ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-22-04, 03:18 AM

apm825 is on a distinguished road
I have focus, but on the wrong things

I have all kinds of focus and concentration, but am concentrating on the fun things and things that interest me, not on things that have to get done....paying bills, cleaning up my desk, actually getting to work.

I took my 20mg Adderall a few hours ago and I have spent 90% of this time of focusing with lazer beam concentration in conversations with people online (or reading web pages)! ...well, I was talking with my wife for a while about things people were saying on the Conan Obrien TV show (she likes to sleep with the TV on), and she rolled over and went to bed. LOL.

I am getting a little work done here at my desk, but will shift to things that interest me. Suprisingly I am actually doing better than what I was without the Adderall, but why can't I focus on the things I really need to be concentrating on?

Anyone else have this phenomenon? Normal residual ADD symptoms even with a med? Will it pass after being on Adderall over time? Suggestions?
Old 10-22-04, 03:24 AM

BTW, one of the things I've done in the last hour was come across and respond to the following blog entry of the existence of ADD. Thought you guys might find it interesting.

http://gutrumbles.com/archives2/000625.php
Old 10-22-04, 04:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Garry has disabled reputation
I'm not sure if the moderators will allow this link to remain due to two reasons.....

It draws focus away from ADDforums

and due to the offensive language in the post in several places

But I will agree with various parts of the posts from several of the participants of that thread..........

There are also parts of it that I will make no comment on as I don't have the ability to ask the posters to clarify their point.

I have personally bookmarked the Blog for future reference and anyone who is interested may PM me for the Web Address if the link is removed.......

This is of coarse assuming that this post of mine is OK with the administrators of our forum

I am ------------ ADD
Addaptable, Directed, Determined

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-04, 10:59 AM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Adderall allows focus. It does not magically rewire your brain to tell it what to focus on. YOu have to decide what you are doing, when, still. The advantage of Adderall is once you finally get yourself working on what you need to, you will be focused.
Old 10-22-04, 01:49 PM
Contributor

Chicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really nice
apm825,

I've had the same experience. I started Adderall last week and can now focus like crazy a lot of the time, but not on my work, most of which is really boring and tedious.

I'm supposed to be starting this project of comparing current addresses of people from two databases and correcting the ones that have been updated - there are at least 600 people! I don't know how I'm going to get through it.

"Life is more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt than a surprise party." (Mozzie, White Collar) (I wish I could remember why I thought this quote was so profound and related to ADHD )
Old 10-23-04, 11:43 AM

Well, I found the magic bullet for me to *direct* my focus and concentration yesterday...I went to bill my main client yesterday and he berated me about two hours about the progress on the application I'm writing for him...made me feel like crap. I had been only working 25 hours a week for the last month, when I had normally spend 40-50 hours on it a week. No loss on his part, he pays me per hour.

Of course being a contractor, I can be eliminated much more quickly than an employee. Nothing like a good scare to get your butt in hear!
Old 10-23-04, 11:52 AM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
While meds will help they don't teach you new skills. This is something that you will either need to develop on your own or that somebody like an ADD Coach could help you with.
Old 10-23-04, 11:56 AM

Where do you find a coach? There is a clinic here in town that supposedly has a whole program specifically for ADD. I checked into it and of course my insurance doesn't cover it.
Old 10-23-04, 12:08 PM

BTW, I just checked out your web page. Very good...lots of good resources!

Also, now that I think I have found the right medication, maybe its time I explore the other non-med forums of this site.
Old 10-29-04, 02:11 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
all i know is: i'm not on the same team as acidguy is..i read his blog..but it is HILARIOUS.LOL.
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR
Old 10-29-04, 03:42 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky75
apm825,
I'm supposed to be starting this project of comparing current addresses of people from two databases and correcting the ones that have been updated - there are at least 600 people! I don't know how I'm going to get through it.
AUGHGHHHH! That sounds like a horrible task. THe only way I can do something like that is:

A. if it's something I'm really interested in, I can harness the hyperfocus.

B. Find a clever way to do the comparing by programming a custom database query that pulls the two files together & automatically udates them. Sometimes this might take much longer than doing it manually but that kind of manual data reading is one of the most difficult things to do for me so it would be worth avoiding the loads of mistakes I would probably make. And a custom application like that could be reused.
Old 10-29-04, 03:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunnystar is on a distinguished road
apm, I do the same thing, I have pretty good concentration when it comes to things I find fun or interesting (like this forum for instance!), but I can't say I ever have "really good" concentration ever. When I was taking adderall, I would do the same, I had to keep in mind it was a tool to help me concentrate better in general, it didn't spark some desire in me to do the things I needed to get done, but rather just gave me some extra brain power to use as I wanted to, weither it be goofing off or getting stuff done.
Old 11-01-04, 06:36 PM
Contributor

Chicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf
B. Find a clever way to do the comparing by programming a custom database query that pulls the two files together & automatically udates them. Sometimes this might take much longer than doing it manually but that kind of manual data reading is one of the most difficult things to do for me so it would be worth avoiding the loads of mistakes I would probably make. And a custom application like that could be reused.
That's such a great idea! Especially as I seriously underestimated the number of records - it's more like 1500 - and I'm really trying to demonstrate my more advanced database skills in hopes of a promotion. The woman who was the database coordinator for my department for the last 18 years (!) just left and even though they know I have the filemaker experience and most of the knowledge to do what she did (and was her backup most of the time), they seem to be teaching a new person, who has no experience, how to do all of it. I hate office politics.

Anyway, sorry for the slight tangent... thanks for the idea, paulbf!

"Life is more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt than a surprise party." (Mozzie, White Collar) (I wish I could remember why I thought this quote was so profound and related to ADHD )
Old 11-01-04, 07:05 PM

WOW...are we ALL in Information Technology?
Old 11-04-04, 11:38 AM

dnahas is on a distinguished road
Well I am almost in IT, and I have been a consultant for many years mainly on the network side.

As for the ones who are not focusing on the work related tasks, a few posts back was correct the meds are not going to magically allow you to do everything perfect. With or without the meds there are things in our lives that have to be done but will never be enjoyed. The goal of the medication is to allow you to focus on the things you want to focus on. It’s not going to make you want to do everything, but allow you to do the things you want to well. I do recommend that you ask yourself the question “Now with the medication, once I start a non-enjoyable task is I able to complete it?” The answer will not be a clear yes and no, but it should clearly be more yes than no. For me its about 90% yes and 10% no. Remember that procrastination is also different from lacking the ability to focus. I typically put things off, but once I do start the task I able to follow it to completion.

You have to tell your self “its time to do laundry (that’s part of my 10%, insert what ever you want here).” It also helps to what motivates you to complete the “boring” tasks. Remember you have to have some want to do everything. IMO the easiest motivation for me is to tell myself “Once this is complete I will have to time to hyper focus on something enjoyable”

I hope this makes since.