ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 02-15-12, 05:19 AM
Social Committee Moderator

Thanked 14,281 Times in 7,144 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dietary roots of diseases and disorders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_UK View Post
The point though is that with ADHD comes a shift in reward systems.

We're not (no matter how much we think we are) actually interested in any of that.

Evolution is doing the clever thing of making our survival conditional on as little in the material world (beyond our control) as possible.

A state of mind is replacing all of those various chemical substances as our reward system.

It's the definition of 'freedom' which mankind has been reaching towards.

Freedom from material desire/attachment.
Absolute bollocks.

In fact I would argue the exact opposite.

The ADDer cannot deal with delayed gratification.

He wants it NOW and as such is more likely than the NTer to be a hedonist.

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

I can't tell [Willem Dafoe] from David Archuleta - Sarek

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Amtram (02-16-12), pechemignonne (02-15-12)
Old 02-15-12, 05:37 AM

Thanked 5,930 Times in 4,301 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
Absolute bollocks.

In fact I would argue the exact opposite.

The ADDer cannot deal with delayed gratification.

He wants it NOW and as such is more likely than the NTer to be a hedonist.
Stress relief.

Under constant stress - the ADDer reaches for instant stress relief (gratification).

You're right - it's just that you need to ask why (do we not appear to be able to delay gratification) ?

We're not a group of people who cannot control our urges.

We're under constant mind-blowing stress which requires stress-relief in order to maintain our sanity; hence the INCREDIBLE association between ADDers and the drugs of stress-relief.

And also our medication of dexedrine which acts upon the stress-relief pathway.

The medication quietens the alarm bells of a raging stress response - and I've described many times on site that the medication removed my desire (actively) to take any of the chemical reward system stimulants (exactly the ones which you mention).

Medication's a bit like cutting the power to your fire alarm.

We're being 'played' (negative sense) by our own minds.

The only solution to the problems we're reporting is stress-relief.

Stress-relief is ensured by simply introducing line 3 of my signature.

Nobody thereafter can make you counter your own sense of morality.

You're free.

IGNORE LIST BEING USED - 8 ENTRIES
T - 1 before communication becomes futile.
The Following User Says Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (02-15-12)
Old 02-15-12, 05:54 AM

Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB
Imagine for a second that the economic system were to collapse - which it appears it's doing - you won't be able to access any of those factors (cigarettes, fast food etc) anyway.
That happened in the FSU.

Lithuania now has the highest suicide rate in the world, followed by Russia.

I think about 6 of the top 10 on the suicide list are FSU/Eastern Bloc countries like Latvia, Estonia, Hungary, Kazakhstan etc

[S]pain may have possession of the ball, but we [D]utchies have possession of illegal substances - Sarek

The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (02-15-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-12, 05:58 AM

Their stress remained.

Suicides would be expected to increase.

Suicides or worse.
Quote:
krokodil
The only solution is to remove the key [mental level] stressor - immorality (defined above) - therby removing the need to relieve it.

I have sufficient personal experience to know that stimulant medication followed by transcending the need (as described above) is the only workable solution.

Stimulant medication is simply a stopgap solution (the best we have) to a stressful (bad) world - a stopgap solution which requires societal change in order to eliminate the key stressor [immorality] to eliminate the need.

It should be mentioned that stimulant medication is a far better solution (less dirty) than all of the other chemicals which satisfy (self-medicate) the stress-relief (dopaminergic) circuit
- though it's hardly ideal.

We need a society free from the stressors (there's only really 1 stressor which we need consider - see line 3 of signature) which require such significant measures (medication/self-medication) for stress-relief.

The Following User Says Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (02-15-12)
Old 02-15-12, 05:59 AM

From Wiki

1 Lithuania
2 South Korea
3 Guyana
4 Kazakhstan
5 Belarus
6 Hungary
7 Japan
8 Latvia
9 People's Republic of China
10 Slovenia

I was wrong about Russia being number 2, its presently #12, with Ukraine at 13.

I got my 6 out of 10 Eastern bloc countries right tho.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
SB_UK (02-15-12), Unmanagable (02-15-12)
Old 02-15-12, 06:04 AM

Interesting.. 7 of the BOTTOM 10 are island nations.

Lets go to an island paradise SB

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
LynneC (02-15-12), SB_UK (02-15-12), Unmanagable (02-15-12)
Old 02-15-12, 06:08 AM

Trying herb tea without stevia - I do not now appear to be having a reaction.

Crazy stuff !

There's a problem with stevia.

Old 02-15-12, 06:08 AM

The Fisherman and The Investment Banker
Anonymous

The American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.
The fisherman replied, only a little while.

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.

The American then asked, "but what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15-20 years." "But what then?"

The American laughed and said that's the best part. "When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions.. Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
Amtram (02-16-12), LynneC (02-15-12), pechemignonne (02-15-12), SB_UK (02-15-12), Unmanagable (02-15-12)
Old 02-15-12, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Interesting.. 7 of the BOTTOM 10 are island nations.

Lets go to an island paradise SB
Personally - I'm particularly temperature sensitive these days - and not at all heat sensitive -

(up until 10 years ago I hated the heat and loved the cold)

- and so someplace with the temperature profile of Marseille would suit me (now) perfectly.

Is this shift in optimal temperature contexts related to ADD/metabolism ?
Yes.

Old 02-15-12, 06:16 AM

Quote:

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."
And that's all anybody/people need to understand.

Old 02-15-12, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

People do understand it. But if everybody did that, investment bankers wouldn't get rich.

Which is why Mexicans are not allowed to just hang out and fish for their families.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Abi (02-15-12)
Old 02-15-12, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Special report: The hungry generation

One young child in four around the world is too malnourished to grow properly, a major new investigation reveals
Some recent data here; frightening figures.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-6917533.html

Quote:
One young child in four around the world is too malnourished to grow properly, a major new investigation reveals
Metabolic efficiency would absolutely select.
The Western world overflowing in starch/sugar is a blip in the evolution of life - which has traditionally spent it all locating an energetic source to fuel its biochemistry.

Metabolism (efficient) together with Infectious disease susceptibility (increased) which would select.

Both are accomplished by a switch from facultative to obligate aerobic metabolism.

The body has a mechanism for the switch (see Sapolsky, Dutch Hunger Winter) and we know that imprinted epi-alleles persist (Marcus Pembrey, SGP paper).

The rest (the ADDer's experience) is life in an environment of more than we can handle (food and stress) driving stress-relief which exacerbates stress; a vicious cycle.

At its root - what we're stressed by is having to live our lives to immoral rules.

It's not right for some to have far more than they need when others don't have enough.

Money + Law enforce inequality, through wealth condensation and the wealth condensing into the hands of lawyer/politicians (the privileged) who control the police/army and work to maintain the status quo; the status quo of ever increasing inequality - in which they're (the lawyer/politician) the lucky recipients of the condensed wealth.

We're stressed by the immorality/illogicality of societal infrastructure.

Fix that, and all of our problems go away.

Line 3 of my signature should be pretty much enough; abolish wage slavery (cf. Noam Chomsky's writings) and no man need contravene his own sense of morality.

Last edited by SB_UK; 02-15-12 at 11:29 AM..
Old 02-15-12, 11:31 AM

Concluding

The story of human disease (including the disorder in ADHD and the advantage in ADHD) can be understood from an evolutionary switch in metabolism from (and simplifying, because glucose levels are required throughout - it's a change in emphasis) from glucose-only ->- to ->- fat-'only' (it's a change in emphasis) usage.

Old 02-15-12, 11:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 1,872 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB_UK View Post
Concluding

The story of human disease (including the disorder in ADHD and the advantage in ADHD) can be understood from an evolutionary switch in metabolism from (and simplifying, because glucose levels are required throughout - it's a change in emphasis) from glucose-only ->- to ->- fat-'only' (it's a change in emphasis) usage.
None of this has been shown to be true in any way in this thread.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following User Says Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Amtram (02-16-12)
Old 02-15-12, 12:02 PM

That's basically Atkins/Scarsdale.

If you remain on that diet for more than a few months, you suffer multiple organ failure as your body starts to consume them.

Dr. Atkins died obese.

The Following User Says Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
pechemignonne (02-15-12)