ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-12, 09:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall Ruined My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa0332 View Post
I'm on a medicine that makes me act weird around people. I'm miserable without it, though. It's a crutch. I am honestly, truthfully, dependent on it. I don't get work done without it and the lady I teach with makes me look bad on purpose in front of everyone else when I don't get something done. (that's a long story) So I have to take something that makes me work a decent amount. If I had never taken it I would have an average work ethic on my own.

Taken from post #186 just read it
I see that as dependence and not abuse. I also wonder if the doctor who prescribed the adderall this time around is aware of the problems it has caused. If so, I might be willing to consider the doctor's actions "abuse."
Old 03-18-12, 09:58 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,738 Times in 1,615 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueranne View Post
Tired, what if the Adderall makes your state of being worse? Will your current semi-functionality be worth it? This is where my worry and frustration is. You know Adderall is bad for you, but you don't know how you will respond to other drugs. I only suggest Wellbutrin because for me it *felt* like it helped my brain catch up after stopping Adderall.

You may not have a mood disorder, but you did say you think the Adderall made you have "manic thoughts". I can only compare your situation to what I've experienced and it appears very much like a dysphoric hypomania. Besides that there are people without mood disorders who simply can't tolerate stimulants without moodstabilizers. It's really not all that uncommon. I don't have stats for you, I just know this because of that bipolar forum which I've mentioned to you before.
You know what my frustration is? The real dangers of the drugs aren't addressed and they are pushed under the rug. I don't trust dr.'s who don't know what they are talking about, because they are not given the information from the companies. I have been to four dr.'s. WAIT, no I've been to five. I mentioned problems with adderall to all of them... and they witnessed them. They didn't take them seriously. When I was withdrawling from the stuff I was almost suicidal. I had zapping in my brain. Dr.'s don't know how to deal with that stuff. Even the best ones. The research isn't there. They are for the most part told positive things about the medicines. The company is really irresponsible, selfish, and greedy. I would never, ever put medicine out into the world and cause SO MUCH harm like they have.
Old 03-18-12, 10:00 PM

trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired1823 View Post
I see that everyone who takes adderall for a long time basically becomes a little addicted to amphetamines. They can't function without it, right?

The industry has given everyone another term... "dependent". They are just hiding the truth about amphetamines.
I wouldn't disagree with you that many of us are dependent on our medications. I absolutely could not imagine my life without them. I envy the hell out of people who take entire weekends off and still manage to function at all. I think the difference is that my medication doesn't make me feel guilty or bad at all, so being dependent isn't an issue for me the way it was for you.

I have the option to continue taking it indefinitely, whereas people who have experiences like yours are forced to choose between two ugly alternatives--ceasing the medication and dealing with the loss of symptom control/improved functioning or continuing the medication despite everything it continues to cost you. I'm grateful that I've never had to make that choice, because I honestly don't think I could.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-12, 10:03 PM
Banned

tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

The dr. that prescribes me is not above avoiding responsibility. He is aware of the problems. I've told him a lot. He actually lied to me one time and said "i've never heard of it doing that." (I told him it was effecting my relationships and I wanted to get off of it.) Yea right. Well, if he really hadn't, he should have. The information should have been given to him by the pharmaceutical companies. More importantly, he shouldn't be prescribing it. He's a PCP. But the weird part was... the other four dr.'s didn't think my problems were a big deal. Gosh.. I could write forever about this. My dr.'s honestly failed the crap out of me. I was trying so hard. aaah SUCH a long story.

When I first take my medicine in the morning... I feel great and fine.. then I start to realize how crappy everything really is.
Old 03-18-12, 10:05 PM
Jr Member

boa0332 is on a distinguished road

Yes, your right Dependence but all the same it doesn't seem to be working like it should for her. I was taking Vyvanse for over a year lost my job and insurance walked away from it without a care. Really seen no need to keep taking it.
-Life moving event: Reading a book for the first time from cover to cover. You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! And cried my eyes out.
-When I say "I don't know why I did that." I really mean, I don't know why I did that!
Old 03-18-12, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishcan View Post
I wouldn't disagree with you that many of us are dependent on our medications. I absolutely could not imagine my life without them. I envy the hell out of people who take entire weekends off and still manage to function at all. I think the difference is that my medication doesn't make me feel guilty or bad at all, so being dependent isn't an issue for me the way it was for you.

I have the option to continue taking it indefinitely, whereas people who have experiences like yours are forced to choose between two ugly alternatives--ceasing the medication and dealing with the loss of symptom control/improved functioning or continuing the medication despite everything it continues to cost you. I'm grateful that I've never had to make that choice, because I honestly don't think I could.
Thank you Trishcan. You know what's going on. This is all very true and refreshing.
Old 03-18-12, 10:13 PM

Quote:
When I first take my medicine in the morning... I feel great and fine.. then I start to realize how crappy everything really is.
This is something I recognize from a period in my life where I was dependent on substances. And it's awful. This might be too personal a question (and my apologies if it is...feel free to ignore if you want), but have you attempted/considered some sort of drug and alcohol treatment program? I realize you're not dependent in the same way as those you might say have made the choice to abuse drugs, but the outcome is essentially the same. I've found drugs don't really give a crap about your intentions while destroying your life.

It sounds like you've seen some truly horrible doctors. I'm shocked that anyone would have decided the most logical course of action was to ignore the problem and prescribe you the drug that made you so miserable in the first place. I do have faith that there are doctors out there who genuinely want to understand their patients and do what's best for them--not what's easiest or most common. I hope you can find someone like that, but I suppose I can't blame you for not seeking them out at this point.
Old 03-18-12, 10:17 PM
Jr Member

boa0332 is on a distinguished road

I can honestly say that's unique, 5 Doc's just blown off what you said Adderall is doing to you and they still prescribe it to you. The doctors In MI would freak out and Immediately switch to a different med
-Life moving event: Reading a book for the first time from cover to cover. You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! And cried my eyes out.
-When I say "I don't know why I did that." I really mean, I don't know why I did that!
Old 03-18-12, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishcan View Post
This is something I recognize from a period in my life where I was dependent on substances. And it's awful. This might be too personal a question (and my apologies if it is...feel free to ignore if you want), but have you attempted/considered some sort of drug and alcohol treatment program? I realize you're not dependent in the same way as those you might say have made the choice to abuse drugs, but the outcome is essentially the same. I've found drugs don't really give a crap about your intentions while destroying your life.

It sounds like you've seen some truly horrible doctors. I'm shocked that anyone would have decided the most logical course of action was to ignore the problem and prescribe you the drug that made you so miserable in the first place. I do have faith that there are doctors out there who genuinely want to understand their patients and do what's best for them--not what's easiest or most common. I hope you can find someone like that, but I suppose I can't blame you for not seeking them out at this point.
Well, I did seek them out. I did try. I saw five. I still have an appointment. I don't want to keep trying.

I thought that the reason I felt good in the morning and then bad at night was because of the comedown. I thought that was common. In reality... adderall was not controlled like it should have been for me. The warnings aren't good... the directions are terrible. It should be prevented.

I haven't considered going to a substance abuse program.. I don't think they have them for Adderall (bc adderall is just great and wonderful and they don't want to ruin it's name even though it can ruin peoples lives in a hidden, deceptive way... which is often worse than what illegal substances do)
Old 03-18-12, 10:27 PM

Thanked 9,285 Times in 5,106 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I might never be able to get off my meds either.Ive tried stopping them and I get all kinds of brain zaps,sweating its like heroin wds.If I knew this I wouldnt of taken them either but when I dont have them IM a monster,Im angry,cussing at people cant control myself.I dont know if thats due to my body withdrawing or if since Im behaved on drugs I can now see what a lousy person I was w out them.I think alot of drs push drugs for the reason of monetary gain or vacations tired.Not saying the drugs dont help people because they do they really do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (03-18-12)
Old 03-18-12, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa0332 View Post
I can honestly say that's unique, 5 Doc's just blown off what you said Adderall is doing to you and they still prescribe it to you. The doctors In MI would freak out and Immediately switch to a different med
Yea, well that's really what happened to me. How do you know it's unique? I think most dr.'s say "it's just your add coming back" I have heard others have this problem before.
Old 03-18-12, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
I might never be able to get off my meds either.Ive tried stopping them and I get all kinds of brain zaps,sweating its like heroin wds.If I knew this I wouldnt of taken them either but when I dont have them IM a monster,Im angry,cussing at people cant control myself.I dont know if thats due to my body withdrawing or if since Im behaved on drugs I can now see what a lousy person I was w out them.I think alot of drs push drugs for the reason of monetary gain or vacations tired.Not saying the drugs dont help people because they do they really do.
I agree. And the Pharmaceutical companies are aware of what they cause people... and don't give them the answers that they need, because it would ruin their sales. This is what I'm calling Evil. Walmart can stay but something that messes with your mind can get the hell out of dodge.
Old 03-18-12, 10:41 PM

Thanked 9,285 Times in 5,106 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I feel bad for you I really do I hate to see people struggle and get hung up w stuff in life especially when I know what thats like so i can have empathy and compassion or at least try to
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
tired1823 (03-18-12)
Old 03-18-12, 11:13 PM

Quote:

I haven't considered going to a substance abuse program.. I don't think they have them for Adderall (bc adderall is just great and wonderful and they don't want to ruin it's name even though it can ruin peoples lives in a hidden, deceptive way... which is often worse than what illegal substances do)
When I was in rehab back in 2003, there was a kid there in the residential program solely due to adderall. He had ADHD. He'd been prescribed adderall. He'd not used any other drugs. He was thirteen years old. I doubt it's as unusual as you might think.
Old 03-18-12, 11:20 PM
Banned

Overprescribed and overdiagnosed. Apparently this is controversial too. The "big guys" say it's not (yea, they are funded by shire). But, they continue to get lots of people suspicious and raise questions about the validity of that.

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/adhd.../10168/1926348
Of course... this is funded by Shire
Dr Connor is Lockean Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and Chief, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine in Farmington. Dr Connor reports that he receives grant support from Shire Pharmaceuticals, Inc, and is a consultant for Shire and Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc. He receives royalties from the Guilford Press and WW Norton and Co. He also receives support from the NIMH and contracts for the state of Connecticut.
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/adhd.../10168/1926348
What is already known about overdiagnosis and overprescribing in ADHD?

■ ADHD is the most extensively studied pediatric mental health disorder, yet controversy and public debate over the diagnosis and medication treatment of the disorder continue. Questions and concerns continue to be raised by professionals, media commentators, and the public about the possibility that ADHD is overdiagnosed in youths and that stimulants are overprescribed.

What new information does this article provide?

■ This article reviews what is known about the prevalence of ADHD and stimulant prescribing rates in children and adolescents in the United States. While the data do not suggest a general problem with ADHD overdiagnosis and stimulant overprescribing, there continues to be variability in diagnosis and prescribing rates. Reasons for the continued controversy include fears of stimulant abuse and diversion, physician overprescribing, limited managed care carve-out payer resources to support evidence-based standards of ADHD evaluation and treatment, and continuing unease as to the legitimacy of the ADHD diagnosis.

What are the implications for psychiatric practice?

■ Comprehensive physician ADHD evaluation practices are essential for accomplishing evidence-based stimulant prescribing and for reducing unwanted variation in stimulant prescribing rates. This, in turn, should help reassure the public that management is accomplished consistently and with due expertise.

(This is what the pharmaceutical companies need to require when they give their pills to all the dr.'s. This is why the industry is really irresponsible. They are continuing to get away with it.)

THIS is NOT funded by Shire...
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/20...demic-steroid/

Read the fine print, and Adderall sounds no different from any other amphetamine. The size-nine font on Adderall's prescribing information sheet contains scary sounding information few users -- especially those without a prescription -- ever bother to peruse. Besides the usual bombardment of side effects, including dry mouth, loss of appetite, insomnia, headache and weight loss, Adderall can cause cardiovascular palpitations, elevation of blood pressure and sudden death. Psychotic episodes, depression, seizures and stroke could also plague the user. "Drug dependence," or addiction, can follow prolonged use of Adderall.

See? That is unnacceptable. The warning should be better.
Closed Thread