ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 01-17-12, 02:20 AM
Contributor

gatorADDe has a spectacular aura aboutgatorADDe has a spectacular aura about
Troubles figuring out a medication that works for me

Hey guys,

I'm having some problems figuring out a medication that works for me and I almost feel like giving up on them completely. I'm a 21 year old male, 6'1" 195lbs, and have ADHD- Inattentive type. I was diagnosed last August and have been struggling to find something that works well for me since the start.

Here's what I've tried:

Adderall XR 15mg- It worked well for 5-6 hours or so, then I'd crash when it wore off and I'd feel empty headed and agitated. I'd also feel socially anxious all day.

Vyvanse 30mg - worked GREAT for a short while, maybe 6 hours tops. I know this is weird for vyvanse because it's supposed to last all day, but I seemed to metabolize it very quickly and I crash when it wears off and feel tired the rest of the day.

I liked Vyvanse much more than Adderall, i felt more focused and motivated to get things done while not feeling anxious. I scheduled an appt with my doctor a week ago to talk about my problems I'm having with the vyvanse not lasting long enough. From what I read about Vyvanse, it seemed like the larger the dose you take the longer it will stay in your system considering it's broken down via digestion. He explained that this isn't necessarily true explaining the concept of "half-life" to me. I was stubborn and didn't bother comprehending it at the time so I sort of just demanded trying 50mg of Vyvanse to see if it'd make a difference. He told me I'd probably be disappointed and I am... It's still wearing off early, just a bit stronger. He said it's probably just not the right med for me and now I believe him.

Here's what he suggested when I said Vyvanse wasn't lasting long enough:

Vyvanse 30mg 2x a day- This would be extremely expensive option considering I'd have to pay for 2 scripts.

Ritalin LA 20mg 2x a day - this has a cheap generic that would make this option affordable, but considering it's a different class (methylphenidate) I was reluctant to try it. However, this option seems appealing considering the 50mg let me down and crashing early in the afternoon is causing more harm than no meds at all...

For those of you out there that also have problems with your meds not giving you all day coverage and causing crash symptoms, what have you tried that has worked for you? I'm thinking about giving the Ritalin LA 2x a day a try, how did this med work for you guys?

Thanks in advance for reading
Old 01-17-12, 02:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Troubles figuring out a medication that works for me

Seems like you'd be a decent candidate for Vyvanse once a day followed by an IR dose of either dexedrine or adderall. That's the common approach to treating people who find that an extended-release medication isn't providing the necessary coverage/symptom control.
gatorADDe (01-20-12)
Old 01-17-12, 05:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,941 Times in 14,763 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Did the adderall give you bad side effects? Your dose seems a little low and maybe playing around with that dose would yield better results.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
gatorADDe (01-20-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-12, 12:50 PM
Contributor

gatorADDe has a spectacular aura aboutgatorADDe has a spectacular aura about

While I considered both Adderall XR and vyvanse to be effective while they were in my system, I did notice some big differences. Adderall gave me the kick to get stuff goin, but it gave me this constant low-level of anxiety and also made me feel extremely agitated when it would wear off. I also don't think it did much for helping with concentration in doing things I wouldn't like to do. Vyvanse doesn't give me this kick but it helps more with things like reading things I don't necessarily want to for school and stuff like that. Vyvanse also seems to have a more intense crash feeling in the afternoon. I tried the 50mg Vyvanse and I felt a pressure in my chest all day and couldn't stop tapping my foot and was incredibly restless all day. I think switching off of Vyvanse all together and trying something else is a good idea for me..
Old 01-20-12, 01:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDarren has a spectacular aura aboutADDarren has a spectacular aura about

You could always try opening the 50mg capsule, take 1/2 in the morning, 1/2 in the afternoon. I hope I'm not breaking the rules by suggesting this??
Old 01-20-12, 01:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

cameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of lightcameron90 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDarren View Post
You could always try opening the 50mg capsule, take 1/2 in the morning, 1/2 in the afternoon. I hope I'm not breaking the rules by suggesting this??
I'm not sure if you're breaking any rules but pharmacies do offer services like this and compounding to patients. I'm assuming that these are capsules with a powder inside? (I don't know much about these meds besides dexedrine ir and spansules) I would see if your pharmacy can do this because 1. it's much more accurate in terms of dosing, 2. it's often free or covered by some medical plans 3. there's somebody that knows about the medication, has the expertise and tools 4. you save time.
Old 01-20-12, 07:06 PM

GummiBear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Did the adderall give you bad side effects? Your dose seems a little low and maybe playing around with that dose would yield better results.

Too low???? 15 mg? When I started with 10mg, I had to lie down because my heart was racing so fast and could barely walk. It was absolutely horrible. And that was only one side effect. I was incapacitated for 5-6 hours. 15 mg would have killed me. Even after several months, I still feel sometimes somewhat side effects when I take 15 mg.

Well, sounds like you will have to settle for the most affordable option and make the best out of it. You pay for it yourself 100%? When I tried Concerta and Adderall XR, I paid 50 Dollars for a 1 week supply for each. If you are still feeling all those side effects, you probably have to lower the dose. My doctor has prescribed me too high doses in the past and I just took less then. I'm taking 10-15 mg of Adderall. Personally, I feel that a lower dose is much better when you drink lots of water with it. Makes the 10mg feel like a 15 mg dose. You just have to try different things yourself.
Are you in College? Do they have a pharmacy ? If they do and you haven't been there, I would check them out.