ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-09-12, 08:52 PM
Jr Member

DeepSouth is on a distinguished road
Adderall Prices? - First prescription

Hey guys, I just got diagnosed or unofficially diasnosed today, psychiatrist gave me Adderall for this month, I wanted to try Vyvanse first but he said it was too high, turn out Adderall XR isnt much cheaper. I currently dont have insurance (I have insurance but currently no funds for medications), they give me like $800 every august and I have used it all up with previous prescriptions (none related to ADHD). This is the first time I have been prescribed any med for this. I paid 195 cash for 30 count of 20mg Adderall XR. Is this normal price without insurance? I talked to the pharmacist and he said pretty much all XR medications (Focalin, Concerta etc.) are all pretty much the same price. He told me the cheapest thing to do with Adderall, was next month ask the doc to write IR in 3-4 seperate dosages, because the Adderall IR are cheaper and it would save me at least 70-80 bucks total. I would also like to add they also had the Adderall XR "generic" but it was gonna be that big of a price difference, so I went the Shire version. Is there any help for people like me, like coupons or anything from Shire, anything? What is everyones advice. It must be nice having full coverage on medications. Dang I need to get a better job that supplies full medical/medication coverage.

Thanks guys,
Old 02-09-12, 08:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall Prices? - First prescription

Adderall IR tends to be cheaper, but shortages over the past year or so have led prices to more than triple in most places. Mine went from 40/month to 140/month (in one month's time) but my last script was around 130.

As for prescription assistance, because both IR and XR are available in generic form, there isn't anything formally offered by drug companies. There is a patient assistance program for Vyvanse--you could get that for free if you apply. I was hoping health insurance would save me, but apparently I have to pay premiums for twelve months before they'll cover my meds, as my ADHD is a pre-existing condition. Lovely.
DeepSouth (02-09-12)
Old 02-09-12, 09:47 PM
Jr Member

Yeah, $130 is pretty much what mine would come out to if he prescribes IR next month. I'm pretty sure he will do it, as long as I respond good to the XR , he will surely do it for financial reasons. He was gonna give me Vyvanse but said it was way too expensive, It would have cost more than the Adderall but prob not that much higher. $195 is ridiculous for 30 pills.

Where do you apply for the patient assistant program for Vyvanse. I wonder why you cant do it for Adderall, since they are both made by Shire?
The Following User Says Thank You to DeepSouth For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (02-10-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-12, 09:50 PM
Super Mooderator

Thanked 12,131 Times in 7,189 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

You can go to the Vyvanse website to apply. www.vyvanse.com

The reason you can't with Adderall is because it has a generic counterpart. Once it goes generic, they manufacturer drops the patient assistance program, since generic is cheaper.

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
DeepSouth (02-09-12), spunkysmum (02-10-12)
Old 02-09-12, 09:50 PM
Jr Member

Also, I know I said this in the beginning post but there wasnt a price difference in the Adderall XR or generic Adderall XR. It might have saved me 10 bucks or so in the end, but not enough to make me want the generic. It still would have been $180 or so. Maybe the prices will go back down one day, hopefully I can get some insurance or a better one. I wish I just had a plan to pay for medications, the Doctor visits are not that bad.
Old 02-09-12, 09:53 PM
Super Mooderator

BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that they usually do go down in price once the shortages are over. But XR has always been higher in price than IR.

I pay $86 or for a 90 day supply of XR (90 caps). That's with insurance.

"no talk
no, talk
~Abi
Old 02-09-12, 10:03 PM
Jr Member

Thats awesome. You pretty much pay a dollar a pill. Thanks for telling me about the Patient assistance program. I am gonna call them tommorrow. I looked at the form and it looks like that its pretty much a prescription the doctor would have mailed to him or me with the Vyvanse. But then it always says on there, thats there is a patient assistance card to be used at Pharmacy. The form has me confused but I will call them tomm. That would be awesome to get a card to be used at the pharmacy after getting prescribed Vyvance. I want to try it, especially if I would get at least a 1/2 off discount all the way to free. Im pretty sure with the household income and all that applys, it wont be free.
Old 02-09-12, 10:06 PM
Super Mooderator

Well, you never know! Walgreens also has a prescription card that you pay $20 for (I think) and it allows you to get prescriptions at a discount price. Might look into that too.

Let us know how it turns out!!

"no talk
no, talk
~Abi
Old 02-09-12, 10:17 PM
Jr Member

Im definately going to look into it, I know the Adderall IR will be cheaper but dang all these generic forms, never knowing what brand Im going to get. I couldnt argue with the doc about starting off on Adderall though, he pretty much knew I was ADD after 2 years of seeing him for something totally different. I can already tell a difference the first day, my family can. Not saying Adderall is my final med, I may try a few different ones especially Vyvanse if I can get a little help on it. Has Adderall been the only med you have been on? Tried any others? But once again thanks for the info, and Ill definately let you know how it turns out. I am new to the boards, but I will be staying around!
Old 02-09-12, 10:24 PM
Super Mooderator

I was started on Concerta and moved to Adderall XR and then I take an IR booster. But those are the only two.

"no talk
no, talk
~Abi
Old 02-09-12, 10:28 PM

trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouth View Post
Thats awesome. You pretty much pay a dollar a pill. Thanks for telling me about the Patient assistance program. I am gonna call them tommorrow. I looked at the form and it looks like that its pretty much a prescription the doctor would have mailed to him or me with the Vyvanse. But then it always says on there, thats there is a patient assistance card to be used at Pharmacy. The form has me confused but I will call them tomm. That would be awesome to get a card to be used at the pharmacy after getting prescribed Vyvance. I want to try it, especially if I would get at least a 1/2 off discount all the way to free. Im pretty sure with the household income and all that applys, it wont be free.
I've used that program previously. You fill out the application and the doctor has to complete part of it and attach a prescription for Vyvanse. After the application is processed, you get a card in the mail. Your doctor writes you an actual prescription, which you take to the pharmacy with the card. Voila-free meds. I think the income guidelines were around 150% (if not higher) FPL.
BR549 (02-09-12)
Old 02-10-12, 02:37 AM
Jr Member

Trishcan.. so how exactly do it work? Do i carry the form with me to the next doctors appointment and let him fill it out? Or do I get it ton before appt with him? Because it would take a while for all that to get processed and them even decide what kind of benefits to give me. Plus getting the card. Maybe I will carry the form and get him to fill out, while he writes another Adderall scripts the next time. You can PM me and explain how it works if you want.
Old 02-10-12, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Trishcan.. so how exactly do it work? Do i carry the form with me to the next doctors appointment and let him fill it out? Or do I get it ton before appt with him? Because it would take a while for all that to get processed and them even decide what kind of benefits to give me. Plus getting the card. Maybe I will carry the form and get him to fill out, while he writes another Adderall scripts the next time. You can PM me and explain how it works if you want.
What I would do is fill print it out, fill out all the sections you can, attach a copy of your most recent tax return, and bring it in to your doctor's office as soon as possible and ask that he complete it. Maybe give him a call ahead of time to say that you guys had discussed Vyvanse and cost-effective meds and you'd like to take advantage of the patient assistance program. I don't remember what the turn-around time is on the application, but you'd probably need about a month's supply of adderall to get you through until the card arrives from the time your doctor submits the patient assistance app.
Old 02-10-12, 02:41 AM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,429 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe the prices will go back down one day,.
Your mouth to God's ears.
Old 02-10-12, 07:30 AM

Thanked 16,451 Times in 7,425 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Op if it makes any difference to you adderall xr brand and generic are both made by shire.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?