ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-27-11, 08:12 PM
DegreeHunter DegreeHunter is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 122
Thanks: 8
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
DegreeHunter is on a distinguished road
Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

ABOUT ME:
- I've used Vyvanse 70mg in the past to study during finals week at the end of each semester, but never during the semester.
- Currently studying for my US Medical Licensing Exam and with the VAST amount of info I need to cover and having to study 8-12 hours daily for months, I took the plunge and talked to my doc about using my adhd meds regularly.

MY SITUATION:
- So I didnt want to become dependant on the meds to the point that it becomes impossible to study without them so my doctors said to use my Adderall XR 20mg every other day.
- First day I took the meds they were very effective, but every time since the dosage has become less and less effective
- Today is my 4th time taking it and I tried a two day break this time between doses and it's still not as effective as the first

- I'm usually tired 90% of the time and the adderall has worked well to pick me up and give me energy through the day, but I can't seem to use that energy to focus on what I need to focus on
- The first day I felt a SURGE of confidence and motivation and I felt like the exam was very doable and that I was going to destory, but now I'm starting to slump back into the feeling of being overwhelmed by the vast amount of info I need to study and starting to feel like its impossible

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS
1) Switch back to Vyvanse 70mg?
- Reason I don't do this is because I've heard Vyvanse can suddenly stop working whereas adderall doesn't do this due to the salt composition.
2) Up my XR dosage to 30mg to match my vyvanse dosage?
- I don't think this is that necessary since I do feel a rush of energy, but just no focus
3) Start taking adderall more days in a row rather than every other day to allow my body to adjust to how the meds effects me and then take one day off a week to give myself a break.
__________________
ADHD: 1 Medications: 0
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-27-11, 10:21 PM
Smokestoomuch Smokestoomuch is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 19
Thanks: 5
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Smokestoomuch is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

Tolerance is something every amphetamine user struggles with. You may call it dependence but I think it's the same thing. I believe the common sense approach is to use as little as possible, period. This means as seldom as possible and as small dosages as possible. If you have a 20mg pill, try cutting it into quarters and see if you can make do on less. Over the years your dosage will always increase so it's best to start as small as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-27-11, 10:44 PM
BR549's Avatar
BR549 BR549 is offline
Super Mooderator
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: lost continent of Atlantis
Posts: 12,352
Thanks: 18,461
Thanked 12,131 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

It's all going to depend on the person. These medications work differently for each individual. There are many people who have been taking the same dose of dextroamphetamine or mixed amphetamine salts for years and still have no problem with tolerance or efficacy.

Vyvanse does have a reputation of 'pooping out' on people after a while. Doesn't mean that it will for you. You are right in that your Adderall dose is less than your previous Vyvanse dose.

Are you taking stimulants just to study, to manage your ADHD or both? I ask because ADHD is a 24/7 condition. I realize that there are levels of severity where symptoms are concerned. If your symptoms are severe enough to interfere with your studying, aren't they impacting other areas of your life?
__________________
I really didn't say everything I said.
"A.L.W."
"R.T.C."



"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-29-11)
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 12-28-11, 01:30 AM
DegreeHunter DegreeHunter is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 122
Thanks: 8
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
DegreeHunter is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokestoomuch View Post
Tolerance is something every amphetamine user struggles with. You may call it dependence but I think it's the same thing. I believe the common sense approach is to use as little as possible, period. This means as seldom as possible and as small dosages as possible. If you have a 20mg pill, try cutting it into quarters and see if you can make do on less. Over the years your dosage will always increase so it's best to start as small as possible.
I've tried small doses and felt absolutely no benefit from them. The 20 mg XR in the past (during med school days) was very ineffective on me and I swore by Vyvanse, but after trying the XR 20mg this time around I found it very effective on the first day and adderall seems to have minimal effect on my appetite
I just HATED the fact that I lost SO much weight on the vyvanse, I bust my *** in the gym 5 days a week and have a strict diet and worked hard to obtain my physique and during a week or two of finals I felt like I would lose months of progress in the gym instantaneously.

Now my education comes before physical appearance of course so I will make the switch to Vyvanse if necessary, but I guess I will give the Adderall a bit more time. I will be taking it tommorow again to see if it is more effective on consecutive days considering how the half lifes work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
It's all going to depend on the person. These medications work differently for each individual. There are many people who have been taking the same dose of dextroamphetamine or mixed amphetamine salts for years and still have no problem with tolerance or efficacy.

Vyvanse does have a reputation of 'pooping out' on people after a while. Doesn't mean that it will for you. You are right in that your Adderall dose is less than your previous Vyvanse dose.

Are you taking stimulants just to study, to manage your ADHD or both? I ask because ADHD is a 24/7 condition. I realize that there are levels of severity where symptoms are concerned. If your symptoms are severe enough to interfere with your studying, aren't they impacting other areas of your life?
Yup, it's definitely VERY individual, I've been reading this forum for about 3 years and I've spent days hyperfocusing on it for 6 hours in a row haha. I finally decided to join now that I will be using the meds regularly and not just for small periods of time.

I have read a lot of threads about the Vyvanse pooping out which is what concerns me, it's the second reason why I tried adderall (first being appetite supression). The Vyvanse during my exam weeks has given me razor sharp focus though, I have pulled 18 consecutive hours in the books on some days where I lost track of time.

My life is definitely impacted on a daily basis and all my doc's have highly recommended going on the meds, but being a research junk and a half-way-there doctor myself I refused to take the meds on a daily basis even though they were very beneficial for me.

I have my own opinions formed about the drug and it's long term effects and all along I refused to use it regularly, but I have gotten to a point where I have no choice but to start using the meds regularly sicne the pros at the moment significantly outweigh the cons.
__________________
ADHD: 1 Medications: 0
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-28-11, 10:13 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 15,317
Thanks: 4,083
Thanked 16,579 Times in 7,495 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

So many people confuse dependence and tolerance with addiction. They are NOT the same. I am dependent on all of my medication and if I stop cold turkey I will suffer ill consequence but this is not because I'm jonesing for my next high its because I need to function like a human being the my add is chronic constant and life long so skipping days or alternating days does no good for me or my family.
__________________
Go **bleep** yourself**

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BR549 (12-28-11), Kaimei (12-29-11), nomoredenial (01-14-12), pechemignonne (12-28-11), Water Boy (11-11-12)
  #6  
Old 12-28-11, 11:12 AM
pechemignonne's Avatar
pechemignonne pechemignonne is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: La Belle Province
Posts: 3,045
Thanks: 4,401
Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMD View Post
ABOUT ME:
- I've used Vyvanse 70mg in the past to study during finals week at the end of each semester, but never during the semester.
- Currently studying for my US Medical Licensing Exam and with the VAST amount of info I need to cover and having to study 8-12 hours daily for months, I took the plunge and talked to my doc about using my adhd meds regularly.

MY SITUATION:
- So I didnt want to become dependant on the meds to the point that it becomes impossible to study without them so my doctors said to use my Adderall XR 20mg every other day.
- First day I took the meds they were very effective, but every time since the dosage has become less and less effective
- Today is my 4th time taking it and I tried a two day break this time between doses and it's still not as effective as the first

- I'm usually tired 90% of the time and the adderall has worked well to pick me up and give me energy through the day, but I can't seem to use that energy to focus on what I need to focus on
- The first day I felt a SURGE of confidence and motivation and I felt like the exam was very doable and that I was going to destory, but now I'm starting to slump back into the feeling of being overwhelmed by the vast amount of info I need to study and starting to feel like its impossible

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS
1) Switch back to Vyvanse 70mg?
- Reason I don't do this is because I've heard Vyvanse can suddenly stop working whereas adderall doesn't do this due to the salt composition.
2) Up my XR dosage to 30mg to match my vyvanse dosage?
- I don't think this is that necessary since I do feel a rush of energy, but just no focus
3) Start taking adderall more days in a row rather than every other day to allow my body to adjust to how the meds effects me and then take one day off a week to give myself a break.
Some questions about this:

1. What do you mean when you say "I didnt want to become dependant on the meds to the point that it becomes impossible to study without them"?

Were you able to study fine without them, just not for 8-12 hours at a time?

Or are you just wary of having to take psychotropic medication on a regular basis in general?

Because as I understand it, ADHD meds leave a person's system fairly quickly. So, you shouldn't have worse symptoms after taking ADHD than you did before.

Therefore, there is no reason to worry that taking ADHD meds regularly will somehow diminish your capacities. Either you can study without meds, in which case you probably don't need them, or you can't really study without meds, in which case you will be "dependent" on them to study.

If you are talking about taking them as a "boost" to get through med school, then I have nothing to say about that. If your doctor is supportive, I guess that is his/her problem, but I think it's a kind of problematic.

2. You say you are tired most of the time. Is that because of lack of sleep due to your current lifestyle (studies and internships or whatnot)?

If so, you might find that the medications won't have the right effect. Fatigue makes my ADHD meds near useless.

If you are getting a reasonable amount of sleep, then you should consult someone about other possible causes of fatigue and ADHD-like symptoms.

3. The first dose of most stimulant ADHD meds feels very good for a lot of people. That is not necessarily an indication that you are at the right dosage, nor should you expect it to persist as you continue to take the meds.

The feeling that you are talking about, the euphoria, is not the effect that ADHD meds are meant to have in order to treat ADHD. Usually, you don't "feel" anything, but you are more able to concentrate than usual, and more calm, etc. Again, this is only if you are sleeping properly. Also, it helps to make sure that you are not dehydrated, as some of the XR forms of the meds require a lot of water to dissolve properly.

If your dosage is too high, you can indeed have an extreme euphoria reaction the first time, then it will slowly stop working at all. As other posters have mentioned, taking the lowest dose possible is advisable.
__________________
"I know I talk too much, but I am really trying to overcome it, and although I say far too much, yet if you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit for it!"
Anne of Green Gables, by L. M. Montgomery

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-28-11, 12:39 PM
JR1973 JR1973 is offline
ADDvanced Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,207
Thanks: 1
Thanked 284 Times in 204 Posts
JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

This article is all for you

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/...correctly.html
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-28-11, 12:44 PM
pechemignonne's Avatar
pechemignonne pechemignonne is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: La Belle Province
Posts: 3,045
Thanks: 4,401
Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

Quote:
Because the doctor will rigorously apply artificial and unreliable diagnostic categories backed up by invalid and arbitrary screens and queries to make a diagnosis. So after this completely subjective and near useless evaluation is completed, your doctor should be able to exercise prudent clinical judgment to decide if Ritalin could be of benefit. In other words, he will ultimately decide based on little else but his own prejudices and/or consult the Magic 8 Ball.
This is BS.

I really have ADHD, and I really got a really real diagnosis.

My evaluation was not useless. The screens used were not invalid and arbitrary.

That article is a subjective piece of junk.
__________________
"I know I talk too much, but I am really trying to overcome it, and although I say far too much, yet if you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit for it!"
Anne of Green Gables, by L. M. Montgomery

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-11, 12:50 PM
JR1973 JR1973 is offline
ADDvanced Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,207
Thanks: 1
Thanked 284 Times in 204 Posts
JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

Well the article is written by a psychiatrist who has an obvious opinion about it. No big deal.

The scope of the article was how to use stimulants properly while studying.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-11, 03:14 PM
DegreeHunter DegreeHunter is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 122
Thanks: 8
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
DegreeHunter is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

First off I want to thank everyone who replied to this thread. I love how everyone in this community likes to help others out and is willing to take their time to help out others suffering from the same day to day issues as them.
fficeffice" />>>
@ sarahsweets – I am a doc myself so I most definitely know the difference between dependence/tolerance/addiction.
Tolerance isn’t a big deal to me unless I start putting 60mg of amphetamine into my body daily.
Addiction is not something that I am worried about because I don’t plan to abuse/misuse the drug and as for the withdrawl symptoms of eventually going off the meds, I will just deal with them.
As for dependence this is what I’m worried about. Seeing myself function with the meds vs. without definitely makes me see the world in a whole new light. I’ve always suffered from an extreme handicap in school due to my symptoms, but one way or another I just fought through it and faced the consequences. Now I definitely didn’t perform upto the best of my abilities and it did hold me back in a lot of ways, but I just refused to medicated myself with an amphetamine daily, it was a totally absurd idea… I sometimes question how this med is even legal so do all my medical colleagues.
>>
>>
@ pechemignonne
1 – My inability to study without medication was quite notorious amongst people in my classes. It takes me about a full day to get through half a chapter and most of that chapter I’m forcefully reading as if it were another language since my brain is so cloudy, it just can’t zone in on what I’m reading it feels like it’s on 20 other places. It is a real disaster when I study and 99% of the time I’m doing something else or hitting myself in the head to study… a lot of people in the library like to sit around and watch me study because they found it entertaining.
There were many occasions where in a full week I could barely get through 15% of the material I needed to and even that was half *****. I never accepted my ADHD diagnosis until medical school when it became pretty obvious that it was time to give in. With the meds I scored a 4.0 GPA and got the Dean’s Honor Award for top student in my class.
Fast Forward until now, after finishing up basic sciences from my school I had to give my US Medical Licensing Exam and I was determined to do it with the sole use of caffeine. Let’s just say it has been the greatest disaster of all time. By the time my deadline came around I was about 20% into the material only and I had to take a leave of absence from my school. Just now my doctor and I made the call that it’s time to use the meds regularly.
He doesn’t want me to use them regularly, but the thing is my study schedule has me studying 8-12 hours a day with half a day off on Sundays. This schedule will run me about the next 8 full months… that is a LOT of studying and dedication required on my part.
What I’ve noticed is that my mind is so clear and relaxed on the days I take the meds that the next day it feels like it’s almost pointless to study because I’m making 0 progress and absolutely nothing is going clearly into my head. So I feel like I’ve already reached a point where I am developing some kind of “dependence”, but the question is… is this really dependence because I couldn’t study to save my own life beforehand anyway?
The thought of putting amphetamines into my body 6 days a week for the next 8months sounds VERY scary. Would one day off a week even be enough of a drug holiday to help with tolerance issues? I will be supplementing with various amino acids, minerals, anti-oxidants etc… to help out… but the real issue is with the half lifes and having amphetamine in your body at all times for a continuous period of time reaching a steady state.
>>
2 – I currently am at home studying for board exams and make sure to get MINIMUM 8 hours of sleep a night and if I miss any sleep I make up for it the next night, but I still feel foggy headed all the time which I believe I am mixing up with mental fatigue. My brain just feels like its exhausted and just not there although it has no problem running around to 20 million different places all the time… especially when I’m in bed trying to sleep.
>>
3 – I definitely know about people who chase the euphoria and I do not care at all for the euphoria since if I started chasing it I would be upping my dose every week. I just did not feel the same ability to stay on task and be focused as I did with the first dose of XR or my previous doses of Vyvanse. I am going to take today off to relax and not hyper-focus on my meds and then the next 2-3 days I will be taking the XR consecutively and seeing how that works out.
>>
My current dose is actually a bit lower then my previous Vyvanse 70mg dose because I thought I would start out lower if I was going to use it regularly, I will report back on the weekend with how it worked out.
>>
I am very long winded and unorganized with my thoughts and I apologize in advance, I tried to be brief and to the point but I don’t think that really happened?
__________________
ADHD: 1 Medications: 0
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-29-11, 06:49 AM
pechemignonne's Avatar
pechemignonne pechemignonne is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: La Belle Province
Posts: 3,045
Thanks: 4,401
Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMD View Post
As for dependence this is what I’m worried about. Seeing myself function with the meds vs. without definitely makes me see the world in a whole new light. I’ve always suffered from an extreme handicap in school due to my symptoms, but one way or another I just fought through it and faced the consequences. Now I definitely didn’t perform upto the best of my abilities and it did hold me back in a lot of ways, but I just refused to medicated myself with an amphetamine daily, it was a totally absurd idea… I sometimes question how this med is even legal so do all my medical colleagues.[/size][/font]
Um, why? It treats ADHD. Why would they make it illegal for us to treat our ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMD View Post
1 – My inability to study without medication was quite notorious amongst people in my classes. It takes me about a full day to get through half a chapter and most of that chapter I’m forcefully reading as if it were another language since my brain is so cloudy, it just can’t zone in on what I’m reading it feels like it’s on 20 other places. It is a real disaster when I study and 99% of the time I’m doing something else or hitting myself in the head to study… a lot of people in the library like to sit around and watch me study because they found it entertaining.

There were many occasions where in a full week I could barely get through 15% of the material I needed to and even that was half *****. I never accepted my ADHD diagnosis until medical school when it became pretty obvious that it was time to give in. With the meds I scored a 4.0 GPA and got the Dean’s Honor Award for top student in my class.
In which case, why would only take the meds some of the time? What are so concerned about happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMD View Post
Fast Forward until now, after finishing up basic sciences from my school I had to give my US Medical Licensing Exam and I was determined to do it with the sole use of caffeine. Let’s just say it has been the greatest disaster of all time. By the time my deadline came around I was about 20% into the material only and I had to take a leave of absence from my school. Just now my doctor and I made the call that it’s time to use the meds regularly.
He doesn’t want me to use them regularly, but the thing is my study schedule has me studying 8-12 hours a day with half a day off on Sundays. This schedule will run me about the next 8 full months… that is a LOT of studying and dedication required on my part.
Why doesn't he want you to use them regularly?

The only rationale behind "drug holidays" was for children, first because it was thought that ADHD was a learning disability (and not a global executive functioning disorder), and then because of concerns about children's growth being affected by the stimulants.

Russell Barkley wrote in 2004 that such "drug holidays" were no longer considered necessary or even safe across the board. (Barkley, R. A. (2004). Adolescents with ADHD: An overview of empirically based treatments. Journal of Psychiatric Practice, 10, 39-56.)

People can take ADHD meds for years and years without having it stop working for them. I don't understand what is so concerning to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMD View Post
What I’ve noticed is that my mind is so clear and relaxed on the days I take the meds that the next day it feels like it’s almost pointless to study because I’m making 0 progress and absolutely nothing is going clearly into my head. So I feel like I’ve already reached a point where I am developing some kind of “dependence”, but the question is… is this really dependence because I couldn’t study to save my own life beforehand anyway?
The thought of putting amphetamines into my body 6 days a week for the next 8months sounds VERY scary. Would one day off a week even be enough of a drug holiday to help with tolerance issues? I will be supplementing with various amino acids, minerals, anti-oxidants etc… to help out… but the real issue is with the half lifes and having amphetamine in your body at all times for a continuous period of time reaching a steady state.
So what are the effects of having amphetamine (if you're using a dex) in your body at all times? Is there something that you know that we don't? Because as far as I know, it's not particularly dangerous at therapeutic levels.

If what you say is true, you have been diagnosed with ADHD, and it is impairing your ability to study (and I presume other aspects of your life), but you and your doctor seem afraid of treating your ADHD according to the current standard of care, which does not include "breaks" or "vacations" from the medications.
__________________
"I know I talk too much, but I am really trying to overcome it, and although I say far too much, yet if you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit for it!"
Anne of Green Gables, by L. M. Montgomery

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
BR549 (12-29-11), drb10080 (12-29-11), Kaimei (12-29-11), sarahsweets (12-29-11)
  #12  
Old 12-29-11, 10:02 AM
cattail's Avatar
cattail cattail is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 241
Thanks: 183
Thanked 219 Times in 103 Posts
cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

To me consistency would be the most important thing. The fact that you feel calm and focused on the days you take your meds and not so on the days you don't is evidence that you have ADHD. You are correct, you couldn't study before without meds and you still can't. This is independent of whatever schedule you take them on. If it were me I would take them every day. Right now you need these meds for what you are working on in the immediate future. Worry less about future tolerance. If you will be done with this study schedule in 8 months, then think about what you want to do to tame your ADHD symptoms when you get to your new daily schedule.

I would personally find another Dr. because s/he does not understand how taking meds every other day would cause the roller coaster you are describing. If you felt the need to take days off I would pick weekends or 2 days you don't need to study. Also, in the 8 months on meds I really had to change the way I worked and studied. It is a complete 180 as before I was doing anything I could to MAINTAIN focus. Now I have to CONTROL focus. This in entirely new skill set and I feel I am just getting the hang of it. Figuring this out and developing new study skills will be much harder if you are switching back and forth between maintaining and controlling focus. Plus if you take them every day your body would be able to adjust and some of the side affects would go away too, wouldn't they? They did for me, but everyone is different.

What scares me, is that as an almost Dr., you find the idea of daily stimulants "a very scary thing". Many people here have taken these meds daily for years. Look at the Adderall success stories sticky. These medications have been taken safely for years my millions and millions of people. I have taken 40 mcg of Adderall daily for 8 months. My life is better. Not just my study ability, but my personal life as well. I am a better friend, better scientist, better pet owner and generally more in control.

As your patient I would prefer to talk to you while you were on meds. I want a Dr. that is focused and able to concentrate on what I am saying and not miss something important. Adderall is not just for studying but for anything that requires the calm clarity you described. Listening to patients and making life saving/threatening medical decisions seems to fall under that category!
__________________
The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do.
-Sarah Ban Breathnach
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cattail For This Useful Post:
BR549 (12-29-11), love2knit (12-30-11), pechemignonne (12-29-11), Rimski (12-03-12)
  #13  
Old 12-29-11, 10:11 AM
cattail's Avatar
cattail cattail is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 241
Thanks: 183
Thanked 219 Times in 103 Posts
cattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nicecattail is just really nice
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

HappyMD, please please please educate yourself better about amphetamines as therapy for ADHD and the affects of taking them long term. You yourself are a perfect case study of why they are legal and prescribed. Without them you would likely not be able to be an MD. Do you think that would be the correct decision? Do you think you will be a better informed Dr. because you study better on Adderall/Vyvanse? Being a Dr. is all about absorbing, recalling and putting together information to help diagnose and treat patients. That is what stimulants help ADHD brains do.

Please, use your experiences with ADHD and stimulant medication to teach your fellow doctors why it is ok to take daily. It sounds like your only negative is that you can't maintain your muscle tone like you would prefer. Learn from those on here that need them to function in life on a daily basis and share this with your colleagues. There are some many misconceptions out there and you are expressing them here and revealing those that other Dr.s have.

If one does not have ADHD it is impossible/difficult to understand what a benefit and necessity stimulant meds are. Please please please use your position to help other MDs understand this and stop doing what your doctor is doing.
__________________
The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do.
-Sarah Ban Breathnach
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-29-11, 10:36 AM
Kaimei's Avatar
Kaimei Kaimei is offline
ADDvanced Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,044
Thanks: 592
Thanked 1,455 Times in 580 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

First of all, you may be one of the people who does better on IR than XR. Something I've noticed on here is that XR either works great or not at all. Secondly, Adderall usually requires a titration period, to build up to the right dose. I started at 10 mgs, which was great for the first few days, but now I've gone up to 15 mgs (if I'm taking Barr) or 20 mgs (Corepharma) every four hours. My normal dose is 60 Ms a day. Taking more than that gives me no benefit, and taking less leaves me half functional, at best.

Twenty mgs over Ann entire day seems like a small dose, and it may be insufficient for you. And when it comes to tolerance, that's an individual thing. Not everyone develops tolerance. I haven't. Also, it's reapply not a matter of willpower, which is what you seem to be making it out to be. It's not something you can just buckle down and overcome if you just try harder, only "resorting" to taking your meds if you're having a "weak" moment. Sure, some of us don't need to take our meds all the time, but the impact of ADHD isn't something you can tough out. Eventually, you're always going to reach the end of your unmedicated abilities, and no amount of willpower, tenacity, or moral strength it's going to change the way your brain is wired.

I tried to do much the same thing you are, and my doctor read me the riot act. Either I could manage my ADHD or not, but inconsistent use of my meds was worse than no meds at all.
__________________
I am not forgetful - I have Inappropriate Recall Timing. I never forget anything - but I remember it at the wrong time.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaimei For This Useful Post:
BR549 (12-29-11), cattail (12-29-11), pechemignonne (12-29-11)
  #15  
Old 12-29-11, 07:01 PM
DegreeHunter DegreeHunter is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 122
Thanks: 8
Thanked 44 Times in 34 Posts
DegreeHunter is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall every other day to avoid Tolerance - good or bad?

@pechemignone

Not saying it should be illegal, it’s just a bit surprising something so powerful and with questionable long term effects is so readily and easily available. I cannot even believe how many students in my med school class used the medication just for the sake of pulling massive all nighters whereas someone like me who really needed it avoided the meds

What I am concerned about is the real life long term effects. From a medical standpoint it’s almost impossible that it has no/limited long term side effects. There are a lot of workout supplements (creatine) etc… that have no proper scientific studies for or against the effects, but this is just because no one has conducted a full on scientific study that would be accepted by the medical community and this is because for it to be accepted it would have to be a fairly extensive and detailed study and it would have to be highly controlled and no matter how accurate it was there would be people who would be able to point out some errors in the method of the study.

Basically I just have a fear of the “possible long term effects”. Why I fear them so much? Because I was hoping to use the medication only up until my examination and then trying to slowly get back off and stick to just pushing my way through life. Some of the effects involved may make this quite difficult.>>


Now I know the logical thing to do is accept my diagnosis and take my meds forever, but I just can’t see myself using the meds for the rest of my life… maybe I’m just in denial and having a hard time accepting my need for them? I don’t know… I just know that I am not comfortable taking the meds for extended periods of time. I am not trying to argue with any of you as I came here for advice from the real experts. No amount of medical knowledge is worth anything when it comes face to face with real life experience and people who have actually personally used the medication and seen it’s effects.


The reason he didn’t want me using it regularly is because he was totally freaked out about addiction and sat me down and lectured me about addiction and abuse. The whole idea of drug holidays came from my hours and hours of reading these forums, it seemed to be a recurring topic and a lot of people seemed to be for it… I will look more into it. I take one day off a week anyway to kind of sit around and do nothing since the rest of the week I’m studying so hard, so I guess that could be my “drug holiday” or whatever I want to call it haha

As for the effects I don’t really see much conclusive evidence other than a lot of people have been using it for a lot of years. This doesn’t say much because a lot of people think INSTANT DEATH is the only sign of something bad happening. There may be a lot of things happening internally to the mind/body that we are unaware of and on the other hand there may be absolutely nothing happening. I just am failing to see how anything that affects Dopamine and is used regularly will have no effects whatsoever after long term use.

@Cattail
I have made the call to take the med’s daily because I don’t see how putting myself through a one day on one day off rollercoaster would have any benefit for me, it seems to actually be extremely counterproductive since I won’t be able to adjust/adapt properly to the meds and understand how I react to them.

What you said about controlling focus is 100% correct, the other day I ended up all over the forums and I spent about 8 hours reading different threads. Being all over the place and jumping tasks is normal behavior for me without my meds, but this time it felt kind of difficult to stop reading about my meds and move on to the next task at hand. Today is a LOT better, I feel like I’m adapting better and learning to control the meds better.

The first couple times the meds seemed to work well for my social anxiety, I felt like talking to everyone and anyone. Today I feel more like “in the zone” meaning that I just want to get my studying done and not be distracted by socializing. Today has been a VERY productive day.

As for the “very scary thing” part, it’s not really my medical opinion, its more-so my personal opinion. I am very cautious about what I put into my body and I like to know all possible effects. I was scrutinized in the gym quite often about my issues with creatine use. At the same time I have friends who use steroids and I’ve helped coach them through a proper cycle and never tried to scare them away from it, so I guess I’m more of a chicken when it comes to putting things into my own body.

As for educating myself on the topic, I have been educating myself on the topic for the past 3 years using both medical resources (fellow doctors, medical books/journals) as well as real world experiences from forums/friends etc… I have my own concerns about the use of the meds so I’ve just made my own personal opinion on them. I do realize that this medication has been a life changer for a lot of people on this forum, so I truly do apologize if I offend any of you with my opinions, I am here for advice and input not to try and argue with anyone. I have read hundreds or actually probably thousands of threads on this forum over the past years and I take into consideration everyone’s unique perspective on things.

My colleagues have no problems with the meds, a lot of them use them off prescription anyway, but the understanding amongst us all is that we would never use it long term. I have not openly expressed my diagnosis to them, we just kind of joke around about it. Well I guess I contradicted myself because techinically if they aren’t fine with the long term use then they aren’t really fine with the proper method of use. I guess being a doctor makes you more aware and paranoid of the effects.


@Kaimei
I definitely want to experiment with different meds, but in about a weeks time I head down to Texas for a 7 week period so I will be getting one last prescription next week to cover those 7 weeks so I won’t be able to really experiment unfortunately. What sucks is that during this 7 week period I will be taking a prep course for my board exams in which we will be studying pretty much all day everyday so I will need my meds to be working as efficiently as possible. I am very prone to becoming very tolerant to things and being unaffected by large doses of whatever I am taking, hopefully things workout better this time around.
__________________
ADHD: 1 Medications: 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first day on Adderall, is euphoria normal? David Smith Adderall 19 02-19-14 05:35 PM
My Adderall Journal (bad experience - 33 year old female) That1WierdGirl Adderall 22 11-23-12 11:55 PM
4th Time's a Charm: First Date w/ Dexedrine- Your Sloppy Seconds. What Will I Expect? MedStudent82 Dexedrine/Dextrostat 5 01-13-12 04:37 PM
From Adderall to Vyvanse ToastedBunny Vyvanse 2 03-10-11 03:36 AM
ADD vs. Bipolar-1 good day followed by 3 bad ones Typer0149 General ADD Talk 6 04-05-09 01:49 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2014 ADD Forums