ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-12, 12:36 PM

mnmat0 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Taking Vyvanse daily for years = dangerous? Long term negative effects?

Someone posted about this in another thread of mine but it seemed worth expanding on: is it safe/recommended to take Vyvanse every day over a period of years? Or are you supposed to take breaks? I've been taking Vyvanse every day for close to 2 years now and am concerned about the potential long-term negative effects this daily dosing may have in the future if continued or may have already caused.

I've read on a few different sites how people on stimulant meds will often take breaks and purposely skip days or not take them over weekends, weeks, months or seasons. For example, someone is prescribed Adderall and takes it every weekday during the school year but doesn't take any on the weekends, over the summer or during vacations. I figured this sort of schedule was mostly just for people who needed the meds especially for school and didn't have enough of an issue with ADD etc during the rest of the year, so I didn't think much of it since my issues go beyond just school or work and I don't believe I've had any problem with tolerance over time. I believe the Vyvanse is just as effective now as it's ever been for me and I'm on a lower dose than I have been in the past. The majority of my time taking Vyvanse I was taking it at 60mg or 70mg in addition to Wellbutrin (which has a similar effect and boosts the efficacy of Vyvanse even more) and I'm currently taking 40mg without the Wellbutrin or anything else that might potentiate it and I still experience the desired effect.

However, in another thread of mine someone posted about how it's unsafe to take Vyvanse on a daily basis over a long period of time like I've been doing but didn't explain why. After doing some research on this I've read other reports about a variety of awful effects that come from long-term daily stimulant use, mostly stemming from how it burns out dopamine receptors and can lead to cell loss, losing cognitive ability and eventual brain damage. Basically meaning that after a long enough period on the medication your ability to focus and feel pleasure will be either abnormally impaired or irreversibly and permanently shot. Some of these reports say this only happens to people who take stimulant medication but don't have ADD, since they would be operating with especially high levels of the neurotransmitters over an extended time whereas for someone with ADD the increased dopamine production would only serve to normalize the levels since they were so low to begin with. But then other reports say that the negative cognitive effects will happen after a long enough time on the medication regardless of whether the patient has ADD or not.

Other than the cognitive effects, the next most commonly discussed issue seems to be the extra strain stimulants put on your heart and how they increase your blood pressure and heart rate and how, after many years of this, various heart problems can occur. My blood pressure is normal but my resting heart rate is certainly higher than it should be and has consistently been higher than before I started taking the Vyvanse, so although I've had an EKG done and was found to have no heart conditions or abnormalities, I worry about this as well.

On the other hand, I've also read conflicting reports, some saying that the severe negative long-term impacts and effects are very unlikely to occur if the stimulant is taken at a prescribed dose and used properly. In addition, regarding the "taking it every day vs. taking breaks" argument, I've also read reports claiming that it's worse if you take stimulants on an irregular schedule as this makes the drug less effective overall and the "ups and downs" of taking it, not taking it, then taking it again will cause more stress on the body as well as more noticeable and severe side effects when you resume the medication after a break. Also, just about everything I found on long-term effects of stimulant meds was in regard to Adderall or Dexedrine, not Vyvanse...which I guess makes sense since Vyvanse has only been on the market for a few years, and while Vyvanse and Dexedrine are essentially the same drug and Adderall isn't far off, it still makes me wonder if Vyvanse would cause different long-term effects for any reason.

Overall I guess I'm just not sure what to believe about this so I figured I'd ask here.

Sorry about the long post! I'll break this down into three specific questions I have:
  1. Is it safe/recommended to take Vyvanse every day over a period of years or are you supposed to take breaks?
  2. Is it generally recommended to not take Vyvanse anymore after "X" amount of months, years etc or can it be taken indefinitely without any likely adverse long-term effects?
  3. What is the probability of actually developing some of the serious negative long-term effects mentioned above (cognitive or otherwise) after taking Vyvanse for 2 years straight? What about 5 or 10 years straight? Is it guaranteed, highly likely, 50/50, unlikely, highly unlikely, impossible etc? Nothing I found actually mentioned how often this sort of thing occurs so it would be nice to get an idea of the likelihood or a rough percentage.
The Following User Says Thank You to mnmat0 For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (09-13-14)
Old 03-27-12, 03:09 PM

Dony164 is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking Vyvanse daily for years = dangerous? Long term negative effects?

Hey man, I've been taking Vyvanse for three years now, and i've done the same exact thing you have, no break just everyday the same dosage for 3 years of 30 mg,s. 2-3 months ago i got upped to 50 mg,s because the med's weren't effective enough anymore. I can tell you this much, after the med's stop working as effectivly as they should you feel the effects of withdraw like - Iritibility, uninterested in things you would normally like etc.
My heart rate is noticibly higher on vyvance however it never deviated from what is considered a normal heart rate.

See, everyday now, after about 5 hours of initial intake i go into a withdraw and i cannot focus, worse yet i feel almost depressed. So hearing about those neuro receptors and the potential for them to deteriate doesn't seem so far fetched.

My advice to you is not to worry about it so much, do what the doctor tells you and along with your medication take a multi-vitamin in the morning. the multi vitamin really does make a diffrence, it get's rid of the depression that this stimulant can give you.
Old 06-23-12, 11:53 AM

steinwac is on a distinguished road

I've been wondering these questions for a long time. I've found Vyvanse to feel much more stable and safe than the other stimulants. With that said, I still worry about possible long term effects of neurotransmitter (NT) desensitization (aka: "down-regulation"), overall of neurodegeneration, and of course heart effects. Heart woes have actually developed into anxiety for me.

I will say that erratic and or abusive use of vyvanse or adderall can definitely (anecdotal evidence from family) result into those effects you mentioned in your post (NT desensitization, depression, worsened ADD, overall cognitive impairment, etc.). For those reasons I try to avoid going on and off the medicine as this more closely mimics an abusive pattern. Further going on and off a stimulant, I notice that the first dose after a break is heightened/more effective/ could be described as a "high". Intuition tells me that getting "high" is more likely to result in NT down regulation.

With that said, there simply are no long term studies on Vyvanse due to its recent release. Further, long term trials of any drugs are extremely expensive, not required by the FDA, and any serious negative long term effects found by the manufacture are likely to go unreported for financial reasons. Further, long term neurological effects are inherently much more difficult to study than other effects (like rate of heart attacks).

So it's up to you determine whether the juice is worth the squeeze in the long run. I originally passed up medical school for worries that needing to take stimulants for decades as a physician may kill me. I take stimulants now; I've made my decision. My take, no drug is safe, stimulants certainly aren't, and long term effects 10-30 years down the road are likely to be grave, but hopefully manageable. Good luck.

Last edited by peripatetic; 05-07-13 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: added distinct paragraph breaks
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-13, 11:13 AM

14crawfords is on a distinguished road

I started Vyvance when it was very new. I was in 7th grade when I told my mom I couldnt consetrant and wanted help. He wanted to try me out on this drug because he thinks it is going to be very successful.

The first 3 years I had no side effects at all I started on 40s and im on the next dose up which I think is 45s or 50s I will have to look at the bottle when I go to lunch. But the past two years ive been having side effects that seem to slowly worsen. I started have loose stools 2 years ago but it was only on mondays or tuesdays because I dont take them over the weekend unless I am going to be working all day or have a school project.

But this school year has been rough on me. I find myself having trouble consentraiting so my doctor has tried moving up my dose but it worsens the side effects to the point that every day I will have loose stools almost once a hour from 830am to around 5 pm when it seems to wear off completely. I also feel cold constantly which causes me to always have cold chills which in return I have recently found out in the past year that I have cold Urticaria which makes me break out in hives if I get cold chills but not everytime.

My dad resently found out he has Diabetes Insipidus which is rare and is caused by a lack of antidiuretic hormone(AHD) which causes the kidneys to function improperly and one side effect of that is urinating frequently and diluted or completely clear. Well after finding this out I decided to look into if Vyvance could possibley be affecting my AHD and I found some researchs pointing to the possiblity of this and some studies say that a lack of AHD has been found in vyvance users but it goes back to normal after the drug is out of your body and the effects are worn off but I beleive that this could cause perminate damnage causing a life long lack of AHD which can be deadly if not caught just ask my dad his heart has fluid around it because of his condition but he is being treated and will heal but his whole lifestyle has to change in order to cope with this problem.

Like said before Vyvance is a VERY NEW drug in comparison to other ADD and ADHD drugs and I feel that the side affects worsen with time and I am scared that the long term affects this drug has on your body after years of use could be bad. I have been on this drug for going on 5 years and I am having side effects that effect my day negitively and I need to up my dose because I need a higher dose to have the same affect it use to but the side effects are so bad I immediatly call my doctor and ask to go back down to my old dose. And by no means am I a big baby about this stuff and I am that person that goes to school and work sick or health and doesnt complain but what this medicine does to me if I take a break is horrible.

I fear for my little sister who is also on it and this is the only ADHD medicine her body will not fight she had tried many but this is the one that her body had no bad side effects to just like me when I started but im afraid when she gets into highschool and has been on it for a long time she may have the same side effects as I do and I wish this for no one.

Does anyone have any information on the affects of Vyvance on the antidiuretic hormone?

Last edited by peripatetic; 05-07-13 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: added paragraphs
The Following User Says Thank You to 14crawfords For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (09-13-14)
Old 05-07-13, 01:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,983 Times in 6,052 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Calling Vyvanse "new" may be true in some sense, but really Vyvanse is a new way of taking a very old drug. It is amphetamine. (Dextro-amphetamine, to be precise.) In general, everything known about dextro-amphetamine should apply equally to Vyvanse. The effects are the same.
Old 05-07-13, 02:18 PM

Thanked 16,908 Times in 7,644 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I took dexedrine for 7 years and have taken adderall for over 2 years. I take it everyday at the same time for consistency and because my adhd is constant, chronic and life long. It never goes away and unmedicated, never gets better.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Heatheram (07-02-13), Lizzie80 (09-13-14), NeeNee thats ME (07-02-13)
Old 07-02-13, 01:43 PM

NeeNee thats ME is on a distinguished road

I really like reading the posts and research everyone has been doing, and I have done a bit myself, on the behavior, thinking, and actions of ADHD, it is like my doctor said, ALL medication is a trial and error phase for each person seperately, my daughter is 11 and she takes the same dose of Vyvanse (60) that I take AND..... this is why I was looking into "Long Term" effects.

I am an ADHD 44 year old mother of four and a grandmother of two, I am one of the adults that found out I was ADHD when I took my daughter for testing, I think it was dateline that I watched about ADHD adults, but nevertheless....I was in tears after watching it only because there wasn't a symptom in which I was missing....I didn't just have some of them...I had "ALL" of them, until Vyvanse helped....so as I still watch studies, I will hope that for me and my daughter who really need the Vyvanse that it will not be harmful long term of us......so we can stay as they say "normal"
Old 09-26-13, 09:11 AM

rayzh2012 is on a distinguished road

Vyvanse/amphenamine would cause downregulation of dopaminereceptors, meaning that your brain become insensitive towards the rewarding experience as you used to. The best way for me is to combine with CDP chlorine to up-regulate the receptor (aka, making it more sensitive to dopa-mine) and taking a high protein diet to prolong the effect of vyvanse. Though if you try this, be sure to take the medication earlier than 7 am or it may cause severe insomnia at the end of the day because of the remaining effect of the med.

PS: other than insomia and lost of appetite I haven't experienced any problems with daily use of 50mg vyvanse and finishing my college work.
The Following User Says Thank You to rayzh2012 For This Useful Post:
Fadedgirl (09-29-13)
Old 09-29-13, 03:34 AM

Fadedgirl will become famous soon enough

Ray: how much CDP Choline are you taking per day?
Old 12-29-13, 08:26 PM

julemc is on a distinguished road

I feel really strongly about this topic and actually created an account on this site just so I could give you my input.

I took vyvanse for about two years. It certainly improved my academic life, and was probably the only reason I got into college. During my second year of taking it, however, I began to notice some emotional changes in myself. It started that I would stay up late at night worrying about very trivial things that I previously never cared about. I would wait for my girlfriend to go to sleep and just cry about these things. Shortly after, I developed some strange OCD-like behaviors. For example, I had a specific routine that I HAD to do before getting in the shower. I would take off the three rings that I wore on both hands in a specific order (it had to be in that order), I would place them on a specific spot on a specific table, and then I'd take a hair tie and put it on top of the rings. I absolutely had to do this before I showered or I'd feel sick to my stomach all day, like something bad would happen. I also started getting really paranoid/anxious about some weird things. I was living in NYC and I would become very anxious about getting on the subway. I started getting weird thoughts in my head that the subway would be bombed. It was almost like a delusion. It got to the point that I stopped taking the subway on the days that I had a strong "gut feeling", because I was convinced I would die if I went on the subway. I eventually became too anxious to get into cars, too, just for fear of crashing.

Finally, I stopped taking vyvanse because, along with the things I just told you, I was kind of like a robot. I wouldn't say I was sad, but I never really felt happy. It's been about a year and a half since I stopped taking vyvanse. At first, I felt great. I had a lot of energy and felt pretty happy. Then I started to develop classic symptoms of stress/anxiety. Heart pounding, sudden acne, weight issues, etc. Then I started having severe panic attacks. First they happened a few times a week. Then they happened daily...and then they were never-ending. I was living in hell. I was having delusions, I felt like people I knew were actually just figments of my imagination. I began forgetting conversations I had with people, I was having trouble speaking and hearing, I was misplacing everything, I was in a constant state of depersonalization, and I was DEEPLY depressed. I thought I was losing my mind. Now, I obviously have no solid proof that vyvanse caused/triggered this...but after talking to other friends who have stopped taking vyvanse after taking it for at least a year, it sounds like they had much less severe versions of my experience.

To this day, I struggle with depression and anxiety in a way that I would never previously have the ability to comprehend. I have found ways to manage, but it was debilitating for a while. I absolutely urge you to stop taking vyvanse. I wouldn't wish this struggle on my worst enemy. Words can't explain how difficult this has been for me.

I'm not saying this to simply frighten you, or make an anxiety-prone person even more anxious...I just want to help as many people as I can so that this doesn't happen to them. Please do some more research. I want to figure this out, and I want to make something good out of my experience by helping others.
Old 12-30-13, 07:31 AM

Thanked 16,908 Times in 7,644 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

all of the things you experienced are awful but imo coincidental with the vyvanse. Any medication that is prescribed to be taken daily, is just that, for daily use, I am not saying these issues arent real but I am saying that they may have become noticable with the vyvanse not because of it.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-02-14, 01:43 AM

MandyPandy is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Taking Vyvanse daily for years = dangerous? Long term negative effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by julemc View Post
Finally, I stopped taking vyvanse because, along with the things I just told you, I was kind of like a robot. I wouldn't say I was sad, but I never really felt happy. It's been about a year and a half since I stopped taking vyvanse. At first, I felt great. I had a lot of energy and felt pretty happy. Then I started to develop classic symptoms of stress/anxiety. Heart pounding, sudden acne, weight issues, etc. Then I started having severe panic attacks. First they happened a few times a week. Then they happened daily...and then they were never-ending. I was living in hell. I was having delusions, I felt like people I knew were actually just figments of my imagination. I began forgetting conversations I had with people, I was having trouble speaking and hearing, I was misplacing everything, I was in a constant state of depersonalization, and I was DEEPLY depressed. I thought I was losing my mind. Now, I obviously have no solid proof that vyvanse caused/triggered this...but after talking to other friends who have stopped taking vyvanse after taking it for at least a year, it sounds like they had much less severe versions of my experience.

To this day, I struggle with depression and anxiety in a way that I would never previously have the ability to comprehend. I have found ways to manage, but it was debilitating for a while. I absolutely urge you to stop taking vyvanse. I wouldn't wish this struggle on my worst enemy. Words can't explain how difficult this has been for me.
I don't mean to say your Dr. misdiagnosed you, but you may want to consider if you ever even had ADD/ADHD. Everything you are describing are the side effects ADD meds have on people who really DONT have the disease. My daughter has been on Vyvance for over a year. She is on a low dose, but she has never had anything even close to what you describe. She has never had a euphoric or happy feeling on the medicine. She simply becomes what most people consider "normal". As a recently diagnosed person with adult ADD, I can attest to the fact that Adderall does not give me any sort of euphoric or happy feeling either. I just finally feel like I can function. My Dr. watched me very closely because he described side effects like yours and said that this happens with those who actually don't have the disease, or were on too high of a dose. I hope you find some help with your depression and anxiety. I used to like Wellbutrin XR because I cried less and had less anxiety. However, it didn't cure my other ADD symptoms so I was still always feeling "guilty" over my many failures and inability to follow through. Perhaps your on the other side, and something like Wellbutrin would be of benefit to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to MandyPandy For This Useful Post:
KrazyKat4Ya (07-08-14)
Old 01-17-14, 06:38 AM

Person104 is on a distinguished road

I have taken this medication for about 7 years, and my motor skills have definitely changed! They did warn me about the motor ticks after long time use, but now I no longer have a steady hand. I "shake", I guess you could say. I do not mean like shaking uncontrollably, but more like I can't be a surgeon if i wanted to be. I stopped the medication, but this side effects still sticks with me. As small as it may sound, I can't glue or sew objects together cause I cant get a steady hand to do it. Vyvanse can help with school and finishing everyday tasks, but long-time does SOMETIMES come at a price.
Old 04-16-14, 11:08 PM

Corleych is on a distinguished road

I'm 19. I started on aderall 11 years ago and for the past 4 years, I've been on 70 mg of vyvanse every day with random breaks. I'm never happy. Constantly depressed. I don't know what to do at this point. When I'm on it I can't sleep and if I'm on it for too long without a long break, I get really really depressed an I have horrible horrible thoughts.

But when I take a break, I don't want to do anything but sleep, lay down, be anti social, and I just hate everyone. I'm terrified that I'll never be able to live with or without it. I feel like I'm gonna be like this for the rest of my life and that thought makes me suicidal.

Is there a doctor I can see about this? Or should I talk to a shrink? I'm lost in my own head with my own thoughts and I'm all alone.

Last edited by someothertime; 07-21-14 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Guideline compliance
Old 04-22-14, 08:55 AM

daddo1963 is on a distinguished road

Corleych,
I registered just to respond to you. Our son is 17, and after being on Vyvanse for nearly five years, he has become very depressed. He suffers from very bad insomnia, a common side effect of medicines such as Vyvanse. He finally had the courage to ask for help- three weeks ago, he volunteered to enter an in-patient facility where he was diagnosed with depression.

Depression and chronic insomnia are chicken-and-egg... each can cause the other After reading this thread about Vyvanse side effects such as dopamine receptor downregulation, I am starting the think that his long-term use of Vyvanse might be the problem.

My son and I don't have the answers yet. But we're going to switch him from a regular MD to a psychiatrist, because it is rapidly becoming clear that the side-effects of his meds could be a problem.

Last edited by someothertime; 07-21-14 at 01:19 PM..
Closed Thread