ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-12, 04:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ravenstar is a jewel in the roughRavenstar is a jewel in the roughRavenstar is a jewel in the rough
70 percent of Meth Addicts...

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place....

I was watching "Intervention Canada" last night.. and in the show they have these written blurbs that give 'extra information'

In one it blurb said that 70% of Crystal Meth Addicts have ADD/ADHD

Seriously? That's pretty high. How do they know that?

Many years ago I went through a 'drug phase' (it was the eighties - I was young and stupid) and tried many different things, one thing I found was that uppers (any kind)... didn't really do much for me - if anything I didn't like them and didn't seem to get the same effect as those around me. (of course I wasn't trying to feel normal)

I just wonder where they get this kind of info. I know there is a correlation to addictions and ADD but this just seemed kind of...umm... exaggerated, to me.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. ~Douglas Adams
Old 02-23-12, 04:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,142 Times in 2,020 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 70 percent of Meth Addicts...

I suppose the real question is "Why would somebody take uppers regularly if they didn't subconsciously feel that they needed them?"
Piper30 (02-24-12)
Old 02-23-12, 05:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

desulove is an unknown quantity at this point

I have real bad ADHD and street uppers give me a panic effect. I think ADHD people who use cannabis would be higher.

Out of 5 people I know with ADHD 4 of them use cannabis everyday.
karbouris (02-24-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-12, 05:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ravenstar is a jewel in the roughRavenstar is a jewel in the roughRavenstar is a jewel in the rough

That's an interesting take on it

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. ~Douglas Adams
Old 02-23-12, 05:16 PM

Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,051 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

It's a well known if not well researched statistic that amphetamine/methamphetamine use is correlated with ADHD.....

the fact that ADDers tend not to react in the same way as NT's is also known.

If someone begins to experiment wit drugs.... as many ADDers do... and finds one that makes them feel relaxed/connected and helps them concentrate and function in NTworld..... then they're likely to continue using it... and possibly slide into addiction.

kilted
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (02-23-12), markadd (03-11-12), salleh (02-23-12), TexasBelle (03-04-12)
Old 02-23-12, 05:24 PM

Thanked 16,674 Times in 7,867 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I did a google search for "crystal meth users and adhd" and found this.

http://www.adultaddstrengths.com/200...nical-studies/

Scroll down the page to find the link for the study on the connection
between crystal meth use and adhd. It's not a double-blind study, just a
random testing of people who came to a rehab for drug use. The druggies
had never been tested or diagnosed with adhd, but tests done at rehab
seemed to indicate a strong possibility they had adult adhd.
Fraser_0762 (02-23-12)
Old 02-23-12, 06:24 PM

Thanked 10,040 Times in 5,450 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think I could handle meth im high strung as **** w out the drugs
Old 02-24-12, 01:53 AM
Contributor

eeilyk has a spectacular aura abouteeilyk has a spectacular aura about

I would definitely say that years of speed/iceI(meth) use has made my ADHD amplified a lot. I was never as fidgety as i am now, however i was always crazy and loud :P
The dex puts me back in place :P
The Following User Says Thank You to eeilyk For This Useful Post:
TexasBelle (03-04-12)
Old 02-24-12, 02:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

AC360CNN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
I suppose the real question is "Why would somebody take uppers regularly if they didn't subconsciously feel that they needed them?"
I'm honestly not sure if I have ADHD. My symptoms are so mild that a lot of people who haven't been diagnosed seem to have ADHD worse than I do.

I definitely don't need Adderall. I made it through college and got a job without it. I love the stuff though. I have been on it two months and it makes me productive, happy, and I'm losing weight. I'm loving it. I'm still in the honeymoon phase where I get really happy on Adderall. I hope this lasts forever.
Old 02-24-12, 03:49 AM

Thanked 2,142 Times in 1,414 Posts
Peripheral has disabled reputation

People with ADHD have less of the dopamine neurotransmitter.

Medication like Ritalin increase the production of dopamine.

So do many other substances like caffeine,

cigarettes,

cocaine and meth.

It is the potential harmful side effects,

of the different substances,

that make them different.

Low dopamine production,

also leads to a lack of impulse control.

If an undiagnosed ADHDer uses a stimulant,

that increase the production of dopamine.

The impulse problems become less.

And feel less.

Making it feel like a very good thing to do.

One of the problems,

with uncontrolled substances,

is some of them produce to much dopamine.

To much dopamine in the brain,

causes the brain to stop making natural dopamine,

and the natural neurotransmitters go to sleep,

as away for the brain/body to level out.

When the substance that raised the dopamine production wares off.

The brains natural dopamine receptors do not "wake up" right away,

and can sometimes take months for them to "wake up" .

The lack of impulse control becomes worse.

The persons brain takes over,

and goes on a search for dopamine producing substances.

Starved of dopamine.

That there own brain will not produce for a period of time.

I am not a professional,

but I think that is why so many ADHDers use substances.

I am curious to know if "behavioral addictions" like gambling shopping, over eating...,

raise dopamine levels in the brain?

][

I was born with slightly more hyperreactive (hypersensitive) emotional, homeostatic, and sensory unconditioned instinctual feelings.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peripheral For This Useful Post:
BklynStar555 (03-13-12), buddy (02-24-12), dsvlil1 (02-25-12), flashgun101 (06-30-12), Fuzzy12 (02-24-12), TheChemicals (02-24-12), Unmanagable (02-25-12)
Old 02-24-12, 06:19 AM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, even activities can raise dopamine levels. That's why we find it easier to focus on tasks that we enjoy doing because those tasks give us the stimulation we need in order to focus.
flashgun101 (06-30-12), Fuzzy12 (02-24-12), TexasBelle (03-04-12), TheChemicals (02-24-12)
Old 02-24-12, 08:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

Good stuff (not that addictions are good - just good ideas/info)

I hope the addiction community, which is (understandably) anti-medication, does more to help stimulant addicts who may have ADD. They won't stay clean long if the underlying factors aren't addressed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenstar For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (02-25-12)
Old 02-24-12, 08:24 AM

Thanked 10,040 Times in 5,450 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Who in there right mind would want to put junk like that into there body,meth isnt even pure its made up of alot of toxic chemicals.If ya gotta get high as a kite go buy a motorcycle
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
buddy (02-24-12), Fraser_0762 (02-24-12)
Old 02-24-12, 09:03 AM

Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,069 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Who in there right mind would want to put junk like that into there body,meth isnt even pure its made up of alot of toxic chemicals.If ya gotta get high as a kite go buy a motorcycle
i did just thta and yes it does work. The problem is i went from a 600cc to a 650cc sport and then finally a Honda Superhawk V-twin 1000cc+....and even then--- i wanted something faster. Thats when i realized i am prolly going to end up dead and sold my moto.
flashgun101 (06-30-12), Fraser_0762 (02-24-12)
Old 02-24-12, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChemicals View Post
i did just thta and yes it does work. The problem is i went from a 600cc to a 650cc sport and then finally a Honda Superhawk V-twin 1000cc+....and even then--- i wanted something faster. Thats when i realized i am prolly going to end up dead and sold my moto.
I started with 600cc, but then that just wasn't enough, so I increased to 650cc, then that didn't feel as good, then before I knew it, I was up to 1000cc! Then I knew I had a problem...