ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-06-12, 03:46 PM
Jr Member

h.gal.123 is on a distinguished road
Chest pressure after Adderall wears off , what is it?

hi,

I have taken today 10mg (4-6 hours) for the third time.
I took it in the morning and it seems to help with my ADD.

But after several hours (I think 4h) I started to feel some mild pressure on my chest... like someone sitting on my chest.
Those feelings last for 2-3 hours and I never felt like this before.

I searched google and I found out that a lot of people experienced this pressure because of Adderall.

What is it? I need to be worried and stop taking Adderall?

thank you , [sry for the english]
Old 02-06-12, 04:02 PM
Contributor

gatorADDe has a spectacular aura aboutgatorADDe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Chest pressure after Adderall wears off , what is it?

I dunno exactly why this happens, but the same thing happens to me with Vyvanse when it's wearing off. i think it's anxiety or something because it doesn't do it while it's in my system. wish i knew for sure.
Old 02-06-12, 04:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,146 Times in 2,020 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people experience this. Try drinking more water throughout the day.

But i'd contact your GP, just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-09-12, 02:52 PM
Jr Member

Its not an anxiery + I drinks a lot every day.

I want to know if it is a common issue with Adderall (so I shoudnt be worried , just be carefull).
So I will be happy if more people will respond to my post
thanks
Old 02-09-12, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

LanCo Rider can only hope to improve

I experience palpitations sometimes when my dex is wearing off. I notice it's worse if I consume caffeine throughout the day. Unless you are having palpitations, lightheaded/dizziness or nausea during the "pressure" feeling, I wouldn't sweat it too much. My palpitations seemed to stop occurring after a week or two.

Do you have any pre-existing heart conditions? Irregular heart beat? Previous MI? Heart problems in the family?
Old 02-09-12, 04:29 PM

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I get that all the time with Dexedrine. For me it feels like my heart gets confused and needs to reset itself to being without the Dexedrine when it wears off (pressure, tightness, sometimes severe chest soreness/pain).

I also get that feeling when I take a few days off Dexedrine.
The feeling finally wore off after I stopped taking Dexedrine a week or two ago.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 02-09-12, 04:59 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post
I get that all the time with Dexedrine. For me it feels like my heart gets confused and needs to reset itself to being without the Dexedrine when it wears off (pressure, tightness, sometimes severe chest soreness/pain).

I also get that feeling when I take a few days off Dexedrine.
The feeling finally wore off after I stopped taking Dexedrine a week or two ago.
How long do you feel it? You are not worrying ? (its your heart you know )
Old 02-09-12, 05:38 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,616 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

You know what's WRONG? This is a very commonly experienced effect of stimulants and... THE CORRECT INFORMATION JUST ISN'T OUT THERE for the world to see. This is important to know about your medication. Shocking.
Old 02-09-12, 06:56 PM

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.gal.123 View Post
How long do you feel it? You are not worrying ? (its your heart you know )
Once I had severe chest pain (the whole chest region) for about 20 minutes straight in one day. All other chest pressures are about 7 minutes in length, but can happen more than once in a day.

I have a heart doctor and will have an Echocardiogram (different than a EKG) done next week to see what's up with my heart.
I will also have a heart monitor put on sometime next week.

I am worried about my heart, no doubt about it. I also have circulation problems...cold hands and feet even off stimulants.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE

Last edited by StoicNate; 02-09-12 at 07:07 PM..
Old 02-09-12, 07:03 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,137 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Stimulants are known to cause vasoconstriction. It's something that you definitely don't want to ignore if it's never happened to you before on any other medications or if this is your first time taking stimulants. Just my opinion though and I'm definitely NOT a doctor.

Lanco is right that they can stop after a week or so, after your body adjusts to the medication. However, it could be signaling an underlying condition. Just to be safe, I'd talk to the doc about it.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 02-09-12, 07:06 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,616 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

BR! Where did you find this information?? Did you have to dig and read a ton of information?

Why isn't it common knowledge?! It happens ALL the time! Even Dr.'s don't know. How terrible. Thanks for the info.

What's the source? Would love to see it!
Old 02-09-12, 07:20 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,137 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it was something that I talked about with my sons cardiologist and my pdoc. But also I remember from a college course, discussion of vasoconstrictors and vasodilators.

Here's some info that might be what you are looking for:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19948186

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
Old 02-10-12, 04:30 PM
Jr Member

thanks for the posts

I forgot to mention something:
When I felt the chest pressure and some shortness of breath (very mild) -
I hit myself on the chest several times (some act of massage ). each time I felt strange feeling of something get release , some kind of strange croaking.

I realy dont know how to respond to this.
On the one hand
I feel very frustrated because of the ADD , and maybe Adderall can help me. A lot of peope take Adderall every day so I shoudnt be worried.
But on the other
A lot of google research lead me to a new words like "vasoconstiction " , "Angina pectoris"... --- Its sound wrong.

To be honest - I dont sure if Adderall is solution or problem
Old 02-10-12, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

siglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to beholdsiglerja is a splendid one to behold

1.) Go to a pharmacy.
2.) Buy "Bronch-Aid" or "Mucinex". Basically you want a bronchilator - I don't know if these are sold in Israel but Guafestien alone or combined with Ephendrine / Sudaphed should help.
3.) Take it towards the end of your Adderall dose's effects.

Problem solved.

And if it isn't, it's probably allergy-related or has something to do with the comedown from Adderall and your blood flow / heart rate. Talk to your doctor about Intuiv (Tenex) or Propanalol.

Do you have any history of heartburn or acid reflux? Adderall tends to make these worse, and that can have a huge impact on your breathing. If the above solutions don't work, try an antacid or acid medication like Prilosec or Tagment and see how that works.

In general, Adderall helps you breath better. It dries out nasal membranes, thins mucus, etc as a side effect, which can be good and bad. It's almost identical to pseudophedrine, which is used for congestion and breathing problems due to cold, allergies, etc. The rebound from this as it wears off can cause the mucus to thicken, which makes breathing more difficult. Vaporizers / humidifiers help this, as do OTC products for loosening mucus.
The Following User Says Thank You to siglerja For This Useful Post:
BlackorWhite (02-24-12)
Old 02-11-12, 06:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

LanCo Rider can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.gal.123 View Post
A lot of google research lead me to a new words like "vasoconstiction " , "Angina pectoris"... --- Its sound wrong.
Yea it's def not angina if it's happening all the time or for periods longer than 5 minutes or so.