ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Websites
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Websites Websites of Contributing Members

Old 03-31-12, 02:44 PM
Jr Member

buzzsaw60 is on a distinguished road
Jobs Sympathetic to ADD

After cycling through a variety of jobs, I was eventually able to develop a professional career. In many respects my chosen profession works well with my ADD but often it is still a real challenge for me to be effective despite a laundry list of meds and ample couch time (of the $150/hr. variety). However, a combination of the economy and ADD has given me more free time that I would prefer.

Killing time has never been our challenge. Or as one person put really well, we don't have an attention deficit. We have plenty of attention. We just can't direct it very effectively.

On family advice, I started a blog. This is the first thing that I have ever done that requires no effort on my part to manage and direct my own attention. I actually almost sense for the first time what it might be like to feel normal.

The sticky "you know you have ADD when..." that made me laugh the most was about how many browser tabs you have open.

The name of my blog is Frivolous Disorder | Bringing It All Together With No Apparent Order and that's about it. I just follow my interests. The blog may or may not make money someday but for now, I don't really care. What is most exciting for me is to sit down and get an unfiltered pleasure out of doing something that is potentially productive.

I though this idea might be of interest to some of you.

Check it out the blog here if curious: http://frivolousdisorder.com/

My sister says that it's hard to get me to talk. You have to say "hello."
Old 04-01-12, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

tdsb12 is on a distinguished road
Re: Jobs Sympathetic to ADD

That rolling bridge is awesome!

What kind of work do you do?

I see a lot of mention of the army being a good fit for people with ADHD. Wonder if there are any soldiers/navy/etc people here?
Old 04-01-12, 02:07 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 6,076 Times in 3,372 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, I have a blog too... but I'm not very good at keeping up w/ it.

Your comment about how many tabs we have open... *looks up at browser*... yeah.... I thought that was normal, lol.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-12, 08:30 PM
Jr Member

buzzsaw60 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the positive feed-back. Blogging is kinda weird because when you post something, it is sort of like attaching a message to a balloon. I'm never sure who will see it or where it lands.

I am an architect and I found that, for me, becoming an architect was not the big challenge. Even as an undergraduate, the student is given a work-space in a studio with all of your other classmates so there is a strong social/peer support component to staying on-task. Another advantage is that there is that the range of challenges is really wide. In other words, from day to day, you have to shift from being an artist, mathematician and engineer, model-maker, computer geek, and academic. This constant change-up never let me get bored with any one aspect of my education.

The really hard part for being an architect is when we get good at our job and in a more stable rhythm. This is when my ADD began to rear it's ugly head. When I was in the education phase, I was always able to leverage our hyper focus or create a study group for "prosthetic attention."

Right now, I don't find it hard to sit and post with regularity. Partly because I just "scratch my itches." Another possible reason that concerns me is because blogging is a lot more fun than the work "I am supposed to be doing." I won't know the answer to that one for another few months.

I'll try update this thread with an honest answer, though.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to check out the blog.

My sister says that it's hard to get me to talk. You have to say "hello."