ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Other Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-12, 04:33 PM
Jr Member

MyLogic is on a distinguished road
Idiopathic Hypersomnia

Before being diagnosed with ADHD, I was first diagnosed as having Idiopathic Hypersomnia. Whether or not it is a co-existing condition or simply an atypical symptom of the ADHD is anyone's guess. The same medicines are usually used to treat both.

I am wondering if there is anyone else out there, what struggles they have had, and what solutions they have found.
Old 01-25-12, 08:47 AM

Smilodon_UP is on a distinguished road
Re: Idiopathic Hypersomnia

Just a handy, only semi-on topic tip;

If you manage to get on a free or reduced payment sleep apnea Constant-Pressure mask machine or the like that is monitored be aware having an emergency elsewhere to where you do not sleep your logged amount at home can be interpreted by some clinics as you breaking your contract with them.

Your machine will then be seized and a bill forthcoming - and I have heard this story from multiple people so it isn't by any means an isolated instance.

Nice doctors, aren't they?
Old 02-05-12, 04:49 PM

StoneCatTribal is on a distinguished road

[quote=MyLogic;1236581]Before being diagnosed with ADHD, I was first diagnosed as having Idiopathic Hypersomnia. Whether or not it is a co-existing condition or simply an atypical symptom of the ADHD is anyone's guess. The same medicines are usually used to treat both.

I think they can be totally related - mostly because I have been diagnosed with both. In my research on both ADD/ADHD and idiopathic hypersomnia, there is a lot of discussion on a malfunction of the brain's arousal system. In some ways this makes perfect sense. The brain is under aroused by normal stimuli and so has to find something interesting to wake it up. Hence, why people with ADD/ADHD have such a wide spectrum of behavioral problems and why some are primarily hyperactive vs primarily inattentive. It also explains our ability to hyperfocus, because we are so interested, ours brains so aroused, the rest of the world ceases to exist. I think hypersomnia functions very similarly. Sometimes I feel physically exhausted but most of the time, Iím just sleepy. The doctor I see says that our treatment goal is to stimulate my brain when it is supposed to be awake and put me to sleep when I am supposed to be asleep. I keep hoping for an improvement in symptoms bu so far it has minimal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoneCatTribal For This Useful Post:
Mr.Addams (09-18-12), purpleToes (02-20-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-12, 10:11 PM
Jr Member

MyLogic is on a distinguished road

IdiopathicHypersomnia.org has a post about ADD. I'm on my phone or I'd post the details.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyLogic For This Useful Post:
purpleToes (02-20-12)