as having ADHD but I can tell. A 14-year-old boy I know and two other males who are extremely hyperactive, they can not stop fidgeting or can barely stay seated for more than a couple of mins. (along with other very obvious symtoms of ADHD) I have a hard time staying seated, and I fidget and all of that but not to the degree that they are. I am able to work a full-times desk job (barely) but it would be physcially impossible for two of these people to do the kind of job I do, they could not physically stay still or seated long enough to complete the work (at least with out medication). These people are also considered "hyper" where as my friends would not consider me hyper because although I am physcially very restless, fidgety, (I twitch a lot too which I do not notice that much but my husband can see my muscles twitching or feel it at night in bed, I think I have restless leg syndrome too when I sleep as my legs often ache and I am a restless sleeper....)
I can be very reserved in personality (well besides blurting out something I should have thought twice about before saying out load that is...) and quite in social settings. (although I talk to myself non-stop when I am alone) I can also watch TV and movies and it calms me and I am often still when I am watching TV... and more than not will fall asleep.
But since I only usually use TV to help but me to sleep, I tend to always have to be doing something pretty physcial, like I never get on the computer unless I am at work, I clean or do girly stuff, pase the house, exercise.....
I don't know, it's hard to say, I don't really know what I am. Is that ADHD? Or is it inattentiveness?
It is very difficult for me to concentrate, I usually bounce around a couple different activities at one time at work, go to this forum, IM, do work, talk on the phone. I also can't bring myself to read books. I start one and I can physically finish it, or read for like an hour at a time (it's very hard, but I can do it, sometimes I have re-read the last paragraph b/c I started to think of something else at the same time and didn't retain what was read, but I can do it) but the thought of sitting down to read is very unappealing although I think to myself, I would like to read that book it looks good, I just usually can't bring myself to sit down with it. I also tend to clean to avoid other projects that need to be done.... Procrastination with activity. So what is that? I never throughly discussed this with doctors, more like I've told them my behavior and they don't say much back but yup, and give me an RX.... not too go eh?
Old 10-16-04, 09:47 PM
Contributor

gingagirl will become famous soon enough
I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes (insulin-dependent) when I was 12 years old. As a diabetic child, I learned to be very aware of the foods I ate, I learned what was considered "healthy" vs. "unhealthy," I memorized food portion sizes, I developed an awareness of how my body felt related to the foods I chose to eat.

Sounds like the perfect upbringing to develop healthy eating habits, doesn't it? And yet, I have a horrible diet.

I have always felt like I was a "bad diabetic" because I didn't follow the rules and I lacked the will-power to stick to a good diet. I wasn't diagnosed with ADD until I was 28. And it wasn't until about a year ago, that it occurred to me that ADD might have some influence over my diabetes control. My diet & diabetes control has gotten progressively WORSE over the years ...and I relate this to ADD impacting me more & more with the increased demands of life as you "grow up"
  • As a kid, I had mom to fix my meals & make sure I was eating healthy. Plus, I had school & parents to impose structure in my life (which helped my undiagnosed ADD).
  • In college I still had ready access to prepared meals, plus I still had some structure in my life (classes, hours the cafe was open)
  • After graduating, I was not as good about my diet (had to cook for myself), but I did okay. I had structure at work & was able to hold everything together --maybe hanging onto somewhat good habits, plus my job wasn't too stressful.
  • Then in grad school, my diet got worse. Good habits faded away, stress was thru the roof, not much structure in my life.
  • And now, my life feels pretty chaotic. Trouble keeping up with paying bills, taking care of "home" (housekeeping, home repairs, chores), and a demanding job with stress out the wazoo. I do okay with breakfast & lunch (thanks to structure from my job), but dinner & snacking is really bad. No structure for these times, so I eat whatever & whenever.
If I wanted to "blame" ADD for my poor eating habits, I could point out the difficulties listed below. However, I feel too guilty to blame my poor eating habits on ADD. Right now, I kinda sway between beating myself up for being lazy & lacking the will-power to eat right, vs. giving-up trying to eat right because I have ADD so it's hopeless. I recognize that neither of these approaches is right, but that's where I'm at right now. Hopefully my food choices will improve as I develop strategies that work better with my ADD. Anyway, here's my list of how ADD might be affecting my poor eating habits:

Binge snacking: ADD-me has a wee bit of trouble with impulse control. If I eat bad foods, I never eat "just a few." For example, if I eat just one cookie, chances are good that I'm gonna end up eating at least half a box of cookies. I guess that'd qualify as poor impulse control, eh? I binge snack at work too, but social pressures keep me from sitting down and devouring all the donuts, candy, etc all at once, so instead I'll sneak snacks numerous times per day instead (but that's still less "snacking" than what I do at home).

Forgetfulness: ADD-me is forgetful, plus meds decrease my appetite so I often forget to eat. On the weekend, I can go until evening without eating. And then I'm overcome with hunger. I eat & eat & eat until I am beyond full. This type of eating is bad for your metabolism ...your body slows down burning caloried cuz there's no food, then wham! it is hit with a huge amount of food, but since it is burning food slowly, much of this food will be converted to fat.

Lack of motivation: ADD-me has trouble getting motivated & getting started with tasks. Sweets are so much easier & they taste so much better. I have a very difficult time to motivate myself to prepare healthy foods.

Stress/fatigue: ADD-me has a hard time getting thru the everyday chores of daily life and I'm always behind with work-related projects & tasks. I feel stressed most of the time. I often am too tired to do anything productive by the time I get home from work. Often, ready-made foods are all I have the energy for. Lately I've been trying to find healthier ready-made food choices, so maybe that will help.

"They call me lazy, but it takes all my time..." -- Joe Walsh
"The absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence." -- unknown
Old 10-16-04, 11:14 PM
Contributor

Chicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really nice
I'm glad someone brought this up. For some reason it never occurred to me to link them, but it makes perfect sense especially with the co-morbid conditions like depression and anxiety that so many of us have...

I also wanted to recommend to anyone looking for healthier ready made meals -- try Trader Joe's supermarket if there's one near you. They have a ton of their own brand frozen meals, of pretty much any type of food, and try to stay with natural, preservative free ingredients. But they aren't bland, I promise. And they're pretty cheap too.

"Life is more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt than a surprise party." (Mozzie, White Collar) (I wish I could remember why I thought this quote was so profound and related to ADHD )
Old 10-17-04, 01:19 AM

rogerj1 has disabled reputation
The "motor" doesn't run at very high RPM's. If I'm not extremely careful, I gain weight due to my low level of busy activity. I have to exercise and limit my calories.
Old 10-17-04, 03:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
as a kid a was thin and active. As a teen I had an eating disorder, I didn't eat much of anything, had an active life and worked out way to much.......

When I was pregnant in my 20's I wasn't working, wasn't active. Bored, scared, depressed,gained alot of weight.After the baby, I gained more. Very depressed, not active, didn't work. Many failed diets, more depression, more eating......

Started working when my child was 2, part time. Still not active,still depressed. More failure at dieting and being active.....

2nd child in my 30's, stopped gaining,wasn't losing either. Talked to my dr. about how awful I was feeling....Got tested for ADD....

Took meds. lost weight(58 pounds), not depressed, more active.

After 6 months I started gaining. Didn't say anything thought I was just weak. When I saw my doctor she said many women overeat on these meds. Got off it was but on something else....lost some weight.

Lately I've had trouble with gaining again and I read a post from someone asking if anyone else overeats if they don't take this med on time... I've had this problem, thought it was just about me. Took myself off it, it's been about 3 weeks now, haven't had any hungry horror moments now in a week.

I have no idea if it's the meds or ADD or the fact I'm unhappy or all of the above. I'm having a very hard time losing weight and I can't seem to get control of it....
Old 12-09-04, 01:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

MovingOn is on a distinguished road
I am absolutely convinced that ADD brain function is related to my overeating. Back on my meds for 3 weeks and dropped another 5 lbs. I'm just not hungry from boredom all the time now. I tend to eat only when I am really hungry.Now I need to balance the eating out a bit to pump up the metabolism which died a wretched death years ago....

I can understand if someone is ADHD and doesn't have a weight problem. But my uncle who has exhibited ADHD symptoms his entire life spent most of that time grossly obese as he was constantly shoving something in his mouth. Maybe it was to calm the anxiety, but then wasn't the ADHD causing the anxiety?

Call it the chicken or call it the egg, either way they are DEFINITELY related!!