ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-08-12, 10:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

AC360CNN will become famous soon enough
Does Adderall Make You Feel High... Like Cocaine?

I experimented with cocaine in college with extreme moderation, never impulsively or spontaneously taking it, but I loved it!

Now I'm prescribed Adderall IR, and its oddly similar. Even when I take only half my daily dose, I feel so on top of the world on it, much like cocaine.

Anyways, anyone else feel a similarity between the two?
Old 01-08-12, 11:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does Adderall Make You Feel High... Like Cocaine?

Never tried cocaine.

But Adderall never made me feel euphoric, although as I understand it some people do feel that effect.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 01-08-12, 11:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,455 Times in 580 Posts
Kaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond reputeKaimei has a reputation beyond repute

I've never used cocaine, but I have tried E. That gave me what I would consider a sense of euphoria, but even when I was rolling I was extremely mellow and calm. Never could figure out how it was so popular as a rave drug - until I was diagnosed and realized that ADHD meant that my response to stimulants was different from NTs. Still, I liked E so much that it scared the hell out of me and I stayed well away from it after the third time.

When I first started Adderall, I felt energized - which I differentiate very sharply from euphoric. It wasn't a physiological reaction, it was a psychological one. For the first time in my life, I could actually bring all my attention and abilities onto one thing, and stay there. I felt capable, but in a relaxed way, not the over-confident, d@mn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! way I'd always been. I felt in control. Of course that's going to be mentally and emotionally energizing.

Euphoria, though, no. The closest thing to 'high' I've ever been was when I messed up my titration schedule and took 20 mgs when I was only supposed to take ten. Then I was just waaaay relaxed and slightly floaty. It didn't appeal to me. I was too relaxed - my guy called and told me he'd been in an accident on the freeway and his car was totaled. My response? "Oh. Gosh. Wow. You're - well, you're not hurt? I mean, you're OK, yeah? Umm. Can I help? Should I - should I come get your or something?"
Old 01-09-12, 01:11 AM

Thanked 9,957 Times in 5,408 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never done cocaine or stimulants,I actually bucked taking meds till I was 27 and at that point I kind of had to as my world ws falling apart around me.THe best High I ever had was when I took my motorcycle to 150 mph.
Old 01-09-12, 01:43 AM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Xxxx.

Last edited by purpleToes; 01-09-12 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: Posted to wrong thread.
Old 01-12-12, 04:05 AM

FrozenBulletz is on a distinguished road

Natural high's are the best. Natural euphoria from doing stuff you love. i know it sounds crazy but iv experimented with alot of "substances" and Nothing beats that true natural euphoria its just so pure. and one doesn't feel as guilty as one would with drugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrozenBulletz For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-22-12)
Old 01-13-12, 06:23 PM

Steven_Tyler77 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenBulletz View Post
Natural high's are the best. Natural euphoria from doing stuff you love. i know it sounds crazy but iv experimented with alot of "substances" and Nothing beats that true natural euphoria its just so pure. and one doesn't feel as guilty as one would with drugs.
Yes, I do agree with that. I like doing drugs, but there are many other things that I like doing better. The best high I've ever had was going to an Aerosmith concert: the music made me so happy and I went on feeling euphoric for weeks on end afterwards. There was no substance involved, just my natural dopamine skyrocketing due to the emotion elicited by the artistic act.

However, not everybody feels guilty when using drugs. I do not feel guilty when I get high in a responsible manner. But I do feel bad about myself when I succumb to temptation and abuse substances at the wrong time of day...
Old 01-22-12, 05:32 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

siglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to behold

One of the core tells of ADD is that you don't experience euphoric stimulation from cocaine. Many doctors will ask a patient if they ever tried cocaine and what that was like for them - If they answer that it was sort of a calm focus, maybe more driven but not talking a mile-a-minute and acting like a nutbar, they usually diagnose them with ADD or at least begin the process.

If you're feeling "on top of the world" on Adderall, it may be a good idea to re-evaluate. Some people who actually have ADD will get some euphoria at the onset but it fades fairly quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to siglerja For This Useful Post:
Piper30 (02-23-12)
Old 01-22-12, 05:39 PM

Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Motorcycles are the best drugs.The day I see a bike outside a shrinks office is either the day I die or the shrink had enough of listening to people and got smart and got himself some medication of his own .ohh yeah just what the dr ordered
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
buddy (01-29-12), Offle (01-22-12)
Old 01-22-12, 10:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

cameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by siglerja View Post
One of the core tells of ADD is that you don't experience euphoric stimulation from cocaine. Many doctors will ask a patient if they ever tried cocaine and what that was like for them - If they answer that it was sort of a calm focus, maybe more driven but not talking a mile-a-minute and acting like a nutbar, they usually diagnose them with ADD or at least begin the process.

If you're feeling "on top of the world" on Adderall, it may be a good idea to re-evaluate. Some people who actually have ADD will get some euphoria at the onset but it fades fairly quickly.
I've done cocaine in the past in a bad stage in my life when I did some regrettable things. From what I remember, it was definitely euphoric. I was not bouncing off the walls or talking excessively and rapidly speaking though, but it did feel uplifting, and made me feel confident and perceptive, at least until a very anxious and uncomfortable come down.

I do feel a degree of "well-being" from my Dexedrine, I don't think I would call it euphoric per se as does not feel like anything significantly better than a natural exciting or joyous moment in life. Nor does it come close to the euphoria I get with the codeine I'm prescribed for back pain, and codeine is pretty mild.
Old 01-22-12, 10:40 PM

I dont like to be High I like to get my kicks w out chemicals.I hate it,that w out meds IM so miserable unhappy moody irate,dont feel comfortable in my skin and very agorophobic.Its a shame I need mommies little helper to get on a even keel w out the anger an lo frustrtion tolerance thats plaqued me for a very long time.I didnt deal w it then and now I need to before it really deals w me.If not for my meds I wouldnt be at my current job last 11 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
buddy (01-29-12)
Old 01-22-12, 10:46 PM

Thanked 4,139 Times in 2,020 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of natural Euphorias..... I've always wanted to experience freefalling from a plane, or freefalling inside a plain (the no gravity effect). It would be totally awesome. I'd probably feel more awake over that month than i ever have done before! :P

It just looks..... so amazing! :O
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
La Sleepy (02-03-12), Rebelyell (01-22-12)
Old 01-22-12, 10:53 PM

I want to try those 2 out too,plus repelling of a mt someday.IDK I can barely handle a natural high.Some people have said it would be funny to watch me on drugs.I'd either be very normal like an nt or holy cripes I wouldnt shut up,I dont shut up now and Im not even on sugar.lolblab blab blab yap yap yap.I have people tell me I have an unnatural an unhealthy urge for drugs because I talk about them and inquire about them all the time,IM told its not good to be that curious. since ive suffered from extreme depression most of my life I think drugs of my choice would be uppers.Are being up and down maybe Pot.ive seen nothing good come out of chemical abuse w any of my friends or aquintances
Old 01-23-12, 05:27 PM

Slybfoxx is on a distinguished road

I was at a ADHD conference all weekend, one of the speakers did a powerpoint presentation and compared the two. Both had almost identical "effect" profiles. Don't shoot the messenger!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slybfoxx For This Useful Post:
BonnZaiiTree (01-26-12)
Old 01-27-12, 03:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

siglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to behold

Comparing cocaine to Adderall is like comparing apples to oranges. If the thesis statement or a point the speaker was trying to make centered on simularities between coke and amphetamine, saying the "effect profiles" are similar is just broad, point-driving language for "They're both stimulants." The same could be said for any stimulant drug or substance - Stimulants all carry the same general effect profile, it's the little things and the patient's actions that seperate theraputic drugs from drugs of abuse.

Cocaine's show is almost entirely dopamine, and it really hammers your receptors. It is intended for euphoria and the chemical composition, method of delivery and dosing is centered around experiencing euphoria. The effect is so acute and intense that it has no theraputic value - In fact, it is counterproductive and dangerous to use to self-medicate basically anything with because of the damage it will do to your dopamine reuptake process and your general ability to be stimulated. The brain scan of someone using cocaine looks like a paintball exploded - The brain scan of someone on a theraputic dose of Adderall doesn't look remotely close, especially after the dopamine impact it has in the intial stages of use wears off.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to siglerja For This Useful Post:
astroidea (01-29-12), buddy (01-29-12), Hypoactive (02-24-12), Kaimei (01-28-12), KronarTheBlack (02-21-12), La Sleepy (02-03-12), lookoutRAC (02-13-12), Psychomaze (01-27-12), Rebelyell (01-29-12), Rimski (12-03-12), Shiloh102 (09-24-12)