ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-24-12, 04:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

Content ID will become famous soon enough
Adderall and vitamins?

I know this type of threads been created before but I have a question that just needs a plain old answer.

I started taking Daily vitamins at night two help with anything I would be lacking due to the amount of water I drink in a day to keep hydrated.

But anyway, after taking my vitamins it contains just about everything from Vitamin C, to Magnesium. After taking it last night, this morning when I took my Adderall XR like normal it felt kind of stronger or more potent than usual. Could this be a placebo effect or can it be real?
Old 03-24-12, 11:13 PM

holepunch is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and vitamins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content ID View Post
I know this type of threads been created before but I have a question that just needs a plain old answer.

I started taking Daily vitamins at night two help with anything I would be lacking due to the amount of water I drink in a day to keep hydrated.

But anyway, after taking my vitamins it contains just about everything from Vitamin C, to Magnesium. After taking it last night, this morning when I took my Adderall XR like normal it felt kind of stronger or more potent than usual. Could this be a placebo effect or can it be real?
It would vary widely depending on the ingredients in the vitamin. Would you mind posting a link to the product page so I can take a closer look? Vitamin C can increase acidity in the stomach which lowers absorption of amphetamine. It is believed that magnesium may slow down tolerance to amphetamine.

There are many ingredients in vitamins that could simply be helping you maintain attention in a way that was not possible before due to deficit of a particular vitamin or mineral.

There is no easy answer to this, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Old 03-25-12, 03:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

Content ID will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by holepunch View Post
It would vary widely depending on the ingredients in the vitamin. Would you mind posting a link to the product page so I can take a closer look? Vitamin C can increase acidity in the stomach which lowers absorption of amphetamine. It is believed that magnesium may slow down tolerance to amphetamine.

There are many ingredients in vitamins that could simply be helping you maintain attention in a way that was not possible before due to deficit of a particular vitamin or mineral.

There is no easy answer to this, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Alright, http://flintstonesvitamins.com/en/nutrients.php
That's what listed on the bottle of mine. Call it silly for it to be Flintstones but my Physician thought they would work best for me.
Also, at the Vitamin C part never knew that it can do that :X what should I do now look for a vitamin with magnesium in it and only a few others?
Old 03-25-12, 08:49 PM

holepunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content ID View Post
Alright, http://flintstonesvitamins.com/en/nutrients.php
That's what listed on the bottle of mine. Call it silly for it to be Flintstones but my Physician thought they would work best for me.
Also, at the Vitamin C part never knew that it can do that :X what should I do now look for a vitamin with magnesium in it and only a few others?
I personally take a multivitamin that contains Vitamin C. For me, the benefits of the vitamin outweigh the possible reduction in efficacy of Adderall XR.

You simply have to decide for yourself. You should take Adderall XR on its own without a multivitamin for 1 week and keep a journal of side effects/therapeutic effects, etc. The week after, do the same while taking it with the multivitamin for 1 week. With that, you'll be able to see if you're willing to give up the multivitamin, or if it's affecting Adderall absorption at all.

Looking at Flintstones Gummies Complete multivitamin, it lists a dose of 30 mg Vitamin C per unit, which isn't much at all. My multivitamin contains somewhere in the range of 300mg per unit.

Best,
Old 03-27-12, 12:48 AM

awdotson is on a distinguished road

Take this with a grain of salt, I'm not a chemist nor am I a Doctor. My College Bio instructor gave us this talk on MultiVitamins. The idea behind them is that they contain many of the chemicals, or building blocks to more complex chemicals in your body. You already have them, but sometimes a little more means you get a few more reactions in your body. Many of these cycles are going to run just like they have, regardless of what you've put in your body, but a lot of the literature on vitamins support single digit percentage changes in efficiency. So, that is like I put a pill in my gas tank, and instead of a full tank, i get 103% of a tank. I still have the tank.

Not too long ago I read a great write up in a major science journal (sorry the name eludes me) that started with a question. The question was actually asked at a major national conference for nutritionists (the people you see when you want to know what to eat or not eat). The question was, what supplements do you give your family. Surprisingly, there was really only one that a significant number gave out at home, Vitamin D (which I highly encourage people to look into, the relationship with depression, and giving birth to autistic children is quite interesting. This was discovered by contrasting the rates of each between whites and blacks living in two different areas. Areas primarily covered in clouds and cold (more indoor time) to more temperate places.)

Which, we really don't need, because we make it! But, as society conflicts with evolution, we find ourselves indoors too often and not absorbing the suns magnifcent rays.

So to the point (tl;dr) Not likely. I can't say for sure, as I am not expert, but I FEEL if I were in your position I would likely be going through hyperfocus and as such rendering an effect not terribly dissimilar to a placebo.

Hope that helps in anyway.