ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-12, 08:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

thegreenjudy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreenjudy has a spectacular aura about
Taking Charge of Adult ADHD by Russell A. Barkley???

Hiya, just ordered this book on Amazon and was wondering if anyone read it and benefited from it? Seems like he is pro-meds (not even indicating it could work without) - but he seems to be really good at his job watching his talks on Youtube. Any idea???
The Following User Says Thank You to thegreenjudy For This Useful Post:
fracturedstory (02-20-12)
Old 02-20-12, 09:01 AM

silver1347 will become famous soon enough
Re: Taking Charge of Adult ADHD by Russell A. Barkley???

I've got it and I think it's good. There is information about non-med things you can do too - ways of thinking and talking to yourself and setting things up around you. Definitely worth having IMO, I just wish I had it for kindle so I could bookmark bits and refer back to it more often when I haven't got the actual book with me.
Old 02-20-12, 09:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

thegreenjudy has a spectacular aura aboutthegreenjudy has a spectacular aura about

Yes, that was my problem - I wanted to download it but had to order the hardcopy as there is no kindle version. But I prefer books anyway - I just wish it was smaller :-)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-12, 09:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,765 Times in 6,510 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of getting that too. Silver, does it have lots of practical advice about how to help yourself at the time of performance as I think he calls it?
Old 02-20-12, 09:55 AM

Thanked 20,053 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I got it, it's great!! except for his career advice which seems dubious.
Old 02-20-12, 10:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
except for his career advice which seems dubious.

Why is that?
Old 02-20-12, 10:41 AM

Thanked 7,532 Times in 3,011 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked out that very book and ....lo and behold...there is a Kindle book ....

http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-...9752367&sr=8-4

now don;t say I neber dun nuffin for ya !

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
Electra2 (09-01-12), Hadria (02-20-12), Possum (02-20-12)
Old 02-20-12, 10:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

strange..it didn't pop up on my device...oh I see, it's because I'm using Amazon.co.uk :-)
Old 02-20-12, 10:45 AM

Thanked 16,668 Times in 7,865 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenjudy View Post
Hiya, just ordered this book on Amazon and was wondering if anyone read it and benefited from it? Seems like he is pro-meds (not even indicating it could work without) - but he seems to be really good at his job watching his talks on Youtube. Any idea???
I think he may be pro-meds because research over many years has shown meds
to be effective, meds plus therapy has been shown even more effective. Nothing
else has the bulk of research behind it to show effectiveness. There is some
research on Omega 3 fish oil supplements, but so far they seem to be effective
for a smaller percentage of ADHDers. (Luckily I'm one of them.)
Dizfriz (02-20-12), pechemignonne (02-21-12)
Old 02-20-12, 11:49 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,758 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
I just checked out that very book and ....lo and behold...there is a Kindle book ....

http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-...9752367&sr=8-4

now don;t say I neber dun nuffin for ya !
Cool! If I ever get some money I'll download it onto my kindle. I already have the hard copy version, and its excellent!
Old 02-20-12, 12:29 PM

Thanked 7,532 Times in 3,011 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta thank the 6 people who bought my watch movement cuff links over on the swamp ( aka ebay) cause that meant I had the funds to buy that book for myself ....

oh and new in paperback for total of slightly less than $15...including shipping ....

pretty good deal I think .....

don;t really like hardbacks that much ......so was glad to get it in pb.....

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
Old 02-20-12, 03:17 PM

zaremskya has a spectacular aura aboutzaremskya has a spectacular aura about

I just read through the book and highly recommend it. I think some people see Dr. Barkley as kind of a stern, fatalist pro-med kind of guy but if you read his book, you'll be surprised by how similar his attitude is to Dr. Hallowells. He emphasizes playing to your strengths and finding the right job just as much as Hallowell does. I guess his "voice" just seems a little more stern, but he is a compassionate guy and really is on our side.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zaremskya For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (02-20-12), Electra2 (09-01-12), fracturedstory (02-20-12), MissesS (02-20-12), phantasm (09-01-12)
Old 02-20-12, 04:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

MissesS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaremskya View Post
I just read through the book and highly recommend it. I think some people see Dr. Barkley as kind of a stern, fatalist pro-med kind of guy but if you read his book, you'll be surprised by how similar his attitude is to Dr. Hallowells. He emphasizes playing to your strengths and finding the right job just as much as Hallowell does. I guess his "voice" just seems a little more stern, but he is a compassionate guy and really is on our side.
I will definitely get this. I could relate to
So much of dr hallowell's writing. I have one of his books Delivered from distraction (even cried when reading some parts!)
Old 02-20-12, 05:58 PM

Thanked 10,404 Times in 3,289 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaremskya View Post
The thing about Barkley people need to recognized is that in person, he is a kind gentle, soft spoken man who cares very much about helping people deal with and treat ADHD.

In front of an audience, he is a scientist to the bone and speaks that way. When speaking to an audience of teachers and parents, he does not talk down and presents to them like he would a group of professionals and that is factual, terse and to the point. The main difference when he presents with professionals is the information comes much faster and more succinct.

Basically he treats his audiences with respect of being intelligent interested people who do not want nor need to be coddled.

Some like this, some do not. I do. When I listen to Barkley, I am after information not feel good soothing. That is what he delivers.

For what it is worth,

Dizfriz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ConcertaParent (09-01-12), pechemignonne (02-21-12), phantasm (09-01-12)
Old 02-21-12, 04:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

andy78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
There is some
research on Omega 3 fish oil supplements, but so far they seem to be effective
for a smaller percentage of ADHDers. (Luckily I'm one of them.)
Maybe I would like to hear more from you regarding the Omega 3 thing.