ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-01-12, 02:23 AM

alanmt9292 is on a distinguished road
Best workout regiment while taking adderall?

After almost 9 months of not working out (no more sports = no more motivation) and about a month of taking adderall, I've decided that I want to get back into the workout routine. I'm not trying to "GET YOLKED, BRO!!!" or anything, I just want to stay healthy and drop about 5lbs of fat and keep it off. Now, I realize that working out while on adderall can wreak havoc on your body in several ways, so I plan to work out first thing in the morning prior to taking my dose. What I am curious about, is what regiments some of you have had success with. For instance: wake up => workout => breakfast => adderall (after ≈ 1 hour)
v.s. wake up => breakfast => workout => adderall
... so on and so forth (possibly with more steps/variables)
Also, if any of you should have a solid workout program that you've had success with (mostly fat-burning / muscle-defining), I would love to hear them. Chances are I'll be doing "Insanity," but if my friend decides he doesn't want to give me the discs for free... I may be looking for an alternative.
Old 02-01-12, 03:23 AM
Jr Member

doughboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Best workout regiment while taking adderall?

I have been working out for over 10 years now (was a really really fat kid) I recently changed my workout regime after I got diagnosed and went on Concerta.

Unlike yourself, I do take a low dose of my medication (18mg) before the workout and take the remainder (27mg) to reach my full 45mg after I am done. Main reason being that I can't even count my reps properly without my meds and for years before had been going by an approximate guesstimate for my rep and set count.

Personally I prefer to workout 1st thing in the day, main reasons being
- I have control over my mornings before work but not what time my work day ends.
- At the end of the day, after a long work day combined with the wearing off of the meds, I really struggle to get to the gym and will more likely skip.
- I already have trouble relaxing at night to get to sleep, working out a couple of hours before bedtime adds to those difficulties.

As for workout programs, because my body type is the sort that puts on weight very quickly, I go for High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and higher rep counts (about 20 reps each time) but I reserve 1 day a week to lift heavy (about 80% 1 rep max).

So far this seems to work very well for me, dropped about 20lbs and improved strength gains, but it is early days yet and could just be my body adjusting to the change.

As a starting point, you can try Askmen.com which has some very informative articles on working out and how to refine your workout goals.

All the best.
Old 02-01-12, 10:28 AM

alanmt9292 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering though, do you find yourself having a rapid heart rate, faintness, light-headedness, or anything of the like after taking your ≈1/3 dose of concerta? I haven't ever attempted many if any strenuous activities after taking adderall, but in high school I did take some stimulant supplements (NO xplode, NO shotgun, Jack3d, and Animal Pak/Stak) and on occasion I would experience any number of what I mentioned above. I suppose that could just be my individual reaction, but I've been told that I'm not even in the ballpark of pre-hypertension (typically average in the 115/60 range) nor do I have any other heart conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to alanmt9292 For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (02-01-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-12, 08:30 PM
Jr Member

Sorry about the impending wall of text.

I have not taken Adderall before because it is not allowed in Singapore. The closet I have come to an amphetamine based medication (like Adderall) was when I tried some prescribed diet pills, and I have experienced the symptoms that you described above, which is why I quickly stopped.

I usually push myself pretty hard at the gym anyway so I do not notice a change in my heart rate when I am on the low dose of Concerta. However I do find that the workouts seem a lot more effective because I could focus on what I was doing and for once be able to count the reps properly. I did not have any of the other symptoms that you described.

I was just thinking about what you said a bit more, and to be honest if you are going back to the gym after a long break, you might want to avoid taking any form of stimulant, Adderall or any of the other supplements. Reason being that your body is not used to working at a certain level. Find your rhythm first and when you have gotten your groove back and think that maybe increased focus will help you then start at a low does. You do not want to depend on the Adderall the help you push your body.

I also practice this after taking a holiday/break from the gym, and on some days when I am tired and want to take it easy in the gym, I skip the Concerta. My personal view on the medication is that it is supposed to help my mind, not my body.

Also have you discussed this with your doctor? He/she might have better advice on your medication + exercise. I ran it past mine and as she had no objections with the caveat that I listen to my body.

I have to stress that this is personal experience and because I am on a different medication to you, you might have a different experience. Just start off slow and sensible.
Old 02-01-12, 09:46 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,758 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

I have just joined the rec center again after going through a long spell with no exercise. The main thing I've noticed with adderall is that I seem to hyper focus on whatever I'm trying to do. The first time I went, I just did the walking/running machine. I set it to go 45 minutes at a pretty good clip and was ready to die half way through, but I just kept concentrating on maintaining my pace and not quitting early. I don't think I would have treated it with the same single-mindedness without adderall. I am like the energizer bunny or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Possum For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (02-01-12)
Old 02-01-12, 11:37 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,428 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I have just joined the rec center again after going through a long spell with no exercise. The main thing I've noticed with adderall is that I seem to hyper focus on whatever I'm trying to do. The first time I went, I just did the walking/running machine. I set it to go 45 minutes at a pretty good clip and was ready to die half way through, but I just kept concentrating on maintaining my pace and not quitting early. I don't think I would have treated it with the same single-mindedness without adderall. I am like the energizer bunny or something.
I know exactly what you mean, I experienced the same thing. Adderall seemed to take away the issues that would otherwise keep me from exercising regularly. Instead of getting bored a few minutes in and stopping, I could keep on going - in fact, was far more likely to have to talk myself into stopping when I'd been going a couple hours than I was to have to talk myself into keeping on. Also, when I got into the habit of exercising, I found the habit was as hard to break as any bad habit I have ever had. Even when I tried to tell myself I was entitled to a day off, I still wouldn't rest until I'd gone and worked out.

Along with helping me focus it also gave me more energy and stamina and the decrease in appetite made me less likely to eat junk that would slow me down. Going on Adderall pretty much eliminated my lifelong tendency to overeat and to obsess about food.

It's funny how when your appetite is under control you seem to change your attitude about food from living to eat to eating to live. I ate because I knew I needed to eat to keep going and be healthy, and because I wasn't always that hungry, when I did eat it was something I did with purpose and not just because I was following my nose or a craving.

I haven't been doing much regular exercise lately, partly due to not having access to the kind of exercise I really want to do - (either work out at a well-quipped gym or walk daily on hilly, uneven terrain) and partly because I am having difficulty re-establishing the habit.

I would like to start exercising regularly again, but I have to say, for myself I wouldn't even bother trying to work out in the morning BEFORE my Adderall.

To me it'd be like going to school for nuclear physics and taking my hardest class of the day before taking my Adderall, LOL.

If I need Adderall to get on track for my day, to keep me on track during important life tasks and activities, to manage to create and maintain as healthy and balanced and successful a life as I can, then I need it for those reasons.

If I was the kind of person who found it easy or even relatively do-able to routinely rise at the crack of dawn and kick my own butt in the gym before going on with the rest of my day, I probably wouldn't need to be on Adderall in the first place.

Since going on Adderall five years ago, I have rarely if ever exercised without it, and I have never had any indication that my health was in jeopardy because I exercised while on Adderall.

But that's just my take.
The Following User Says Thank You to spunkysmum For This Useful Post:
dusty1 (02-19-12)
Old 02-01-12, 11:58 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,428 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmt9292 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering though, do you find yourself having a rapid heart rate, faintness, light-headedness, or anything of the like after taking your ≈1/3 dose of concerta? I haven't ever attempted many if any strenuous activities after taking adderall, but in high school I did take some stimulant supplements (NO xplode, NO shotgun, Jack3d, and Animal Pak/Stak) and on occasion I would experience any number of what I mentioned above. I suppose that could just be my individual reaction, but I've been told that I'm not even in the ballpark of pre-hypertension (typically average in the 115/60 range) nor do I have any other heart conditions.
I don't know if there's any reason at all to assume that the alarming side effects you experienced with exercising while on energy supplements would be an indicator that you would have experience similar effects while exercising on Adderall.

I've said many times and I will say it again that I trust a safe, responsibly prescribed dose of amphetamine more than I trust all those energy drinks. I have no fear or apprehension about taking Adderall or even exercising while on it, but I am quite leery about all those supplements and especially drinks that are everywhere these days. I turned to these sometimes during the time I wasn't able to afford to refill my Adderall, but it was always with a sense of apprehension, which I don't feel when I take my pill. I can say for sure that I experienced more heart fluttering and especially was a lot more likely to get a headache from an energy supplement or drink.
Old 02-02-12, 06:27 AM
Jr Member

Would have to agree with spunkysmum there.

The supplements that you have mentioned would fall in an industry that is under less Scrutiny than Adderall, and also the effects/side effect of ADD medication would be better understood and researched.

If you have any reservations about taking Adderall and working out, the best source of information would be to consult with your prescribing physician.