ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-12, 08:31 PM

brainchild is on a distinguished road
ADD-Adderall vs Natural supplements???

Hi everybody my first topic on this forum!!!...I have an important question and this looks like the place to ask it.

I will be 25 years old next month my Dr diagnosed me with ADD when I was in middle school, I took Adderall for a few months and it really helped my focus and grades alot!. Problem was I was having trouble eating and wasnt putting on any weight so I stopped taking it. I gained about 30 pounds in 30 days when I stopped taking it!!!

My focus has always been a problem for me without it, I love to read but it seems like everything I read just I guess you can say 'goes in one ear and out the other'. I have been debating on getting back on adderall for years but I hate the idea of taking a pill everything I dont even take Tylonol or Asprin when I have a headache!.

But a few days ago I took a 20mg Adderall I got from a friend and went to the book store. It was amazing my focus was awesome I could read again!, and my anxiety went away completely, I felt like a million bucks!. But like I said Im more of a all natural kind of person I was wondering if there is a more natural way instead of taking Adderall???.

I remember reading about natural supplements that help the brain but never tried them out does anybody have anything they would recomend that works?...And will it even compare to Adderall???...any tips or info would help alot, thanks!!!

Last edited by trishcan; 02-04-12 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: paragraph breaks
Old 02-06-12, 08:52 PM

brainchild is on a distinguished road
Re: ADD-Adderall vs Natural supplements???

anybody?
Old 02-06-12, 09:12 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,137 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, there isn't anything that is comparable to Adderall or any stimulant that's natural or legal in the US. There are supplements that are touted as being just as good as a stimulant, but my guess is that if they were, the news would have spread like wildfire throughout the ADHD community and beyond.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (02-06-12), Fraser_0762 (02-06-12), salleh (02-07-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-12, 03:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

LaMbaL is just really niceLaMbaL is just really niceLaMbaL is just really niceLaMbaL is just really nice

I have been trying a bunch of supplements. They work, but obviously not on the level of something like Adderall. On the other hand, they have none of the side-effects, which tbh for me is worth the tradeoff.

Imo they are worth trying out, to see how they affect you and if you think that effect is good enough. I would write more, but I havent got the time right now ;(
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

- Jack Kerouac
Old 02-07-12, 05:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,372 Times in 7,826 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Medications are the only scientific proven method for symptom control other then behavior modifications. There are no natural methods that do the same . The only supplement that has studies with helping adhd is fish oil supplements. If meds work then take them . If they give bad side effects then try and find a different one.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-07-12, 06:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,006 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

A balanced diet and regular exercise are the only natural things shown to have a positive effect on the symptoms of ADHD.