ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-04, 11:09 AM

luvmi3kids is on a distinguished road
Got the DX: Going Today To Get the Meds

I'm nervous about this whole "medication" thing. I have taken Paxil in the past for depression, but never anything specifically for my ADD. Today I have an appointment with the staff psychyatrist to decide what medication would be best for me, after getting the ADD-inattentive type diagnosis two weeks ago.

I think the thing that makes me the most upset about needing these meds to function is that I have an 8 month old baby that I am still nursing. After talking with my friend, who is a lactation consultant, we decided there was really no ADD medication that is considered safe for nursing mothers. So, I have started weaning him. I hate that. I weaned both my other children wayyyy too early. This time I fought through so many challenges to get a good relationship going with my son because I had made a commitment to myself to nurse for a year. Now I am breaking yet another commitment. This seems to be a pattern with me (am I alone here) that I have trouble keeping commitments not only to friends and family, but to myself.

The other thing that wigs me out is that I'm afraid that I have unrealistic expectactions for the meds. That I will go through all this, trying to get the pills, weaning my baby, the medical bill expense, rx drug expense, and then find out it does no good and I'll be just as overwhelmed, unfocused, depressed, and hyperfocusing on my computer game as ever. I know that the meds are not a cure-all, and that I need to get myself on task. The drugs are a tool to help me focus, that's all. They are not a magic pill I can pop in my mouth and be superwoman. But, there's that little voice inside my head that says "I'll be better once I have my Ritalin (or whatever)". Since I have no idea what it is like to be on these drugs, I have no real idea what to expect. Did anyone else have these feelings?

So, anyway, I guess I just wanted to let y'all know I was going today, and maybe ask for you to send me some good thoughts and prayers because I am so nervous. I'll let y'all know what the Dr. and I decided to do this evening.
The Following User Says Thank You to luvmi3kids For This Useful Post:
Peggy576 (04-05-13)
Old 10-27-04, 04:03 PM

luvmi3kids is on a distinguished road
Okay, that was an odd visit.

1st he made me take another assesment. This time, for some reason I scored ADHD. I have never scored that before, so it was very strange. We talked for awhile about family history and my own history. He asked me which one was ADD, my Mother or my father. He didn't buy the "neither" answer I gave him. Then he started telling me about the Strattera he was going to prescribe for me. I told him that I was nursing, how is that going to affect that? He looked at me a little oddly and said, "I don't know, no one ever asked me that before." Looked it up on his PDA and told me that the risks are inconclusive. Then asked me when I was planning on weaning. He even said that there was always the posibility that my son has ADD, and that maybe it would be theraputic. Finally, he started talking to me about my spiritual life, and asked me if I wanted to pray with him to "turn my life over to God." Ummm, no. I'm Baptist, darlin', told you that in the screening tool. Yeah, I don't go to church every Sunday, yeah, my life is not completely "right with God" but I didn't think this place was a Christian Couselling Center and if it is not, that was a tad inapropriate. Did I grow some gumption and say that? No. I took my Strattera samples and ran out the door.
Old 12-11-12, 06:27 AM

kiwigirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Got the DX: Going Today To Get the Meds

I would love that if my doctor offered to pray with me, I also would love if my son's Dr prayed before treating/prescribing for my son... I also would love it if medication wasn't the first trick in the bag tried, why diet, supplements, herbs, homeopathy, exercise, brain training etc aren't the first things tried and medication either a last resort or a self choice as an informed adult.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-12, 06:28 AM

kiwigirl is on a distinguished road

Lolz you asked for prayers and when the Dr offered you declined funny : )
Old 12-12-12, 01:09 PM
Forum Guru

dogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to behold

I don't think it would be "theraputic" to excrete Stratterra in breast milk. Doctor's don't diagnose and treat infants with ADD. If you do decide to take it, please double check with your OB/GYN who delivered your baby as to whether or not it's safe. Please don't feel bad about having to wean your child early if you do decide to take it and your OB says 'no' to breastfeeding while taking it. The best person to know besides a psychiatrist is the OB. Hang in there. Meds won't fix everything but might provide some relief.
The Following User Says Thank You to dogluver358 For This Useful Post:
Plognark (12-12-12)
Old 12-12-12, 01:13 PM
Forum Guru

dogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to behold

And whether or not this was a Christian Counselling center or not, it's a tad inappropriate to ask you to pray with him. Just politely tell him you do not want to do that now or in the future if that is your wish, and he should respect it. If not, find a new doc.
Old 12-12-12, 01:21 PM
Contributor

Phoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to behold

Er... old thread is old.

I wonder how OP's 8 year old baby is doing these days?

Rx: Dextroamphetamine IR for ADD-PI.

Currently on a trial of Chlorpheniramine for depression & anxiety. So far so good.

Formerly on Wellbutrin, Prozac, and various forms of
Ritalin, Adderall, Vyvanse