ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-27-04, 03:22 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
how hard is it to get accomodations?

This semester is my first foray into school for almost seven years i think..yes , i cannot remember...
i'm doing 'ok' and if you've read any of my posts you know i'm making a's but i just did horribly on my midterm for logic.

now:
i am finally seeing how accomodations could mean the difference btwn getting a degree or not.

at first i didn't think i would ever need accomodations. i always thought i could handle everything myself.

even on adderall i have some issues. which i guess is normal .mainly adderall has allowed me to finish things, and be more mentally ordered.

i would use accomodations, such as testing conditions, only rarely, and only when it think it would be necessary if i were granted these...

i've left a message at my school's disability office and i'm extremely nervous. other than seeing my therapist and psychiatrist, who are familiar and well known to me for the past few years, i have never approached anyone formally about my adhd. i've read a bit here and there about pursuing accomodations, but i'm unclear:

is it difficult to get the formal status for documentation?

if i am presently under the care of a psychiatrist and a psychologist, would these two be enough, if they presented my diagnoses to my disablity office at school?

or do i have to go to someone who is specialized in adhd?

i need to get this done.

predictably, i've waited til mid semester to even go about this. LOL

i just didn't think i would need it. now i feel desperate. i also am anxious that i'm going to be told NO. and that is extremely stressful to even entertain.

any advice out there???
Old 10-27-04, 06:49 PM

inautumnforfree is on a distinguished road
i think you need to submit a letter from a doctor.
touching bark right above you silently
i lower down my icy stare, you smell the air
i've got a samurai sword meant for you polar bear
i've got a grizzly look in my eye
you aim to drag me back down underground to gorge
you want my blood all over your face
but i'm plummeting through branches towards you know
feeling still (samurai phil)
Old 10-27-04, 08:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Your college should have a disbilities dept. They should tell you what exactly is needed. If you are only looking for accomodations the AD/HD then written documentation from either the of the two should be all that is needed. If you have other LD's they may require results of testing.
Old 10-27-04, 11:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

thanks for replying! i'm absolutely nervous about this.
i've come across websites today, as a matter of fact one called 'the adhd fraud'
and it seriously makes me doubt myself...so i just get freaked out when i have to do anything 'official' about it and i've never asked for help before.
after reading so many posts about the bad experiences of ppl and 'coming out' about adhd for various reasons its frightening to consider the rejection.

it would mean me getting a degree or not in a lot of ways.
Old 10-28-04, 12:39 AM

Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,318 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
If you have documentation demonstrating and detailing the disabilities, it is very, very easy.

If you do not have documentation, it is virtually impossible.
Old 10-28-04, 08:24 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

well, i know that some documentation is necessary..
i'm just wondering exactly what kind. both my docs will do it..i just don't know if they would 'qualify' they're both phd's, a psych and a psychiatrist...so..fromt the reading that i've done from these adhd websites they always emphasize someone who 'has experience' with adhd...etc...
i know that this is something you would want out of your doc...but...
my psychologist and my psychiatrist have been doing it for 20 years..and if i as a doctor, diagnose someone for bipolar, deppression, or anything else for that matter..does that make me less of an expert? you know what i mean? it almost seems to me that from what i've read you want a doc that has only seen adhd patients exclusively..and to be dramatic: his degree is "doc of adhd"
you know?
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR
Old 10-28-04, 06:12 PM

distracted23 is on a distinguished road
I just needed the report from my psych, who does not specialize in ADHD. So, technically I'm supposed to be getting accom's, but I get resistance from teachers. Apparently I have to almost tell people (other students) in order to use some of them, which freaking sucks. I'm trying to figure out a way around it. There's also NO extra help, as in just talking to the teachers, most back off VERY quickly and put up their walls with their disapproving stares. ARGH. Sorry, lost the focus of this thread. Anyways, yeah, something from your regular psych should be fine. Hopefully you have a good disabilities (hate that word) office. Mine has one person working for it and they are part time. Yay.
Old 10-28-04, 09:13 PM

Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,318 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
You will need more than just something saying "Has ADHD." You need a report detailing the specific problems caused by the disability, and a recommendation of accomodations. A simple "Dx ADD" will not work for most offices.
Old 10-29-04, 01:24 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

i'm wracked over this.
its like trying to win miss america and i weigh 400 pounds!
i'm beautiful dammit!
Old 10-29-04, 11:31 AM
Jr Member

acnail83 is on a distinguished road
Since I'm still relatively new to this, I'm not sure how much this will help. Also the fact that not all Professors or Instructors are NOT created equally. Since it was just yesterday that my doctor and I decided to see how I do on medication, and I won't be able to begin the medication until next week, I am approaching my professors today and talking with them one on one in their offices and explaining my situation. They know me, and my grades and I know most of them have been very suprised at my low grades and my high desire to do well. I'm thinking that this should be the best course of action in your case also. If you have a professor or advisor that you really trust, talk to them first, let them know that you really want help, and you're willing to go the extra mile to make it in college. I know I've been trying and trying to get my grades up, but my inability to finish or even begin things has gotten in the way of what I know I am capable of. I'm sure your teacher(s) should understand, and they may even assist you in getting the appropriate information and talking to the disability office. I know each of my Professors are very eager to help students with special needs, and I'm sure there have to be one or two at your school (I'd hope). Most importantly, try and form a friendship w/ your teachers, and show them you care about how you do.
Old 11-01-04, 12:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

my proff. has been unbelievably understanding. i'm sooo grateful. he told me that i could retake my midterm. thank god. i made a 70%. i was so upset...i can make a 100% ! i know all that info! dang it!
so i cannot wait til i can retest w/ accomodations..i will feel so much less stressed out. and hopefully i can prove to myself and to him that this is what i need. i'm so nervous. wednesday night is approaching and its my first visit with a disabilities person ever. i never looked at myself as having a disability..that word always seemed too dramatic. i don't have any shame about it- its just hard to go through with it when the rest of the world (literally i swear) just doesn't even think you have a single issue whatsoever b/c of who they 'think' you are.
thank god! i hope everything goes ok. i'm crossing my fingers...
Old 11-01-04, 02:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

GirlDriver is on a distinguished road
Good News @ Accommodations for ADHD

f_wcomboadhd,
Excellent news about your prof. You deserve your accommodations & I wish you much luck with it! Please let us know what happens.
GD

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_wcomboadhd
my proff. has been unbelievably understanding. i'm sooo grateful. he told me that i could retake my midterm. thank god. i made a 70%. i was so upset...i can make a 100% ! i know all that info! dang it!
so i cannot wait til i can retest w/ accomodations..i will feel so much less stressed out. and hopefully i can prove to myself and to him that this is what i need. i'm so nervous. wednesday night is approaching and its my first visit with a disabilities person ever. i never looked at myself as having a disability..that word always seemed too dramatic. i don't have any shame about it- its just hard to go through with it when the rest of the world (literally i swear) just doesn't even think you have a single issue whatsoever b/c of who they 'think' you are.
thank god! i hope everything goes ok. i'm crossing my fingers...
Old 11-04-04, 12:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

i received accomodations!!!

THANKS GD AND EVERYBODY!!!
i just finished my meeting a little while ago and i'm relieved (other events on the national level have been making me stress..angst..bitterness. so this was a nice thing today)
the counselor was a great lady..her son has adhd..so i could truly express to her why i felt like i needed accomodations and just get it off my chest. it was actually pretty great.
thank god.
thanks for all of the kind words.
i guess i like my hand held guys!!!