ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-08-12, 11:37 PM

eyentp is on a distinguished road
2 Uncommon Adderall Side Effects

Dosage: 20MG XR twice a day, second dose taken 5hrs after first one

(1) When the Adderall begins to wear off, I start to get a tight throat sensation that feels like I am coming down with the flu/sick. Oddly, this does not happen while the medication is within peak range, but after it wears off or begins to wear off. Sometimes heavyness is felt in my chest, but it really feels like my lungs as if I had a bad cough or something

Now the second side effect, does not always occur when the first side effect is present. They're more so not related.

(2) After the Adderall wears off, my heart rate seems to spike. I've recorded my heart rate to be around 114 when sitting down, while usually my heart rate is around 90-100 while on the medication. My normal resting heart rate when not on medication is around 70-80 - what can be causing such a huge spike AFTER the medication wears off from the peak?
Old 03-08-12, 11:41 PM
Contributor

gatorADDe has a spectacular aura aboutgatorADDe has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2 Uncommon Adderall Side Effects

i think the heart rate spiking as stims wear off is actually a bit common. this happens to me too and i've read other posts about it on here too. i have no idea why this happens. it's weird cause id expect this to happen maybe when the stim is at it's peak concentration but it only does it when it's wearing off
Old 03-08-12, 11:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Urgezz will become famous soon enough

re chest tightness: do you smoke? adderall also creates all lot of stress and muscle tension, including your diaphragm which may feel tight even after AND especially after when the"buzz" isnt masking it anymore.

re heart rate: adderall (especially xr) lasts much longer inyour system than the therapeutic effects do. heart rate can increase when coming down to compensate for many things that thw drug is doing while active. if its too uncomfortable there's always beta blockers.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-12, 11:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyentp View Post
what can be causing such a huge spike AFTER the medication wears off from the peak?
My best guess: anxiety.
Old 03-12-12, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I do not smoke, I do not consume other stimulants aside from the Adderall.

I still find it odd how while the medication is effective, my physiological symptoms are non existent and everything is quite perfect.

I don't understand why anxiety would creep up AFTER the peak of the medication, and not during.

I can't seem to get rid of the throat sensation/pain, however it does seem to go away after I've consumed tea (tried this once) or eat food. I'm not ruling out that I just may have some kind of cold/flu/throat infection.

However the more I research my specific symptoms, the only concrete information I can seem to find is that these could be symptoms of pulmonary hypertension which is a very serious condition. This makes me worry, increasing anxiety, and just not being pleasant for me AFTER the medication wears off. For this, I am going to stop taking my medication until I see my psychiatrist in about a week and discuss what may be at play here.
Old 03-12-12, 08:07 PM

Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,965 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

interestingly enough today and yesterday ive felt sore in my nose/throat when my concerta starts wearing off and this is listed as a symptom in my booklet, my resting heart rate is 72 bpm, but it peaks at about 90bpm when im on concerta but that might also be to do with me being a busy bee right about the time i need it xx
Old 03-12-12, 10:54 PM
Jr Member

BklynStar555 is on a distinguished road

Interesting about the sore throat thing.. I noticed that I have what feels like swollen glands/ear-achey/painful swallowing when I am taking breaks (days off) but assumed I was developing allergies... because I never get truly sick *knock on wood*

I have noticed my panic symptoms sometimes appear as my meds wear off, once in a while in the form of racing heart rate, but not often. Overall, the adderall has greatly reduced my panic attacks in the 18 months or so I have been on it.
Old 03-13-12, 11:25 AM

My resting heart rate off medication is 70-80bpm, while on medication it's usually 95-105bpm, seems to go higher as the medication wears off. Potentially it's a panic attack knowing that I won't be able to get as much done :-D

I'd be upset if my doctors pull me of the medication, but I want to rule out any actual physiological conditions that could be creating this, such as pulmonary hypertension, any other cardiac discrepancy, or even if it's just simply a sore throat

I definitely function and feel much better while on Adderall though, than off. Far more consistent.
Old 03-13-12, 11:57 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Potentially it's a panic attack knowing that I won't be able to get as much done :-D
My therapist and my shrink both told me that my panic attacks could very well have been caused by the ADHD. Worrying I would miss something or that I would fail in some way. And the adderall REALLY diminished the presence of the attacks. Now that I am having some tolerance issues, they are starting to sneak in again. I had TWO last week. Bad ones where I couldn't talk or breathe.

For me, there is a definite connection.
Old 03-13-12, 01:27 PM

jennyb2492 is on a distinguished road

I had the same chest/throat tightness in the early afternoon the first 2 weeks of taking the Adderall - it didn't dawn on me until much later that the med was wearing off then - in fact, that's when I take my second dose now.

Oddly enough, I thought it might be anxiety - and I read some advice someone wrote somewhere that if you know it's anxiety, welcome it, put your arms (metaphorically) around it, and talk to it (seriously, talk out loud). Sounds weird, but it worked. So I stopped worrying about it,and it went away.

Mother to 10 y.o. David who has ADD.
Me? I read the symptoms and felt like someone had crawled inside my head to take a look around. We're on this adventure together.

Old 03-13-12, 04:17 PM

Doesn't anxiety involve a negative mental through process to be going on? I don't be doing/thinking about anything negative and then the chest/throat tightness/burning will come on even while I'm trying to work on something.
Old 03-13-12, 08:28 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Doesn't anxiety involve a negative mental through process to be going on? I don't be doing/thinking about anything negative and then the chest/throat tightness/burning will come on even while I'm trying to work on something.
My panic attacks do not have an immediate "cause" and they most often occur when things seem to be going well... it's the "background" fear/negativity/stress that is operating that I'm not consciously even aware of... I seem to be triggered by things like seasons, smells, tiny details that I don't even notice and only figure out after the fact...

Point is, you aren't always aware of the cause, at least I'm not...that's what is so scary. It's easier to deal with it if you can identify it.
Old 03-13-12, 08:43 PM

Thanked 16,280 Times in 7,694 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

VERY good answer.
Old 03-13-12, 10:19 PM

jennyb2492 is on a distinguished road

LOL I think my anxiety was "OMG I finally have something that helps me function but I really don't deserve it and they're gonna take it away from me somehow...."

My DH used to have panic attacks that took him to the ER and no one could ever figure out exactly what was triggering them. After a handful of visits to the ER, many EKG's, and another handful of visits to a psychologist, we all gave up trying to figure it out, and they eventually went away.

Mother to 10 y.o. David who has ADD.
Me? I read the symptoms and felt like someone had crawled inside my head to take a look around. We're on this adventure together.

Old 03-15-12, 10:13 PM

holepunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:

(1) When the Adderall begins to wear off, I start to get a tight throat sensation that feels like I am coming down with the flu/sick. Oddly, this does not happen while the medication is within peak range, but after it wears off or begins to wear off. Sometimes heavyness is felt in my chest, but it really feels like my lungs as if I had a bad cough or something

(2) After the Adderall wears off, my heart rate seems to spike.
Not so odd/uncommon.

1) Sympathomimetic amines like Adderall cause vasoconstriction (narrowing of the blood vessels resulting from contraction of the muscular wall of the vessels). There are number of possibilities that would be consistent with being asymptomatic while Adderall has high blood concentrations, then becoming symptomatic when blood levels drop:

- You are sick, but vasoconstriction effect was masking it
- Downregulation of norepinephrine receptors causing you to experience vasodilation (opposite of vasoconstriction) so that you require Adderall or other stimulants to return to baseline [more likely scenario]

...This would explain the 'sick', tight chest/throat, feeling you get.

2) Again, not so uncommon. Adderall can cause tachycardia (HR exceeding normal levels). Eventually, your body learns that your heart rate on Adderall should now become 'baseline' since it seems to be higher than usual, so often. So your body, to maintain homeostasis, will increase your baseline heart rate. When you are not on Adderall, it thinks something is strange, since your heart rate drops when blood levels of Adderall drops. So to compensate, it further increases your heart rate.

Best,
AddYourAll (03-28-12), La Sleepy (03-27-12), tired1823 (03-15-12)