ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 02-18-12, 09:01 AM

gismo73 is on a distinguished road
Question How much Adderall for 8yo?

Hello!
My daughter, 8 years old, is diagnosed with ADD (hypoactive).
We tried Methylphenidate (Ritalin and Equasym) but like my son, she doesnīt respond to it.

Both take DL-Amphetaminsulfate now and for my son it works best!
But i donīt find the proper dosage for my daughter!

It seems to work a little...but not with this stunning effect it has to my son. So i think, we havenīt the right dose yet.

Unfortunately our doctor has not really a clue how many mg my daughter should take! We are the only ones with Amphetamine, all others are on Methylphenidate!

I live in Germany and we have nothing like Adderall here, so he has no experiences with amphetamines...
What we get is a mixture from the pharmacy, the ingredients are like adderall, dextro and levo amphetamines.

I like to know, how much Adderall an 8 year old girl could take a day? She is 56 pounds.
I know, itīs not really measured by weight, but it gives a hint, i think...At the moment she gets 16 mg a day and i really donīt know if that is a low or a high dose...
What do your kids take?

I hope i get some answers here and please: sorry for my mistakes, i learned english in school and thatīs been a looooong time ago .

Greetings, gismo73
Old 02-18-12, 09:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,895 Times in 7,639 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much Adderall for 8yo?

Amphetamine is not dosed by weight, generally starting low is the best. What dose is she on now
?

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-18-12, 10:48 AM

gismo73 is on a distinguished road

hello,
thanks for your answer. I know that Amphetamine is not dosed by weight. I just want to figure out, if our dosage is high or low compared to other children of my daughters age/weight.
She is on 10 mg in the morning, second dose is 6 mg.
Gismo73
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-12, 10:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,651 Times in 7,855 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My granddaughter is 14 and she's already 5'8", weighs 185 pounds. She
takes a very small dose of Adderall, just 5 mg extended release, along with
a non-stimulant Strattera. The combination has been working very well for
her for at least a year.

Before this she was taking Vyvanse, which is similar to the combination your
kids are taking, and for her the side effects were just too horrible. So it
could be that your daughter just needs D-Amphetamin-salts by itself, or
maybe a slightly different combination of meds than is working for your son.
It can be so difficult to figure out the best med or combination and the best
dose. I wish you both the best in figuring out what will help her the most.
gismo73 (02-18-12), Massari (02-18-12)
Old 02-26-12, 10:24 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

zette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud ofzette93 has much to be proud of

My six year old weighs 48 pounds and is currently on 15 mg Aderall XR (which lasts about 8-9 hours for him) and 2 mg intuniv, with a 5mg aderall boost in the late afternoon. His developmental ped started him at 10mg, then added the intuniv, then increased the intuniv, then added the afternoon aderall, then increased the morning aderall to 15mg. From the first she predicted he would likely need 20mg, but she is taking things slow and steady and really listening to our reports at each appt. We've seen significant improvement at each step.

DS is a complicated case, though, with both ADHD and ASpergers, and very difficult at school. We started with 3-5 major incidents per day, and are now down to 2-3 per week. He's actually starting to be able to focus and do work for large portions of the day!

His doctor referred to 10mg as being a "low dose". Aderall exits the body very quickly, your daughter doesn't have 16mg in her body at any time, rather 10mg in the morning and 6mg in the afternoon.

Last edited by zette93; 02-26-12 at 10:37 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to zette93 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (02-26-12)