ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 02-15-12, 03:04 PM

Dony164 is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse capsule not full? What?

yesterday, i noticed just before i took a 50 mg pill of vyvance, there was a jumbling around going on inside. I opened it up, and saw there was only 1/4th of the amount of medicine in there. and i noticed the day before that, my medication behaved very much differently, and by 8th period, i was my old ADD self. Whereas before i recall the pills being full, and medicine lasting at least halfway through my after school activities. So today, i took one of my brothers pills (30 mg, he doesn't take it on the weekend so there's some extra!) and i used that to compensate for the loss of medication by taking it around 11 pm (About 4hours after the first dosage.) However, my mother who went to the pharmacist about this told me that all the 50 mg,s are like that. Now, my brothers 30 mg,s are full. and considering the fact i took my brothers 30, and i feel like i normally do on the medicine, i think she may be trying to wean me off the medication. (it does make me depressed and i think she is concerned. Can some one confirm or deny that the medicine capsules are only partially full or always full no matter what the dosage?
Old 02-15-12, 03:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

quark is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse capsule not full? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dony164 View Post
yesterday, i noticed just before i took a 50 mg pill of vyvance, there was a jumbling around going on inside. I opened it up, and saw there was only 1/4th of the amount of medicine in there. and i noticed the day before that, my medication behaved very much differently, and by 8th period, i was my old ADD self. Whereas before i recall the pills being full, and medicine lasting at least halfway through my after school activities. So today, i took one of my brothers pills (30 mg, he doesn't take it on the weekend so there's some extra!) and i used that to compensate for the loss of medication by taking it around 11 pm (About 4hours after the first dosage.) However, my mother who went to the pharmacist about this told me that all the 50 mg,s are like that. Now, my brothers 30 mg,s are full. and considering the fact i took my brothers 30, and i feel like i normally do on the medicine, i think she may be trying to wean me off the medication. (it does make me depressed and i think she is concerned. Can some one confirm or deny that the medicine capsules are only partially full or always full no matter what the dosage?
You think your mother is tampering with your meds?! Time to keep them in a locked box. Speaking of keeping them...where do you store the bottle? Vyvanse is highly water soluble, and I imagine high humidity (like a bathroom cabinet) may not do the contents any favors. My 50 mg capsule definitely don't jumble, and they - and all the family meds - are kept away from the bathrooms just to avoid the extreme humidity.
The Following User Says Thank You to quark For This Useful Post:
Dony164 (02-15-12)
Old 02-15-12, 03:23 PM

Well she said she didn't and all the powder inside is almost sort of compacted together, i also just now found another post on the internet about this same situation and apparently i need to contact my docter ASAP etc. But it'd be nice to know if this is a common thing, thanks for the tip btw
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-12, 10:33 AM
Jr Member

dediobst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dony164 View Post
Well she said she didn't and all the powder inside is almost sort of compacted together, i also just now found another post on the internet about this same situation and apparently i need to contact my docter ASAP etc. But it'd be nice to know if this is a common thing, thanks for the tip btw
Why would you contact your doctor and not the pharmacy (not that it's their fault either?)?

I was initially prescribed 40mg and then was bumped up to 60mg. Similarly, I noticed that the 40mg capsules had more medicine inside. Even in my 50mg pills from the same pharmacy, some will be full completely to the part where you can separate them, while others are only 1/2-3/4 full. I would hope, especially since it's an expensive name-brand drug and not a generic, that Shire has their manufacturing techniques down.
Old 02-20-12, 03:51 PM

Also contacted the pharmacy, they said that the capsules are pre-assembled and sent to them.
Old 02-20-12, 03:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

John836 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also contacted the pharmacy, they said that the capsules are pre-assembled and sent to them.
I'm not sure I understand this post. The pills don't have to be full. Not all pills are filled to the top with medicine.

Just a shot in the dark but......

Maybe the capsules are cheaper when Shire buys or manufactures the size that's provided. Maybe the machine that puts together the compacted powder was designed for that size capsule so they had to put less medicine in that size capsule instead of getting capsules that would have been filled to the top with medicine. I really have no idea.

There is no conspiracy theory for Shire shortchanging customers with less medication. For the people who think that the medication isn't working the same due to the pill not being filled completely - it's all in your head. Literally.
Old 03-01-12, 07:29 PM

Megs3313 is on a distinguished road

Wow! I am so glad I found this! While there might not be a "conspiracy theory" about ripping off customers, it's not in your head and I'll give you the PROOF that I found. My story is very similar to yours.. Filled script of 60 mg on Friday, took one everyday that weekend, barely affected me. Mon I took an extra because they weren't doing anything. Prior to filling my script I had not had them for a week because I couldn't pay my copay, so I did not have a steady state in my blood and I didn't have a tolerance. Tues my mom randomly checked the pills (I used to have a big problem with adderall, which is why I switched to vyvanse, she either dispenses them or does random checks) she held them up to the light and saw that 3/4 of them were half full, while the other ones were full to the top! This is where my mission began and what I discovered..

She thought I was abusing them or selling them, and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what happened, I was ******. I had an appointment with my psychatrist the next day, so I asked him about it and what I could do, he said those controlled substances are so regulated by the DEA that it's a slim to non chance of that happening, he thought I was fishing for more pills. He had been wanting to lower my dosage so maybe he changed my script.. I had been reading about a lot of doctor's recently prescribing placebos mixed with the real stuff without patient consent, it was out there but a last option theory. So I went to the pharmacy I filled them at to let them know, to ask what I could do, to look at the script, and if all else fails atleast they knew someone there could have tampered with them. The pharmachist was confused, he came up with every theory mentioned above.. I messed with them, compacted powder (I have noticed lately the powder is mostly compacted and hard.. but some still powdery? But that's a whole nother subject) and many more, but he gave me the lot # and the phone number to contact shire to maybe get a ******* coupon for next time, and have them check the lot # to see if there was an error.... and after hours of googling I found ONE SITE (morrisdickson.com in the recalls) that had the proof that this has happened before and vyvanse has been recalled for this!

I spent hours and hours of googling, it was that or possibly going back to rehab for my meds because no one believed me! And here is what I found copy and pasted from the website (putting it incase the link doesn't come out)

Aug 19 2011 Shire recalled: Vyvanse, 40mg, 100's NDC: 59417-0104-10
Aug 19 2011 Shire recalled: Vyvanse, 60mg, 100's NDC: 59417-0106-10

Reason for both: May contain incorrect dosage strength capsules in bottle along with correct dosage strength

I'm going to be calling Shire tomorrow, so I'll post what they say, but you should contact your pharmacy and the company right away, I don't know what can be done but it's worth a shot! You can google the recall information by searching using the keywords Shire Vyvanse recall.. it's on the 2nd page MORRISDICKSON....

http://www.morrisdickson.com/User/Do...ll/RECALLS.pdf

Hope that very lengthy explanation helped lol post what you find out too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megs3313 For This Useful Post:
Content ID (03-01-12), Dony164 (04-02-12)
Old 03-02-12, 12:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
I had been reading about a lot of doctor's recently prescribing placebos mixed with the real stuff without patient consent
Wow. You cracked the conspiracy theory.

Is this post for real? Do you really believe that doctors are prescribing placebos mixed with a stimulant?

If you believe that, answer these questions:

1. How does your insurance company get billed for a 30mg Adderall XR pill filled with Adderall compared to a 30mg Adderall XR pill filled with 10mg of Adderall and 20mg of cane sugar?

2. So you think that all of the pharmacies have these placebos? If not, when your doctor prescribes Adderall or Vyvanse, how the hell does he know where you are going to get the prescription filled?

3. Does the FDA know about this or is it just something the doctors and pharmacies cooked up by themselves?

Quote:
I spent hours and hours of googling, it was that or possibly going back to rehab for my meds because no one believed me!
Really? You were going back to rehab because pills you received from the pharmacy weren't 100% full? Was that a legitimate thought in your head? Did your mom ever think to take the prescription herself to the pharmacy to fill it and she could easily verify that the pills weren't 100% filled?
Quote:
I'm going to be calling Shire tomorrow, so I'll post what they say, but you should contact your pharmacy and the company right away, I don't know what can be done but it's worth a shot!
I'm not calling anyone. My Vyvanse works just fine the way it is. By the way, what do you think the pharmacy is going to do? They dispense SEALED bottles of medicine from Shire......unless you think that the pharmacy is in on the scam too.

I feel obligated to tell you about one of the side effects of Vyvanse, which is copied verbatim from the safety information sheet, states:
Quote:
new psychotic symptoms (such as hearing voices, believing things that are not true, are suspicious) or new manic symptoms
I really think you should discontinue Vyvanse. You are clearly being affected by one of the known side effects.
Old 03-03-12, 06:15 PM

Mikahl will become famous soon enough

Whoa... @Dony - I'm glad you found the information you were looking for. Now think about that statement. And you need to stay out of your brothers medication. Taking it that way is abuse and theft, buddy. @John - Tact, bro. True or not.
Old 03-04-12, 09:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
@John - Tact, bro. True or not.
Sometimes the truth hurts, bro.
Old 04-02-12, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John836 View Post
Wow. You cracked the conspiracy theory.

Is this post for real? Do you really believe that doctors are prescribing placebos mixed with a stimulant?

If you believe that, answer these questions:

1. How does your insurance company get billed for a 30mg Adderall XR pill filled with Adderall compared to a 30mg Adderall XR pill filled with 10mg of Adderall and 20mg of cane sugar?

2. So you think that all of the pharmacies have these placebos? If not, when your doctor prescribes Adderall or Vyvanse, how the hell does he know where you are going to get the prescription filled?

3. Does the FDA know about this or is it just something the doctors and pharmacies cooked up by themselves?

Really? You were going back to rehab because pills you received from the pharmacy weren't 100% full? Was that a legitimate thought in your head? Did your mom ever think to take the prescription herself to the pharmacy to fill it and she could easily verify that the pills weren't 100% filled?
I'm not calling anyone. My Vyvanse works just fine the way it is. By the way, what do you think the pharmacy is going to do? They dispense SEALED bottles of medicine from Shire......unless you think that the pharmacy is in on the scam too.

I feel obligated to tell you about one of the side effects of Vyvanse, which is copied verbatim from the safety information sheet, states:
I really think you should discontinue Vyvanse. You are clearly being affected by one of the known side effects.
Ah well, med's are definatly less effective being compressed in. All though this statement wasn't directed at me, i find just crushing up the inside back into a powder helps a lot so there is at least a reason for people to be complaining about this.
Old 04-13-12, 06:03 PM

Sunshineboy is on a distinguished road

Vyvanse has been so inconsistent for me lately! It's really frustrating. I wish the drug company would tell us exactly, in clear black and white, what foods to eat or not to eat around the time we take Vyvanse, as I seriously suspect food plays a roll in how it effects people. Out of curiosity today I opened a couple capsules to see if possibly they weren't all equal. I've never been that suspicious of any medicine before, but I knew something has to be going on. One day it works great and I'm focused and fine, next day no benefit what so ever. I will say, some capsules do seem to contain more than others, which really surprised me. However, I don't know if that just has to do w/ settling, like they say about potato chips in 1/2 empty bags. I just did "the light test" (held pill up to light) I was shocked to see the first one was way down to only 1/2 full! So I opened it, and it actually was way more full than the light test made it seemed. Trick of light? Carefully open them to check amount if you're going to exam how full they are, I don't believe the light test is valid.
Old 06-10-14, 09:38 PM

Imonlysleeping is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for an explanation and thought I'd post here. I was prescribed 30mg per day of Vyvance and received it thru their free for three months program. The first two bottles of 30 (60 caps total) from the pharmacy were very strong - I had to open the capsules and take a partial dose. The third refill of 30 capsules was less effective, and like others, I notice the capsules were not filled as tightly as the first 60 (two months) I had received. I was regularly opening them and taking less, so that's why I noticed.

Now here's the thing - having many of the original capsules lying around I noticed the imprints on the less effective Vyvance were reversed! The "S489" was on the white side of the capsule of the less full, less effective ones, and the "30 mg" imprint was on the orange half. The first two months (60 capsules) had the "S489" on the orange half, the "30 mg" on the white half. And the original 60 capsules were impossible to twist apart. I had to cut them in half with a razor. That's why I have a bunch lying around - I couldn't reuse them. The newer, reversed imprinted Vyvance capsules twisted apart like any other and like I mentioned, were not packed as tightly.

Did the CVS pharmacy sell me counterfeits, or semi-counterfeits that contained part of the active ingredient? A simple Google search turns up photos of Vyvance with imprints on imprints on either side, but no explanation. I'd appreciate if anyone has noticed this.
Old 07-09-14, 01:29 AM

mkkej@ is on a distinguished road

not only have i noticed inconsistent amounts in the capsule but also the orientation of the capsule print on each half is inconsistent, the most common orientation i see is the right half is slightly lower than the left, (60mg)