ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-12, 02:46 PM
Contributor

gatorADDe has a spectacular aura aboutgatorADDe has a spectacular aura about
I hate the way I look all the time...

I wasn't 100% sure where to put this, but I guess you could call it a body image problem..

Over the past 3-4 years i've felt horribly unhappy with the way I look. I'm a 21 yr old male and since I hit puberty I've always been hairier than my peers. Even in high school I had a carpet of chest hair. I tried to pretend like the "sasquatch" jokes didn't bother me, but honestly they did. Now the hair is just out of control. I have hair all over my back and my beard is very dense. I pretty much have to shave everyday to look clean shaven. I try to tell myself 24/7 to just embrace it, but i can't. I avoid social situations that involve taking off my shirt and I just sort of stay away from girls because i'm afraid they'll just run away when they see how hairy I am! I've been like this for 3-4 years and I seem to be showing all the signs and symptoms of dysthymia because of this...

Anyone else have this problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorADDe For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (02-03-12)
Old 02-02-12, 02:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,449 Times in 3,077 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I hate the way I look all the time...

I'd kill to have more body and facial hair.

If my facial hair actually grew in properly, i'd be able to hide all my pitted acne scars and skin discolouration.

I'm 21 too.
Old 02-02-12, 03:04 PM

Thanked 29,577 Times in 13,638 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I try to tell myself 24/7 to just embrace it, but i can't. I avoid social situations that involve taking off my shirt and I just sort of stay away from girls because i'm afraid they'll just run away when they see how hairy I am!
I know, it's easier said than done (honestly, I do know!!) but please don't try to avoid social situations. I've seen lots of guys who aren't bothered about their hairy chest or back or whatever else and they don't seem to scare girls away with their hairiness either.

Having said that, have you considered looking into more permanent forms of hair removal? E.g. IPL or laser? Not everyone is suitable but from what I've heard they actually do work very well!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
faye64 (07-13-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-12, 03:36 PM

Thanked 6,449 Times in 3,077 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I fail to see why its a problem???

Hairiness is a symbol of manlyhood. Besides, chicks dig guys with their manly facial features and hairy chests. The only thing letting you down is your confidence.
Old 02-02-12, 05:39 PM

DryBones will become famous soon enough

I'm in a similar boat but I've never really had body image issues, except of course for that horrid time we all know as puberty. I always have a 5 o clock shadow, even directly after shaving (?) which doesn't really bother me as much as the way my extremely thick beard hairs stab my face all day. I've just grown it out and man, is it a relief to not feel that anymore.

Anyways, yea I got hair all over, in funny weird little patches on my back. My shoulder and upper arms are covered in hairs that look like pubes lol. I guess it's never really bothered me because I wouldn't even think twice if I saw somebody else with same funny-looking patches of hair (and for the record, most men have hair in funny places).

FWIW, I'm 24, married and my wife isn't bothered by this at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DryBones For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (02-02-12), spunkysmum (02-04-12)
Old 02-02-12, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

GeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to beholdGeordieDave is a splendid one to behold

I'm very hairy!

Some women love it, some hate it... I personally like being hairy, feel more manly
The Following User Says Thank You to GeordieDave For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (02-02-12)
Old 02-03-12, 02:26 AM
Contributor

Thanks for the responses. I think part of the reason why I have trouble accepting it is because of where I live. I live at the beach and it seems like the people I see are either naturally not very hairy or shave. I'm not into shaving my body hair or anything like that, i'd rather live with it. Very rarely will I ever see someone with a very hairy chest and back hair, and if they have it they're like 40 years old. Because I'm exposed to seeing so many people that aren't like me it leads me to believe I'm different and a freak. It's good to know there are people out there that don't care. I guess i just lose my perspective sometimes.
Old 02-04-12, 01:57 AM

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,492 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryBones View Post
I'm in a similar boat but I've never really had body image issues, except of course for that horrid time we all know as puberty. I always have a 5 o clock shadow, even directly after shaving (?) which doesn't really bother me as much as the way himy extremely thick beard hairs stab my face all day. I've just grown it out and man, is it a relief to not feel that anymore.

Anyways, yea I got hair all over, in funny weird little patches on my back. My shoulder and upper arms are covered in hairs that look like pubes lol. I guess it's never really bothered me because I wouldn't even think twice if I saw somebody else with same funny-looking patches of hair (and for the record, most men have hair in funny places).

FWIW, I'm 24, married and my wife isn't bothered by this at all.
Oddly, my boyfriend is prone to a heavy beard and almost constant five-o'clock shadow, and sometimes looks like a swarthy Captain Haddock, but his chest is bare as a baby's. But one place he has patches of hair that seems weird to me is a single patch of dark hair on the side of each wrist.

I have a sibling who is plagued with embarrassing dark hair growth on the chest, and a frequent five o'clock shadow on the chin, upper lip, sideburns and neck.

Unfortunately, it's my sister. So, it could be worse. You could be a woman with a lot of excess hair.
Old 02-04-12, 02:09 AM

Thanked 12,147 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

KT, I wouldn't worry about the hair. I don't really think a whole lot about it when I see a guy with a lot of body hair. I know a guy who has a LOT of body hair. It's never been a in issue with him. He says he does tend to get hot easily. He also says he'd never try to remove it because it would be a full time job keeping up with maintaining the clean, smooth look. He's married (20+ years) with 4 kids. His wife doesn't care at all.

Any woman who doesn't look at you for who you are--your character, not your physical appearance, isn't worth being with. Hair wouldn't factor into the equation when it came down to whether or not I was interested in someone. Personal hygiene? Yes. A lot of body hair? No.

EDIT: I should state for new people who don't know me or haven't seen my old avatar of me---I'm not a guy don't let the rugby avatar fool you.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
gatorADDe (04-10-12), Hyperman87 (02-07-12), spunkysmum (02-04-12)
Old 02-04-12, 07:11 AM

Thanked 29,577 Times in 13,638 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

BR I totally agree with everything you've said, and I love rugby too!! Though I just discovered that in the last world cup!!!!!
Old 02-04-12, 11:21 AM

Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,331 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

Male waxing and laser hair removal.
Old 02-04-12, 11:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

Peachy87 has a spectacular aura aboutPeachy87 has a spectacular aura about

Ya I gotta say, I think hair on a guy is a manly thing. I think it's very sexy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peachy87 For This Useful Post:
gatorADDe (02-04-12)
Old 02-04-12, 11:43 AM
ADDvanced Member

Peachy87 has a spectacular aura aboutPeachy87 has a spectacular aura about

Omg spunky, you just made me laugh!!! That's hysterical, poor sister
Old 02-04-12, 03:33 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachy87 View Post
Ya I gotta say, I think hair on a guy is a manly thing. I think it's very sexy.
Thanks peachy, BR, and spunky! i guess I gotta just be confident with the way I am and find some one that likes it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatorADDe For This Useful Post:
BR549 (02-04-12), Peachy87 (02-04-12)
Old 02-04-12, 03:56 PM

Thanked 12,147 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTGATOR View Post
Thanks peachy, BR, and spunky! i guess I gotta just be confident with the way I am and find some one that likes it!
Definitely. I'm not one for liking the look of a shaved male body. If you are in a competitive sport or have a skin condition that requires it, okay. Otherwise, nothing wrong with hair!

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (02-07-12)