ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-04, 11:36 PM
Committee Member

ltlangl2 is on a distinguished road
Just a quick question regarding supplements for treatment of ADD / ADHD

Has anyone tried attentive child? I just bought it today and will be seeing if my daughter will benefit from it. I will keep u all posted!
Old 10-09-04, 12:34 PM

Thanked 10,043 Times in 3,161 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
I take Omega 3 Long Chain Fatty Acids as a supplement to my meds, diet and excercise. The key word is "supplement." Good luck.
Old 10-09-04, 02:07 PM

caj is on a distinguished road
My son started taking that at the beginning of the school year. I had taken him off his meds over the summer and wasn't sure what I was going to do, so thought I'd try it. Without knowing that he had ADD, after talking to his teacher she told me that she often saw him lose focus during the school day, especially during group activities. He was also having lots of difficulties completing assignments. My husband and I (after much deliberating) decided to try Strattera (he was on Concerta last year but wasn't eating AT ALL). So far, so good. I hadn't told his teacher about putting him on meds, but she approached me and said she noticed a tremendous difference in his ability to stay on task and complete his work. I'm not trying to keep information from her, I just sort of wanted varification that his attention was an issue (geez, when does the denial end?) and also, varification that the meds were making a difference, without her looking for a difference because she knew he was on meds. Anyway, you have nothing to lose by trying it, and with any luck, it will make a difference for your daughter. I do know that all of the ingredients are recommended as a natural treatment for ADD, which would always be my first preference...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-04, 05:57 AM

MindResearcher will become famous soon enough
Hi, just an opinion, I beleive straterra should be used for children , instead of Adderall, Ritalin Dex. If straterra doesnt work for a child, say under 10 or so, then add welbutrin. But iv read some research were docs are titrating 2-3 meds on kids like 9 yrs old, amphetamines, straterra, etc.

Its funny how some say children dont get adddicted or dependant to amphetamines. But when is the "age" when they will get dependant. I can see if a child is just crazy out of hand, diagnosed basically with severe add, all treatments failed and a low dose of Ritalin helped. But as per first line treatment, i would def tell him to stay on straterra. See my post on natural remodies im going to post, it may help.

MINDRESEARCH
Old 10-10-04, 07:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Who is it that say kids get addicted or dependent to amphetamines?
Old 10-10-04, 02:43 PM

MindResearcher will become famous soon enough
Amphetamines/Natural COmbos and other.

Living add, Im sorry i did work that wrong, I meant that im seeing doctors perscribe adderlal, ritalin these drugs, how safe is it for someones brain still growing. I read the first post on attentive child. The funny thing, dont laugh, but i actually bought a product called concentrate, and read in small for innatentive children, naturally. So i looked at the ingreadience, and to me, i was suprized that all 5 ingredience, even though were not very high in doses, but if you take 6 a day would be enough, were a great combonation. DMAE 100mgs, Phosphotydlserine (from soybean lethecin) 60mg, Taurine 50mg, L-Theanine 25mg and N-Acetyl-cystiene. Now, from what i see, I notice 3 of the 5 which will produce dopamine, 4 will increase aceytlcholine and NAC, which is a great anitoxidant, esp for the lungs. But now this was not expensive, used for children and i though i could benifit some from it.
Now Higher Minds from S>Nat is probably the top product I ever seen besides Vaxa, for memory, and also heling ADD. Now Im getting at a mix of different nutrients. Now you could not do this with 8 drugs, but these are natural, so, after checking the warning label, and then trying to get that perfect product which has everything all in one is very tough.

NOOTROPICS: Now, In reference To ADD, you have multiple types. 1-6. So not everyone will respond to a med or nutrient the same. If im the unattentive type, no motivation, bored, dragging and no joy in anything, you not goiong to base a supplement product with Kava,, valaerian, sedative herbs, , Even 5htp or L-Tryptophan could be sedative, but I would take it at bedtime. L-Tyrosine , Munuca p, L-Phenylalanine, along with hydergine , Pemoline, Modifinal, Moresoe Dopamine agonist would be helpful. Then you have to say, do these drugs release dopamine fom the Nucleus accumbens. !!! Even the aminos and such, I really wish someone had a link or a chart which displayed the actual biochemical or neurochemical pathway besides ok, it releases dopamine or reptakes it. Well what part, what receptor and how much binding.

But there are more Nootripics that im not too much aware off or have looked at, but are drugs like thus not toxic. Iv downloaded a list of about 100 or so Psych drugs and did find about 20-25 dopamine drugs, either reuptake , release , or are Seperate D1 D2 agonists.

Instead of making this super long, ill just post 1-2 supplement facts that some one may pick up on. Believe me truthfully, I dont just pick one out of a hat!, lol I make sure i have about 3-5 different dowwn loads or information onit, and then read them, and put together the most quality of information relating to ADD. Now , Being its ADD , there again are 6 types, so say for example , Gabatropic, which is moresoe a gabaenergic and does have properties which help one with moreso AdHD, to calm them down some, even with a stimulant.

So, I hope i dont get booted for too long of posts!! But since feedback on this site is not negative, like a few days ago when a guy told me my post was long so i must be flying , and ready to go into amphetamine psychosis and be having panic attacks.

Well, then posting so about 50 others could see, said my next doc appoint have him send me to a mental hospital first thing. Now, Being that i was in a proper state of mind, i didnt punch my computer, like i would of but i came back with a professional mannor and just said, you my friend are on the wrong board, becuase were talking about add, and amphetamines,, not computer learning for children and behavior disorders .

MR
The Following User Says Thank You to MindResearcher For This Useful Post:
js81pa (05-26-12)
Old 10-11-04, 01:08 PM

To the best of my knowledge, I know of no research that has shown longitudinal validity and reliability regarding diet as an effective first line treament for ADHD. I do believe though that Omega 3's show the most promise, which is why I take them as a supplement.
Old 10-11-04, 06:38 PM
Contributor

gingagirl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindResearcher
Im getting at a mix of different nutrients. Now you could not do this with 8 drugs, but these are natural, so, after checking the warning label, and then trying to get that perfect product which has everything all in one is very tough.
In the purest sense of the word, a drug is any substance that changes the way your body functions (mentally or physically) ...whether the substance comes from nature or from a lab, it is still a drug.

If a supplement is "strong enough" to improve your health, it may also be "strong enough" to harm your health. My mother was taking a natural supplement (I don't remember what supplement, it was something that started with the letter "G" ...gingko, ginseng, ???), and she noticed an increase in her blood pressure while taking the supplement. When she stopped taking the supplement, she was able to reduce her meds for high blood pressure.

Please be careful when taking any substance, be it a prescribed medication or a natural supplement.

"They call me lazy, but it takes all my time..." -- Joe Walsh
"The absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence." -- unknown
Old 11-04-05, 02:14 PM

cynthiatweedle is on a distinguished road
ADHD PediActive

I just started my grandchild on PediActive which has DMAE. I am also giving her a multivitamin and B Total sublingual. Would like to hear from anyone who has tried PediActive or DMAE. Cynthia
Old 11-06-05, 01:32 AM

There's NO SUPPLEMENT found to work as a clinical treatment for ADHD!!!
Old 11-06-05, 02:23 AM

scuro has disabled reputation
...but there sure is a market for them!
Old 11-07-05, 10:25 AM

Dmae

http://intelegen.com/nutrients/dmae_...ncing_life.htm

DMAE: Cognitive-Enhancing Life-Extending Nutrient

Anti-Aging Nutrient Review and Update Part 4
Ward Dean, M.D.

Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) is a naturally-occurring, mild cerebral stimulant nutrient found in such “brain” foods as anchovies and sardines.

A closely related substance—Diethylaminoethanol (DEAE, or its trademarked form DEANER™) (Fig. 1) was considered a drug by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and at one time was approved as being possibly effective for the following conditions:

1. Learning problems associated with underachieving and shortened attention span.
2. Behavior problems associated with hyperactivity.
3. Combined hyperkinetic behavior and learning disorders with underachieving, reading and speech difficulties, impaired motor coordination, and impulsive/compulsive behavior, often described as asocial, antisocial or delinquent.

In the late 1970s, DEANER was discontinued from the U.S. Pharmacopoeia by the FDA because its manufacturer, understandably, did not choose to undergo the rigorous and expensive retesting that the FDA was then requiring of many natural, no-longer-patentable preparations.

Fortunately, DMAE possesses all of the properties that were claimed for its close cousin, DEAE.

Safe, Effective Solution to Adult and Childhood Learning Disorders
The learning problems just mentioned, although usually childhood disorders, are also seen in adults, and not infrequently. The disorders are usually treated with much more potent and addictive amphetamines (like Ritalin®, or Adderal®).

DMAE provides a safe and non-addictive form of therapy. It has been used for years to improve behavioral disorders in children, and results in positive effects on intelligence and grades as well. DMAE produces a mild stimulant effect, which develops slowly over a period of several weeks. There is no drug-like letdown or depression if it is discontinued.1

In 1958, Dr. Leon Oettinger, Jr., found that DMAE:2
• Accelerated mental processes
• Improved concentration
• Stopped early morning “fogginess”
• Relieved lassitude and mild depression
• Was useful in schizophrenia of long duration (with prolonged treatment)
• Decreased irritability and reduced overactivity, leading to a much better overall social adaptation and improved scholastic functioning
• Increased attention
• Did not cause drowsiness
• Improved IQ!
Furthermore, Dr. Oettinger found that DMAE had numerous advantages over the amphetamines (like Ritalin) in that there were no effects on heart rate or blood pressure and no induced “jitteriness.” Instead of causing anorexia (loss of appetite) like the amphetamines, he found that DMAE actually improved appetite in many patients and caused no interference with sleep. In fact, he found that DMAE actually reduced sleep requirements. Dr. Oettinger concluded that DMAE “was a most useful tool in the handling of the child with behavioral problems.”

It is worth a try as an alternative to prescription meds.

Last edited by cynthiatweedle; 11-07-05 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Adding a thought
Old 11-07-05, 10:27 AM

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,932 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Cynthia, posing as a concerned grandma and spamming is disgusting.

Phaedrus

Old 11-07-05, 10:29 AM

Grandma

What is spamming? I am a concerned grandmother. What is disgusting about that?

Last edited by cynthiatweedle; 11-07-05 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Adding a thought
Old 11-07-05, 10:38 AM

OK, I am waiting for answer. Explain yourself. I am a 62 year old grandmother of a child with ADHD and have ADHD myself. I find your remark offensive.