ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 12-28-11, 10:59 PM

Givsmetheshiver is on a distinguished road
Talking Having Trouble Forming WORDS!

Help! My story reads like everyone else's story on the forum. I was put on Vyvanse after Strattera and everything was fine for a while. Then after about 6 mos. I had trouble thinking of words and finishing sentences.

I would know what I was trying to say but couldn't think of the word to communicate what I was talking about....and not hard words...words like
"sour cream" or "sympathy."

I stopped taking my Vyvanse for 2 mos. I loved it. I sort of like my ADHD, but the world has a little trouble with it. My co-workers were about to kill me.....so I got back on it....this time at a lower dose.

I forgot how bad the word thing was until today when I couldn't tell my husband what I was buying at the grocery because I couldn't think of how to say "sour cream." I was on the phone in the grocery saying "you know...it is white and thick and you put it on baked potatoes."

Should I try another medication, or just go "commando."
Old 12-31-11, 12:49 PM

Givsmetheshiver is on a distinguished road
Re: Having Trouble Forming WORDS!

So I'm the only one with this? Great
Old 01-02-12, 07:45 PM
Contributor

jman05 is on a distinguished road

After taking Vyvanse for a while I started to have similar problems, but it it coincided with feeling sad, lethargic, and out of it. I just started to feel worse than when I was off it and just not personable at all. I felt "slower" mentally and had more trouble speaking clearly and was less articulate. It is unfortunate because that has been the only med that has worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-12, 06:25 PM

sankalot is on a distinguished road

I wasn't looking for THIS side-affect when I came to this site and didn't relate it to Vyvanse when it occurred. My wife thought I was showing stroke symptoms recently when my speech would stutter at times and I'd forget simple words during general conversation. I noticed it, too, and our family doctor agreed and sent me to ER. MRI and everything was normal. Have others taking Vyvanse noticed speech problems?
Old 03-20-12, 12:05 AM

lindsey91 is on a distinguished road

i'm sorry to uproot this old thread, but i have a similar issue. i forget how to spell really simple words. my ability to type on the computer seems to have been lost. i have difficulty piecing together sentences, and then i get obsessive. i blame it on lack of sleep-- let's pray these symptoms go away!
Old 03-20-12, 11:29 PM

honda612 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problems when taking my 40mg dose. It dulled me down too much I belive.
Old 03-21-12, 06:33 AM

AronP24 is on a distinguished road

same problems..I think the meds combined with lack of sleep causes this for me

but the vyvanse no doubt is the major factor..don't have the problem when I'm not taking it

It might be because it is speed..therefore your brain is moving faster than you can form the words and get them out..you are already rushing ahead to say the next thing so it just comes out sounding like saidr[agh'o
Old 03-27-12, 11:32 PM

SouthpawSN95 is on a distinguished road

I just was diagnosed and started taking Vyvanse three days ago. This is my first treatment of any kind for ADHD and I am experiencing the same problem. Within 5 hours of taking my medication I started to slur words although it mostly happens when I am trying to explain a prudent point (i.e. I am really into the discussion which seems like almost always now!).
Old 03-30-12, 01:43 PM

kitchenette is on a distinguished road

Wow, yes. I had this; problems retrieving words, problems articulating words when speaking, and--especially weird--the inability to write and type properly--words would come out with the letters all switched around. It was definitely not the same as having thoughts that race out ahead of your mouth--I experience THAT all the time.
Old 03-31-12, 10:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

John836 is on a distinguished road

I take 70mg of Vyvanse. I have a similar issue but it's welcomed for me. One of the reasons I wanted to try a stimulant was because my brain works at the speed of light but my mouth has trouble keeping up. It made me feel dumb because when I talked to people, I would stumble on some words. The best way to describe it is this: My mouth would feel like it was getting stuck in the mud sometimes. It wasn't a studder but rather I would have to stop through part of the word and start over.

Since I started taking Vyvanse, my thought process is a little slower and it allows my brain speed and mouth speed to match. Or it could just be the Vyvanse removing some impulsivity and this allows me to think more clearly before I speak. Either way, I really appreciate what Vyvanse does for me.
Old 04-02-12, 08:20 AM

Dony164 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem, the medication also makes me rather more or less "Live in my head" I think about everything i do or say, in a way i'm more self consious about everything. I believe it's this quality of the medication that makes us have trouble forming words sometimes because our brain is already occupied with "Important buisness" Serious buisness.
Old 04-06-12, 11:49 PM

Candy_M is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem on vyvanse. I went to order taco bell at the drive thru the other day and I couldn't think of burritto. I was looking at a picture of it but couldn't for the life of me think of the word! It's been happening a lot actually. But that was the most memorable because I started to panic that I wouldn't be able to order and there were people behind me.
It's not the thoughts racing and speech can't keep up thing. This is totally different. It's like a blank space in your mind. It's pretty freaky. Never experienced anything like this before.

ADHD - Inattentive
Depression
Anxiety
Old 04-08-12, 11:59 AM
Jr Member

The Insomniac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronP24 View Post
same problems..I think the meds combined with lack of sleep causes this for me

but the vyvanse no doubt is the major factor..don't have the problem when I'm not taking it

It might be because it is speed..therefore your brain is moving faster than you can form the words and get them out..you are already rushing ahead to say the next thing so it just comes out sounding like saidr[agh'o
Wait...my brain is moving faster? How, exactly? I thought speed raised dopamine levels and quickened heartbeat.
Old 04-09-12, 05:41 PM
Jr Member

Lane277 is on a distinguished road

This is weird. I actually had the same problem before taking Vyvanse, which was my first and so far only ADHD medication.

The first day of taking Vyvanse, I was using words I hadn't used in years. Thought and sentences were forming effortlessly and I had no problems whatsoever. Since the first day, all that has been lost and my ADHD symptoms are back in full force. I don't know if I'm just not taking a high enough dosage or if vyvanse isn't the medication for me.

My doctor and I have discussed other medications, but right now he's taking a "wait and see" approach as he increases my dosage each week. Currently I'm taking 40 mg a day.
Old 04-16-12, 09:32 PM

js81pa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givsmetheshiver View Post
Help! My story reads like everyone else's story on the forum. I was put on Vyvanse after Strattera and everything was fine for a while. Then after about 6 mos. I had trouble thinking of words and finishing sentences.

I would know what I was trying to say but couldn't think of the word to communicate what I was talking about....and not hard words...words like
"sour cream" or "sympathy."

I stopped taking my Vyvanse for 2 mos. I loved it. I sort of like my ADHD, but the world has a little trouble with it. My co-workers were about to kill me.....so I got back on it....this time at a lower dose.

I forgot how bad the word thing was until today when I couldn't tell my husband what I was buying at the grocery because I couldn't think of how to say "sour cream." I was on the phone in the grocery saying "you know...it is white and thick and you put it on baked potatoes."

Should I try another medication, or just go "commando."
Wow! I once read about a lady that had a stroke in her left side of the brain and she said, the right side forms words and the left articulates them so when she spoke, she knew what she wanted to say but no one could understand. That is really interesting because I would think Vyvanse would benefit the whole brain, especially the left. Dopamine does have an inverse relationship with Serotonin, not sure how the Vyvanse affects Serotonin but potentially, it could in theory? maybe lower it, which could definitely impact your brain long-term. I recently read that depression was actually an atrophied brain and that SSRI's boost Serotinin and actually rebuild the brain, if this is true, blunting serotonin definitely could result in a negative side effect of atrophying some areas of the brain maybe? But on the flip side, I am pretty sure amphetamines are good for ones brain to a point, maybe only certain regions (especially those involved in concentration/focus). Now, with that said, long-term amphetamines do increase oxidants, might increase plaques in the brain and damage nerves/neurons potentially as a consequence, might be more of an abuse issue but I'm not certain on this. If you are relatively young, I doubt any of these problems are what you are experiencing but something to look in to further. I have read that coffee can cause TOT (tip of the tongue syndrom) not sure why, but it could be a dopamine thing. Maybe you are so hyperfocused on other things, maybe the dosage is just too high. Do you get better the very next day? If so, I doubt it is serious. I would talk to the Dr. though and discuss this.

A possibly safer drug you could give a shot is called L-Deprenyl (Seliguline). It is an MAOI. It is used to treat depression but seems to have a positive effect on ADD. It PROTECTS neurons and seems to make mice and old dogs live longer So, you could try it if the Doctor allows and see how it works for you but there are problems with taking that and stims, I believe you need to be off stims awhile before you give it a try. There are also food interactions since MAOI's have a lot of reaction issues you have to be careful for (just think of all the labels you see on medications that ask if you are taking an MAOI, there everywhere). I personally want to try it, just to see. I have also taken Ephedrine Sulfate/Caffeine/Aspirin and this works great for me but again, not sure on side effects. I believe it targets norepinephrine rather than dopamine but it might allow more dopamine to be used, rather than converted? Not sure. Vitamin D and fish oil with EPA should also help, lower your carbs before bed to reduce Growth Hormone blunting, don't sleep with the lights on etc. Consider avoiding coffee and take a magnesium supplement. You could consider nicotine gum or patch but you might get hooked and there are gonna be some side effects with this too. Surprisingly though, nicotine and caffeine seem to protect against parkinson's disease which I suspect means they are protecting our dopiminergic neurons But be careful mixing and matching, I am funny drinking coffee and taking 30mg Vyvanse, it can cause unkown problems.