ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-12, 04:08 PM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute
Food/natural sources that replace meds ?

I've been going without meds since two weeks. Patience non existing. Sorry.

Now I know there are techniques to improve certain of my issues without artificial help, how do you people manage :

- concentration / focus

- energy (physical)

- memory

(- sleep -although I do have drops I could consider taking- )

If possible, anything but pills. I have a list of 25 foods for anything. So there must exist stuff for these things. I might actually post that list here.- http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/25-amazing-food-cures
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilthranon For This Useful Post:
Macscotty (02-15-12)
Old 02-15-12, 04:12 PM

Macscotty is on a distinguished road
Re: Food/natural sources that replace meds ?

I'm interested in the list of foods that you have already acquired.

I know one thing I do in the mornings to try and give myself more energy is to stretch. I've read stretching actually wakes you up more by releasing a buildup of harmless toxins that build up while one sleeps. I'm also partial to yoga.
Gilthranon (02-16-12)
Old 02-15-12, 05:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

There are no substitutes for medication. A proper diet (low-carb/sugar) and exercise can help (and perhaps DHA/EPA supplementation, it's still early days).

Anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell you something.
Dizfriz (02-15-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-12, 05:12 PM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know the only things that I know that are shown to be of benefit for ADHD beside medication and behavior management is (as mentioned) exercise which puts more dopamine in the system for at least a short time and is thus an ADHD specific tool.

Others, not as clear in their effectiveness, include is fish oil (omega 3). While not yet validated for treatment of ADHD has some promising research and a number on the forum report it helping. Others however report no benefit. Some have reported some help from meditation but there has not been a lot of research on this.

The problem with most of the other alternative treatments is that while they may work for a few, for most are not effective. As long as they cannot do harm, I see no reason not to try them. Do keep in mind that when you take alternative supplements and such, you are medicating with all the inherent dangers and problems.

Dizfriz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Driver (02-15-12), Gilthranon (02-16-12), pechemignonne (02-15-12)
Old 02-15-12, 05:21 PM
Jr Member

alphadeltadelta is on a distinguished road

Macrobiotics can be instrumental in ADHD treatment. Google more info, the Ohswawa Foundation/George Ohsawa for insight, and a great book to start with is "The Macrobiotic Path to Total Health" by Michio Kushi. Great text/resource. Good luck!
Old 02-15-12, 05:23 PM

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadeltadelta View Post
Macrobiotics can be instrumental in ADHD treatment. Google more info, the Ohswawa Foundation/George Ohsawa for insight, and a great book to start with is "The Macrobiotic Path to Total Health" by Michio Kushi. Great text/resource. Good luck!
Case in point.