ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-13-09, 11:38 PM
Forum Guru

LittlePrincess has a spectacular aura aboutLittlePrincess has a spectacular aura about
Re: Countries in which Adderall is sold and/or legal?

Oh yeah.... On my most recent (domestic) trip, I also brought along an Imitrex INJECTION, just in case I had a horrific migraine while away.

Anyway, the Imitrex with needle/syringe was packed in my carry-on, along with the Adderall and whatever else. It went right through security and they didn't even blink.
Old 08-23-09, 09:07 AM

iqiocrxmjcu is on a distinguished road

I have been teaching English in Korea... I had no problem bringing my Adderall with me.

Granted, most of my flying experience has been within the US, but I have never been in any way questioned about medications I have with me, including the large quantities of modafinil that I ordered online (which I didn't have a prescription for at that time).

However, I've been unable to get Adderall in Korea. Apparently, it is a "banned narcotic". That includes amphetamine in any form. Generic, Dexadrine, Vivanse...all illegal. Methylphenidate, OTOH, isn't. Does anyone even try to have a rationale or justification for drug laws?

So I've been on Concerta, now on the maximum dose. It's not nearly as effective for me as Adderall, but in combination with Wellbutrin, and sometimes modafinil, I've been ok. Still, I really want Adderall again--my life is so much better with it.

I'm considering teaching in Latin America next year, and I'm hoping it won't be illegal there like it is in Korea. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.
Old 08-29-09, 04:04 AM

Ridgerunner will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Countries in which Adderall is sold and/or legal?

BlueeyeMass1979,
A. In my humble opinion, it would not be a problem to bring Adderall to any foreign country, as long as you brought your pills in the original prescription bottle, with your name on it, the name of the drug, dose tablet/capsule size in milligrams, physicians name, pharmacy phone number, all standard stuff on any rx bottle. Also, a copy of the prescription would be good back up insurance, but not likely "necessary", as would a copy of a letter from your M.D. (again, not likely "necessary"), but it may ease your anxiety! I have never needed to "prove" with latter.
B. The list of countries in the world where Adderall, or any amphetamine based stimulants is incredibly short! Adderall is only sold in 2 countries, USA and Canada. Pure Dextroamphetamine is only sold in USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, Switzerland as "Dexamin", and possibly Japan, not sure of the last country. Belgium sells a legal mixture of amphetamine
sulfate with phenobarbital called "Epipropane". Methamphetamine is only sold in the USA as "Desoxyn" and in the South American country Chile as
"Cidria Escancil" Source: The Martindale Complete Drug Reference: 35th
edition, published by the Pharmaceutical Press (Chicago & London) on authority of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. 35th edt
publishing yr 2007.
Also, to avoid any confusion, there are 30 countries, in addition to the USA, that sell the USA C-II stimulant methyphenidate, (Ritalin) usually, in the immediate release formulation, patented by Ciba/Novartis, which includes Mexico. Also, the stimulant, Clobenzorex Hydrochloride is also
manufactured in Mexico as "Asenlix", Spain as "Finedal" and Singapore as
"Dinintel". There are other stimulants "related to pure amphetamines, but are not 100% from the amphetamine/dexroamphetamine/methamphetamine family, but are still "stimulants" (offered in the USA as C-III or C-IV meds, that are also available worldwide, but are primarly prescribed as "appetite suppressants" or for "narcolepsy" that are milder stimulants & anorectics.
Of course, bringing in three or four five hundred count bottles (1,500 to 2,000 pills of Adderall, would raise the eyebrows of foreign Customs agents, as it would be more difficult to justify for "medicinal purposes" as it would likely be determined more for "intent to distribute purposes"...........LOL (Laugh out Loud)

Ridgerunner

Last edited by Ridgerunner; 08-29-09 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-09, 11:10 AM

canitbeADD is on a distinguished road

Ridgerunner has it right in my opinion. As long as the meds are prescribed to you legally in the US, why would you have a problem? This seems like a very odd question.

The only country I can think of where you might want to think twice about bringing meds that are prescribed to you is the UAE. I have heard some horror stories about people getting questioned in Dubai for even having melatonin.
Old 09-02-09, 04:27 PM

Kitzabu is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know where to buy Adderall made by Sandoz in the Denver area?
Old 09-02-09, 10:13 PM
Contributor

fxfake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePrincess View Post
I know that Adderall is not available (legal) in some countries, but if it's your MEDICATION, which was obtained by LEGAL prescription, I don't believe you would be under criminal charges. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but that just sounds ridiculous.
It may sound ridiculous, but reality is even more ridiculous. Take the related example of the dude arrested in Dubai for having a poppy seed (from a bread roll) on his clothing, or the man arrested for carrying melatonin, which is OTC in Dubai (source).

The reality is that carrying Adderall, even properly prescribed in the US, is likely a crime in many countries. The fact that someone has carried it to Japan/Singapore/etc. w/o problems does not mean that it's legal, and will not spare you from conviction, let alone weeks of pre-trial detention.

Getting caught with Adderall will get you sent to jail in many countries, irrespective of any prescription.
Old 12-04-09, 05:30 AM

So I've determined that you cannot get Adderall in South Korea or Taiwan. I'm now trying to find out about all the Latin American countries. If anyone has any info, please let me know.

I'm sure it is possible to get into legal trouble for carrying it...I've never been questioned about medications and I always travel with a wide assortment of pills of all kinds. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, and it varies a lot from place to place--I wouldn't dare board a plane to say Singapore--I'd probably be sentenced to life in prison and daily canings for breaking god knows what law before stepping off the plane.

I think the safest way would be to follow correct legal procedures--I think you could probably bring it to most places even where it is illegal, if you have a valid prescription, and you apply for permission to bring your personal supply with you to the appropriate government agency. It sounded like that was the procedure when I inquired to Taiwan's drug regulating agency, and I imagine it would be similar elsewhere.

The problem is getting it if you are living/working abroad for long periods of time. Which puts me in a major catch 22. Because of my ADD-related irresponsibility, I have massive debt that I can't repay, and if I work in the States I'll no doubt be sued and have my wages garnished. And at this point I haven't the faintest clue what kind of work I could or would want to do anyway. Teaching English abroad is the best way I've discovered to get my life back on track, to be working, have a steady income...but I need Adderall to really start moving forward in life. So I can get the medication I need to maximally functional...OR I can be gainfully employed. DAMNIT!
Old 12-04-09, 05:39 AM

Here are the answers I received when asking the officials in Taiwan. If anyone else wants to collaborate, feel free--this information should be collected and available somewhere online. I've been adding info to the Adderall wikipedia page as I find it out.

Quote:
As to your inquiry of whether “Adderall XR” is available for prescription in Taiwan, since the substances in Adderall XR is listed as Scheduled 3 controlled drugs, I am afraid it might not be available in Taiwan. And if you wish to bring the medication to Taiwan, an official permit will be required. For questions about possible substitutes for Adderall XR, you may contact Mr. Wen Yuan Hong at National Bureau of Controlled Drugs (NBCD) either via his email at hwyuan@nbcd.gov.tw or by phone at 886-2-2397-5006 ext.2536. You can also fax your questions to him at +886-2-2394-0764. He shall get back to you promptly, and provide you with appropriate advice.
Quote:
Controlled drugs shall be regulated by this Act in addition to other related laws in Taiwan.
Vyvanse is not a controlled drug in Taiwan and it is not available so far in our country. You must contact to the Bureau of Pharmaceutical Affairs Department of Health, Taiwan. Because it is amphetamine-like drug and only available after the pass of verify by the Bureau of Pharmaceutical Affairs. It is absolutely illegal to send by airmail package or smuggle to Taiwan without any official permission.
Modafinil is Schedules Ⅳ controlled drugs in Taiwan . One attend to carry Schedules Ⅰ, Ⅱ or Ⅲ controlled drugs for patient use shall apply for the permission to our bureau under the regulation of controlled drugs. One carry non controlled drugs from the foreign area shall apply to the Bureau of Pharmaceutical Affairs Department of Health.
For questions about the Vyvanse and Modafinil, you must contact Mr. Wang(person in charge) at Bureau of Pharmaceutical Affairs, Department of Health,Taiwan either via his email at paken0654@doh.gov.tw or by phone at 886-2-8590-6666 ext.7013
Quote:
Adderall XR and Dexedrine are both amphetamine-like drugs classified as schedule II controlled drugs in Taiwan. Though it is not available so far in our country. Currently, the drug for clinical treatment drug of ADD/ADHD in Taiwan is Methylphendiate (Ritalin, Hytonin, ConcertaER, Apo-Methylphenidate). Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine), an amphetamine pro-drug, consists of dextroamphetamine bonded to the amino acid lysine. Vyvanse is not controlled drug in Taiwan and will be metabolized to dextroamphetamine through oral pathway. We hope this explanation answers your question about the regulation of Vyvanse. Please surf the following website: http://www.doh.gov.tw/EN2006/index_EN.aspx (Bureau of Pharmaceutical Affairs)

These drugs(Adderall XR and Dexedrine) are schedule II controlled substance in the United States. The dosage of personal use is limited for no more than one month and it also involves the benefit of medical insurance. We would like to announce that the drug shall be only carried by a patient. It will be illegal that sending the drug by airmail package to Taiwan for the reason of long stay here. Currently, the drug for clinical treatment drug of ADD/ADHD in Taiwan is Methylphendiate. If you come to Taiwan, can discuss your condition by physician.

According to our regulations, If the patient to carry Schedules Ⅰ, Ⅱ or Ⅲ controlled drugs into or out our country, you have to apply the permission by filling in the application form, and the permitted amount of the drug allowed to carry is based on physician's prescription, which must have the name of treated disease, the period of treatment, and total amount.

Please notice that according to Taiwan’s law, the government authority won’t allowed any controlled drugs sent via post-air or courier to Taiwan without permit from proper authority.
Old 12-04-09, 12:07 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

The US, Canada and Europe, if you have a prescription you will be fine. If you are planing to stay in England for 3 months or so and plan to bring large quantity, you must apply for a permit (you have to google to find out how).

But I think other countries amphetamines are considered illegal drugs like cocaine even if you have a prescription. (Customs at these countries might not be even familiar with ADHD).

Mostly depends on your luck at customs, they might let you pass and they might confiscate it (I think that the worse scenario if its labeled as a prescription).

If customs notice the word amphetamine on the prescription bottle, then they might act on it. But "Adderall" or "Dexedrine"
my guess is they dont know what it is. cause these drugs are only available at the US, Canada, Europe (dex only), and Australia.

some countries allow methylphenidate but not amphetamine.
International availability and legal status
  • South Korea: Adderall, and all other amphetamine-based medications (such as Vyvanse and Dexedrine), are considered "banned narcotics" in South Korea. They cannot be obtained at a South Korean pharmacy, and are illegal to import. Concerta and other methylphenidate-based medications, however, are available.[citation needed]
  • Taiwan: Adderall and Dexedrine are classified as schedule II controlled drugs, and are not available, in Taiwan. Methylphenidate-based medications are available. Vyvanse is not currently classified, and is not available in Taiwan. wiki
Old 12-04-09, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_kelly View Post
International availability and legal status
  • South Korea: Adderall, and all other amphetamine-based medications (such as Vyvanse and Dexedrine), are considered "banned narcotics" in South Korea. They cannot be obtained at a South Korean pharmacy, and are illegal to import. Concerta and other methylphenidate-based medications, however, are available.[citation needed]
  • Taiwan: Adderall and Dexedrine are classified as schedule II controlled drugs, and are not available, in Taiwan. Methylphenidate-based medications are available. Vyvanse is not currently classified, and is not available in Taiwan. wiki
Lol, yeah, that was me--I wrote that section. It's sounding like that's the situation in much of the world outside of North America, Australia and Europe--methylphenidate is legal, while amphetamine isn't. Doesn't make any sense to me, and it sucks for those of us for whom methylphenidate doesn't really work, and therefore are not able to get adequate medical treatment in these lame-*** countries! I'll add to it as I get more information. I've been emailing the embassies for all the Latin American countries. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-04-09, 05:19 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

yeah, I kinda was thinking that because this thread asks specifically about Taiwan and south Korea. What are the odds, right?
Old 01-15-10, 01:17 AM
Forum Guru

CrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud ofCrazyLazyGal has much to be proud of

I can say with certainty that if you have a prescription for Adderall, you can bring it along with you on a trip to Taiwan unless they have reason to believe you'll sell it (e.g., a criminal record of drug dealing). Just keep it in the prescription bottle, maybe a doctor's note to be on the extra safe side. If you happen to lose that bottle or prescription, you won't be able to get it there, but you're fine bringing it in. They won't throw you in jail, trust me. They've never done that to anyone in those circumstances.

Singapore is a bit more complex. They're WAY more of a police state than Taiwan where the authorities are pretty lax all around. (You can buy beer in vending machines and codeine over the counter!) However, in this regard, Singapore is still pretty reasonable. You just need advance planning. Here is a link explaining it and a form to fill out. Note that the form also needs to be accompanied by a letter from your doctor, among other documents (travel itinerary, passport). And you should throw every medication you're taking on that form because even Ambien is on the list of controlled substances. You need to get it to them well in advance in order to get the approval document, so you should start the process (e.g., request a note from your doctor or draft one for them to sign) as soon as you book the tickets. But as long as you follow the procedure and rules--and make sure you follow them exactly as Singapore is a country of rules and procedures--it's highly unlikely that they'll deny it.

The UAE is scary because even if you have a prescription, you can't bring it in, and there's no form to get permission like Singapore has. Because of my ADHD and other psychiatric conditions, I cannot travel to the UAE or even through the UAE. No biggie for me, as I wouldn't want to support a country that has those draconian policies.
Old 01-24-10, 08:21 AM

Ridgerunner will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Countries in which Adderall is sold and/or legal?

I flew from the USA on Lufthansa to Munich Germany for a two week stay.
I carried in a large plastic zip-lock bag, with my carry-on luggage, many
bottles of controlled USA medications in their original pharmacy bottles,
with my name on each bottle, many C-II's: a bottle of Dexedrine Spansules C-II, a bottle of Adderall tablets C-II, a bottle of generic
Percocet (oxycodone 5 mg./325 mg.APAP) another C-II, a bottle of
Ambien C-IV, a bottle of Valium C-IV, a bottle of Atarax (hydroxyzone rx)
a bottle of Allegra 180 mg. (antihistimine rx), a bottle of Prednisone rx, & a bottle of Propecia (male pattern hairloss med rx) I also carried in my front slacks during this April thru May 2008 trip...........my front
pocket, a small CVS plastic "pill case" with extra Adderall, Valium, Percocet, Atarax, Prednisone) I also had a letter from my Psychiatrist, with my DSM-IV and my European ICD-9/ICD-10 diagnosis codes and
names of the diagnosis and specifically the names of the C-II meds, I also carried in my "hidden belt with extra cash and copies of all of my C-II's and C-IV meds........Guess what? No-body cared!! All of that trouble and
fretting for nothing (going to Germany, and Austria, and returning to the
USA. I was almost disappointed, TSA didn't give me a hassle. ha! I also
carried enough medication to last for a month, not 2 weeks, thus all of
the bottles for nearly full, but "not overfilled....I wanted to make damn
sure if the TSA or DEA fxxked with me, that every pill was accounted for,
including the ones in my front pocket!!! Regarding obtaining "controlled medications overseas, or outside of the USA" while abroad, and returning
with them from a foreign country, I don't have a clue about that. I do
know that "amphetamines, stimulants, etc. in the grand scheme of things are offered in very few countries outside the USA...exceptions, are U.K
Switzerland, and Belgium offer not "Adderall" but they do offer stimulants
that have amphetamine or dextroamphetamine in the formula. The names
of the "stimulants" outside the USA are "Epipropone" (amfetaminil) in
Belgium, in Mexico "Asenlix" "Itravil" ""Obeclox" "Redicres" (Clobenzorex
Hydrocloride)in Canada "Dexedrine" "Adderall" (original formula), United
Kingdom (Dexedrine) CORRECTION: Switzerland has taken both Dexamfetamine Sulfate "Dexamin" and Methaqualone (Toquilone) off of the market (2006/2007) Diethylpropion HCI in Australia "Tenuate" in Brazil
"Dualid S" "Inbex S" "Hipofagin S" in Canada "Tenuate" in Chile "Sacin" in
Denmark "Regenon" in Germany "Regenon" in Hong Kong "Atracil" "Prothin",
in Mexico "Ifa Norex" "Neobes" in New Zealand "Tenuate Dospan" in South
Africa "Tenuate Dospan" in Switzerland "Regenon" in Thailand "Atracil" &
"Dietil" in Argentina "Tratobes" in India "Apisate" : Mazindol (too many to
list...9 countries...Argentina, Brazil, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, Singapore.
Modiafinil ...again 26 countries...a C-IV in the USA...Pemoline in Chile as
"Cylert" in Israel "Cylert" in U.K. "Prowess": Pentermine...too many to list
14 countries...Phendimetrazine Tartrate "Obesan-X" "Obesan-LA" in South
Africa (a CIII in the USA a/k/a "Bontril" Also of the stimulants above, all
are controlled substances in the USA, mostly C-IV's except "Clobenzorex" which is not available in the USA, but might be a C-II, be careful, bringing
that med back into the USA...definetly have a copy of that prescription, or use them up outside the USA and "enjoy" Since this is a forum for
patients with ADHD primarily.....I will skip the other "controlled substances that are not indicated for A.D.D. (there are numerous C-II, C-III, and C-IV meds around the world, that are narcotic analgesics, and benzodiazepines, that are too numerous to list, a few that are not sold in the USA. Example "Rophynol" is sold in 15 to 20 other countries, but not
good to try to bring back into the USA! if needed abroad, us them all up and enjoy! finally, with Methylphenidate, too many countries to list......
thirty five (35 countries) if you bring any back, make sure you have your
Ritalin/methyphenidate bottle with your presciption either from foreign M.D. or from your USA M.D. to cover yourself as it is a C-II. Source"
Martindale Complete Drug Reference: 36th edition, publisher Pharmaceutical Press, London, England 2009 edition listing ethical pharmaceuticals in forty (40) countries. Note: there are some 3rd world countires, that Martindale does not list, such as countries in Central
America, parts of Eastern Europe, parts of Japan, Tiawan, parts of South
America, like Colombia, other hostile nations, like the Middle East, and all of Africa, except South Africa. GHB (sodium oxbate) a hypnotic is legal
in Austria, and San Remo, but it is a C-III in the USA, and very tightly controlled for patients who have Narcolepsy, and Sleep Apnea, be most
cautious bringing back "Alcover" (GHB) very risky, plus it is a liquid. (not abvisable, even with a foreign prescription, unless you have a letter from your USA M.D. authorizing you to take USA GHB "Xyrem".
Old 02-24-11, 02:14 AM

sdvg is on a distinguished road

now, if she flew to Russia per se with a bottle of Adderall 10 mg + PO TID. Schedule II U cannot get more than 1 month, C - Vs not sure, but benzos:Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax...If u live in New York u're screwed too. Benzos are like CII hee.No refills. But percocet for example will become illegal on Moscow soil. Now, u need a letter from ur MD, Country MD and preferably APA and whatever u're taking the meds from, the letters from docs that it is medically necessary. Also to put a note these drugs cause dizziness, in RF(Russian Federation) all u need is to be "under the influence" to get arrested.
Old 02-24-11, 02:21 AM

sdvg is on a distinguished road

Did u know that if u take Benadryl to Russia, it is so much more dangerous(Benadryl is under controll in RU) I brought Vicodin-no questions asked.