ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-12, 12:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

tdsb12 is on a distinguished road
Driving - impact of ADD on it...

I saw in Delivered from Distraction mention that ADDer's are more at risk of car accidents and generally have more of an issue with driving (i.e. missing exits, driving too fast, etc).

Just wondering if people could comment more about their driving experiences. I am learning more about ADD. My EX recently started driving/got her full license and she would complain about difficulty driving on the highway and especially at night and at the time it made no sense to me. She was talking like that her difficulties were due to the surroundings around her (tractor trailer/rain/etc) and I thought it had to do with her inexperience of driving but now based on knowing the symptoms of ADD I think it is more ADD related as I can relate it back to other stories she told me as well. Just curious if people here were late to get their drivers license, have issues driving, need a GPS to get around, etc. She didn't really even know the streets of her own town and again at the time it really confused me but I understand it so much better now.
Old 02-28-12, 12:54 PM
Contributor

mjoy79 has a spectacular aura aboutmjoy79 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Driving - impact of ADD on it...

Hmmm driving. lol
Well I got my license when I turned 16 - I was happy to get it. But I had already had my first accident before that. During driver's ed, I mixed up the gas and the break while parking my dad's car and plowed into a flower shop window next door to the driver's ed place.
But fortunately the other big issues I had after that were not my fault. My sr. yr in high school, a younger student hit me in the high school parking lot. And several years ago i had some sort of blow-out and ended up running the front part of my car in to the ground.

But as far as distracted driving goes - I'm honestly surprised that I haven't had an accident. I've gotten close several times. I've missed exits a lot and gotten lost a lot. Thank God for GPS and mapquest on my phone - but even with that I still miss exits and think I know better than the GPS directions and end up wasting time. lol. And I've hit my fair share of curbs, especially while turning. Its sad.
But I am still more afraid of the other drivers and how distracted they are more than me. Knowing that people are texting and talking on their phones and on who knows what drugs, etc. I try not to think about it while I'm driving or I would have major anxiety!

RX: Vyvanese 20mg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjoy79 For This Useful Post:
Piper30 (02-29-12), Spacemaster (03-04-12)
Old 02-28-12, 12:56 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,599 Times in 14,577 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I dont consider myself a bad driver, but I do miss important details like..trying to make it home on a flat tire, getting pulled over and charged with being stupid. Or driving my hubbys pickup backing into afence,not realizing it and driving home, only to have the police show up. Yup, I just let him drive.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Piper30 (02-29-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-12, 01:33 PM

addsherpa will become famous soon enough

Like everything else with ADHD everyone is different. Don't assume it's one thing. Take a look at driving habits. If she never properly learned to drive than that can be a problem.

It sounds more like anxiety in her case a common comorbid condition. Is she shy and hesitant about things or strong and brassy?

Is she better driving with or without other people? She may be upset by criticism or anticipation thereof.

Good Luck
Augie
Thomas Sowell

Last edited by peripatetic; 03-03-12 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: removed link
Old 02-28-12, 01:35 PM
Contributor

Vector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, my ADD affects my driving for sure. Everytime I am driving I echo to myself: "watch, watch, be careful, be careful". This mechanism really helps. I also forget to turn on the head lights when its dark sometimes. Also when it's freezing and when I have to put the car in gear instead of the handbreak, I forget this when I start the engine; very scary when I start the engine then without pressing the clutch.
Old 02-28-12, 07:08 PM

josh1109 is on a distinguished road

My pychyatrist told me , that ADHD people are 80% more likely to be involved in a car accident and she said that most young people prefer straterra because it helps concentration for driving ( not in my case )
Old 02-28-12, 09:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,843 Times in 2,095 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get in the drivers seat if my brain is not working.

When my brain is working I am fine with driving. Only 1 speeding ticket and no accidents since I got my licence in 1992.
spunkysmum (02-29-12)
Old 02-28-12, 10:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Brob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud ofBrob2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
When my brain is working I am fine with driving. Only 1 speeding ticket and no accidents since I got my licence in 1992.
That is just so... wrong!!!

I have had my license pulled in all 3 provinces I have lived in plus the state of Maine, all for speeding infractions plus one or two other infractions (rolling a stop sign too quickly, etc.).

I still get nabbed every few years but am much better than I was.

_

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall
Nelson Mandela

Last edited by Brob2; 02-28-12 at 10:26 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Brob2 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (02-29-12)
Old 02-28-12, 10:18 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,767 Times in 3,105 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

ive only started driving last week, i have problems with stopping, turns, and other such things...dont use the power of suggestion to make me worse! ahahahahaha...i joke. but i guess im average for a beginner driver i guess.

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-28-12, 10:35 PM

Osakhomen is on a distinguished road

Haha, driving... man oh man.
I'm a decent driver. But I've almost got into so many accidents, it's crazy. I accidently almost hit a person once because I got the gas confused with the brake... My car did a 360 degree turn in the highway because I was trying to type something in my GPS and I got too close to the car next to me, and then turned my wheel too fast, the tire busted and I lost control of the car... thank GOD no one was behind me, and nothing happened except for one bad tire. Sometimes I go into park my car, but forget to actually put the car on park, but I usually catch myself once I feel the car moving...I've hit a parked (not too hard to leave damage) car before... I miss my exit occasionally because I so wrapped up my own thoughts. But I've only had 2 accidents in my life, and both were not my fault... I've gotten about 5 speeding tickets, but none on my record because I've taken driver's ed, out "fought" them in court.... Sometimes I don't even realize I'm speeding, it just kind of happens... I'm pretty sure God is on my side when I drive. I have pretty high anxiety when I drive now because of this... but I suppose that helps, because I pay more attention.
Old 02-28-12, 11:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

DistractedDude has a spectacular aura aboutDistractedDude has a spectacular aura about
Distracted Driving Might Cost Me My Job.

I can't believe that I saw this post! I was just getting online to talk about the same thing. Also, I am sorry for hijacking your post with my long response.

In my work truck, we have a "nifty" thing called DriveCam. This is a dashboard camera kind of like they have in police cars. The only difference is that it doesn't record all of the time. It is always on but only records 10 seconds before and after and "event" activates it.

The camera activated when it feels a force of 3 g's. Like I said, it'll record the 10 seconds before and after than then upload to DriveCam. If in the clip, you are doing something "coachable", such as looking at the computer, talking on the phone (handsfree or not), tailgating,and many other things, that it a "coachable" event.

If you have 8 "coacable" events in 45 days, you will be fired. I just finished my probation period with the DriveCam since I just got the job.

I just found out that I have had the most "coachable" clips in a company of about 3,000 employees during the last 45 days. I had 13. Most people had one, the next highest in our state has like 6. All of the clips were caused by me braking or turing around a corner to fast. Five of them caught me running stop signs (which I wouldn't do if I were paying attention) and the rest were of me looking at the computer. In some of the clips, I was even typing while I was driving. 2mph but still driving. I'm glad they haven't seen me typing while on the freeway, with BOTH hands no less.

The last few days, since I found out how bad I was doing, I have been trying really hard to pay attention to the road in stead of other things. The problem with paying attention to the road is that it's not stimulating. I get really bored just driving.

I also didn't realize how distracted I was in my driving. It will take a lot of work to get used to driving like a non-ADDer.

"Even if you fall on your face, you are still moving forward." ~Robert C. Gallagher
Old 02-28-12, 11:28 PM

Pansie has a spectacular aura aboutPansie has a spectacular aura about

Apart from my major addident which wasn't aDHD related, my driving has always been quite good. But I have to have music up fairly loud. It can't be any music, it has to be rock/pop that I can sing along to. I find that loud music keeps my attention from straying too much. i feel like it creates a kind of wall either side of me so it helps me focus my attention on the road. If I can sing along it stops my brain going into overdrive and thinking about hundreds of things at the same time. I do have to turn it right down if I need more focus, like doing a parallel park, which seems weird to me.
Son aged 12 - ADHD/AS
Son aged 11 - ADHD/ASD
The Following User Says Thank You to Pansie For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (02-29-12)
Old 02-28-12, 11:32 PM

Jism1990 is on a distinguished road

It took me over a year to learn how to drive. I found it incredibly difficult and everything costs an extortionate amount here in the UK. The average amount of driving lessons is around 45 hours. I think I did 160-180. That is a lot! Believe me.

Nothing just 'came' to me, everything was a challenge.

But I'm happy. Those 180 hours have made me an excellent driver. I can park and maneuver in the tightest of gaps. Although driving in America and driving in the UK are completely different.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jism1990 For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (02-29-12)
Old 02-28-12, 11:44 PM

sammyscion is just really nicesammyscion is just really nicesammyscion is just really nicesammyscion is just really nice

Funny you should mention that. Check out my avitar. Enough said.

Learners permit at 14 - backed into my driver's education teacher's car, parallell parking. Hey, I was just learning.
Driver's license at 15 - first accident - in a parking lot, couldn't tell where the other car was going to go. Didn't think to just stop.
Too many other's to calculate since then, if you count all the bumps and dings. (not all of them have been my fault) One common theme: encounters with stationary objects; thinking I cleared them or not seeing them at all and looking the other way.
To be fair, I've avoided many more accident's than I have had.
To be honest, the one's I've had have been mainly not paying attention or being distracted.
Interesting point, I drive much better in bad weather (only 2 on icy roads, not at fault) or emergency situations, I think because it demands my attention.
Now that I'm aware of ADD, I'm more careful to pay attention in casual driving and reduce the number of distractions.

PS: There may be additional issues for your EX. Big trucks, lots of traffic could be distractions to anyone. Night time is more difficult to see, or night blindeness could be in play.
Old 02-29-12, 12:22 AM

h82read is on a distinguished road

I was just going to post this. I had my third accident in a year. I was wondering how other ADHD adults handle driving. It is to the point I don't want to drive anymore. (Not really an option I live in the country.) I'm just sick.