ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 01-06-12, 08:13 AM
Jr Member

migamiga is on a distinguished road
Please read & give honest advice. Newly diagnosed at age 29

Hi. new member here. I would REALLY appreciate some experienced ppl to comment/advise on my experience below. I'll be really honest with my experiences and I'd like for you to be honest with me as well.

I came upon this in the Dexadrine VS Adderall thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by person2person View Post
I'm not a big fan of dexedrine. I liked adderall a lot, the dexedrine takes forever (1-2 hrs) to start working, it's way too sedating for me... Adderall had no sedation, I found it to be just as smooth as dexedrine, actually smoother because I didn't have any noticeable crash or weird mood shifts or headaches. I figured since adderall was fairly smooth, if Dex was smoother it would be a winner, but I wouldn't say it's smooth, more like it's DULL. I feel like Dex makes me anti-social (and my verbal acuity is diminished) and I am much more forgetful... basically to me Dex feels like it's "missing something", I constantly have the "tip of my tongue" phenomenon, I feel like I'm losing my way with words...

Dexedrine seems like the ideal drug for hyperactive/impulsive types, I can take 5mg and it will put me STRAIGHT to sleep... I'm almost completely inattentive and have no hyperactive and very minor impulsive traits.

With Dex I feel like i'm "fighting" the medication.
the part that I bolded really hits the nail on the head.... not so sure about anti-social part, but the rest I can relate to.

[ much less articulate than normal ]

dex (generic 5mg tabs) makes me much less articulate (gets worse with dosage i'm pretty sure...like more than 20-30mg?)... So this does affect me socially...sometimes makes me more quiet than i normally am because I don't want to fumble with my words (which I normally do not do). I think it depends on dosage also. I'm a very well-spoken, very articulate person. (not trying to boast or anything). Dex makes me feel like I can't come up with the words...like they're stuck on my tongue. I speak 3 languages pretty fluently, but dex makes me feel like I'm really uncomfortable with English (my first language!!!)....like i may have learned the language for like 10 years as a second language in school...but suddenly, I MOVE to that country and am trying to express myself while being worried about tenses, grammar, conjugation, etc. It's really weird.

[ forgetfulness, cold hands ]

it also makes me forgetful sometimes like the other guy above was saying, and also paranoid that I am forgetting something... I think my mind races more. it makes my RIGHT hand (the one I write with) REALLY cold...might be related to the fact that my right hand is the one that's usually elevated on the desk, writing something, while my left hand is lower and relaxed... My feet feel quite cold.

[ feeling like I'm gonna die soon.... ]

I described the feeling on dex to my wife as.....like I'm gonna die soon--I better get stuff DONE so I can be ready to meet my Maker.....(higher dose of course (maybe 25+ mg) and that's the reason why I feel like I need to do so many things at once/be really productive.

[ dex not as good of a kick in the pants as adderall ]

I was surprised at how 5mg of dex even helps me wake up fully. Doesn't really give me a kick in the pants, though. I usually take 15-30mg. I sometimes take like 15mg and then another 10mg a couple hours later, etc...

[ insomnia ]

I think I have less trouble sleeping after dex than adderall, but I could be wrong. I'm definitely having trouble sleeping and sometimes even wine doesn't help me enough to fall asleep until REALLY early in the morning

I think adderall makes me sweat more...but that may be because I either take a half or a full 30mg tab (generic). I think I've done 45mg total before.

[ the HIGH ]

I admit, I enjoy the high/buzz that is more pronounced with Adderall. It only lasts for a little while...maybe 10-20 min. It's actually VERY similar to being on e. Makes me EXTREMELY optimistic for this short period of time...want to hug my wife...be more open about feelings...be more sexual/physical...listen to trance music... This usually takes the 15mg or 30mg of adderall taken at once...or if i take maybe 20+ mg of dexadrine at once... It kinda sucks when the high/buzz wanes...the focus and being wide alert is still there. I can see how if i'm not careful I could start chasing the high/buzz and build up a high tolerance quickly. I REALLY don't want to do that. I've stopped using other substances and have reduced my alcohol consumption by quite a bit.

[ the sex ]

I'm a very sexual person. much more than most people that I know, but maybe no more than the average teenager who grew up fantasizing all day long about having sex... dex/adderall both make me think about having sex MOST of the time. The feeling dies a bit if I have a release.. Thinking about sex is probably the biggest distractor for me while on dex or adderall. Anyone else feel this way? E definitely does that to people as well and of course they're both amphetamines.

[ super focused in a distracted state.............FML (look it up) ]

My friend told me that adderall does NOTHING for motivation. That's gotta be all me. Once I BEGIN to do something productive, the drug can help me stay on course. I kinda agree with this because sometimes I'll be on it...low or high dose...and I'll just be COMPLETELY unproductive More often than not, I'll get very focused in a VERY unproductive/distracted state. For example, even right now I am on this forum and writing this really descriptive post when I SHOULD be studying. I often find myself shopping online and checking for deals or researching about stuff that I want to buy later--such as the latest and greatest electronic gadget/gizmo...... First thing I noticed a while back when I just tried adderall for the first time, was that I would get super focused one ONE thing and then go on tangents and get stuck in those super focused distracted tracks....... granted, it was probably too much to take like 15mg/30mg at once at that time...

[ before dex / adderall ]

OK, I reaaaally need to get back to studying. and it's almost 4AM.... I've wasted over a couple hours reading through posts and writing this.

I hope that you guys can help me and give me some sound advice. I saw some stuff about taking fish oil, sam-e, multivitamins....avoiding acidic foods, taking TUMS... I am really new to this and I have very little time/room for error right now... studying for a very big exam coming up in 3 mo or more.

See, right there I got distracted again. the meds could be wearing off...I took 30 total (20 dex, then another 10mg)... That was like 8-10 hours ago, however...... so maybe that's my problem? I need to start taking it earlier and also spread it out more... I'm probably crashing right now.

BEFORE dex / adderall / ADD.... to be quite honest only a couple friends thought maybe i could have ADD. I had tried it in college once before to pull an all nighter (for the first time--and it worked)... I graduated, but with ****ty grades. have been bouncing from job to job...usually getting fired for attendance/punctuality....but I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent, empathetic, and decent person.... now that I'm married there is a lot of expectation and feeling of responsibility to make a career for myself.

I wasn't sure I had ADD...I think I am just lazy...extremely lazy...and don't prioritize well. Always want instant gratification and can't make sacrifices that for delayed gratification. When I met with the psychiatrist nurse, honestly my goal was to get a script...or rather, I was afraid that I wasn't going to get a script. But, I was very honest and open with her (just like I have been in this entire post) about all my circumstances and experiences since I was in highschool to college and beyond and described everything in excruciating detail She diagnosed me with ADD saying that I had all the classic symptoms and ever since she's been prescribing me as much as I want, whichever i want. (adderall and/or dex) I was not hyperactive as a child... I got all A's through high school (which is not hard when you do HW and extra credit). I thought i was pretty smart...was top 5% in school and maybe top 5-15% on standardized tests. I'm more creative, artistic, and maybe better problem solver than most people that I know. Unfortunately, I am studying in a field that I am not naturally smart in....Science--which requires a ton of memorizing and regurgitating facts. I'm a really good writer and editor of papers. Not sure if this post shows that, but I'm pretty tired, it's late, and I'm crashing from the dex I took maybe 10 hours ago.

so far I have seen a lot of positives. I've never studied this much in my life...although there is still a lot of distractions going on and wasting time. Another positive is appetite suppression. It's helped me lose most of my excess fat. It kicked my caffeine addiction pretty INSTANTLY...haha, that was quite uncanny.

Some negatives are the sleeplessness (if I take it too late...like past 2PM???), food doesn't taste AS good I don't think....some emotional episodes.......sometimes getting super focused on sex or other distractions like the internet... REALLY cold right hand and pretty cold feet (normally not like this ever).

I might edit this or add to this later. Thanks for reading and I thank you for taking the time to give me your honest opinion. Please don't hesitate to ask questions for clarification, etc..
The Following User Says Thank You to migamiga For This Useful Post:
neewsmonth (01-07-12)
Old 01-06-12, 06:14 PM
Jr Member

Re: Please read & give honest advice. Newly diagnosed at age 29

so it's clear, i've only taken up to maybe 45mg of either medication. usually up to 30mg. if i start in the early to mid-evening, I'll take only 15 or 20mg. This is total in a day. I've read of people taking like 30mg 3x a day....so I hope I'm not on track to abusing it and gaining a high tolerance.
Old 01-06-12, 08:43 PM
Jr Member

i guess i made this too long and daunting. Another thing I want to add is that i seem to lose some manual dexterity--at least in right hand (writing hand). seems harder to write and have that fine control of my fingers/wrist/hand......and typing even maybe. fingers just not as nimble....just a tiny bit. i think this is probably just due to my hand being so damn cold....

are there any fixes for a cold hand??? I didn't really think about cold hands with adderall, but it's there..maybe slightly less than dexedrine.

I've used dex/adderall for pulling maybe 2 all-nighters. When do you know that you absolutely NEED to sleep before it becomes dangerous? I'm guessing since i've never read about ppl dying from e, adderall, dex....(not so sure about crystal meth)....that one can feel pretty safe while taking it. Unless, of course, you have a pre-existing heart condition or something.

thanks again
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-12, 12:36 PM
Contributor

CaptainCadet is just really niceCaptainCadet is just really niceCaptainCadet is just really niceCaptainCadet is just really nice

I don't think I fit the bill for experienced user or anything, and I only skimmed your post a bit (so if what I'm saying is not helpful, sorry!) but I think the best thing to do would be to talk to your doctor about it, which is pretty general and generic advice, but it's probably worth the peace of mind.

In other news, welcome to the forums!
Old 01-07-12, 05:08 PM

OneRubySlipper will become famous soon enough

Hello there!
About the cold hands.. Amphetamines are vasoconstrictors just like caffene and cigarettes. Exercise will help dialate blood vessels.

Amphetamines are also pretty powerful diuretics. I notice my circulation is better when I drink enough water. My theory is that the blood is thicker when the body is dehydrated and thinner when there is enough water to go around.

As many have said before.. I find my meds are MUCH more effective if I get enough quality sleep.

In other words, eat, sleep, drink water consistantly and exercise regularly. It is simple but it takes a little getting used to while taking meds.

I hope some of this helps.
Old 01-07-12, 05:16 PM

OneRubySlipper will become famous soon enough

P.s. I often give myself this very good advice but I very seldom follow it..

The more I do, the better I feel. :-)