ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Non-ADD Partner Support
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Non-ADD Partner Support This is a support forum for non-ADD partners, spouses, and significant others offering feedback from both the ADD and non-ADD perspectives

Old 11-01-04, 01:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Free Book to Help Non-ADD Partners

I met a man by the name of Joe Martinez at the CHADD Conference who wrote a book to help Non-ADD Partners. He is currently giving the book away for free. I have copy of the book and from the perspective of an adult with ADD I think it's very good.

He is still giving them away for free. The book is called "Driven by the Moment". Joe can be contacted through his website www.perform-plus.org or by calling 609-529-0560.

I don't know if he will ask for a shipping fee or not.

Last edited by Tara; 11-02-04 at 07:53 PM..
Old 11-01-04, 03:06 PM
Jr Member

SilverMoon is on a distinguished road
I checked out the website, it's listed for $19.50.
Old 11-01-04, 03:18 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Did you contact him and ask about getting the book for free?
Old 11-01-04, 03:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

dixiepeep has disabled reputation
I just requested the book for free. I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks so much for letting me know.
Old 11-01-04, 11:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
umm i'm confused: i just went to the site..the book sounded great
but its subtitle is: "10 moments to understanding her better..for the ADD male"
so...this wouldn't be appropiate to give my non adhd husband would it?
can you give me a clue?
thank you!
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR
Old 11-02-04, 07:14 AM

jbmartinez is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up it works with all males...

the book was written with the ADD/ADHD guy in mind (me!) but can be of benefit to any guy.

it's a "how to" guide for the guy of what to do (and not do) so his partner can "feel" that she is heard, and so that he can understand her.

there are also things that the wife (girlfriend, mate) can do to help the communication get on track.
Old 11-02-04, 08:02 AM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Nothing there for the ADD male who wants to give something to his Mrs, though...
Old 11-02-04, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardclam
Nothing there for the ADD male who wants to give something to his Mrs, though...
Actually that is what this book was written for.
Old 11-02-04, 07:10 PM

Smile

the book was written so that the guy could give his partner the best gift of all - his attention and understanding, and here's the big point...in a way that she could feel it.

the women isn't looking for you to do something for her, she's hoping you can listen to her and validate her feelings.

most guys (and I was one of them) don't have a clue how to do this, especially with ADD/ADHD. well, the book shows you how in several, short easy "moments".

the women that read the book like Moment #4 the best, "shut up and let her talk". it explains how to listen to her, show care and understanding and not interrupt her --- all while not having to give up your manhood. wow!!

and the best part of it is --- it worked for me and the women who read the book wanted copies to give to their husbands and partners. kinda says something right there...
Old 11-02-04, 11:33 PM

liketalk is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwithadd
I met a man by the name of Joe Martinez at the CHADD Conference who wrote a book to help Non-ADD Partners..
Okay, I am getting confused.....It sounds like J Martinez is a man with ADHD, correct? So, how does this book help Non-ADD Partners? From what was described in another post, it sounds like it is for ADHD people to know what the Non-ADD person wants or needs. Is this true?
Old 11-03-04, 07:29 AM

Lightbulb trying to keep it simple...how about this?

yes, j martinez is a man with ADD and has a non-ADD spouse.

the book contains things for both the ADD person to do and the non-ADD person to do.

maybe this might help, the book explains to the ADD (or non-ADD guy) what to do to better connect with his partner and why it works that way.

the book also suggests ways for the non-ADD partner to help her ADD (or most non-ADD) guy to be more successful in communicating and listening to her.

an example might be for the non-ADD wife to "prepare" her ADD husband to listen. how and why? by asking him if he can pay attention for 5 (or whatever) minutes so she can discuss xxxxxx. if he's busy with something else or more likely, something else is on his mind, he should tell you so AND also let you know when a better would be (after the ballgame or in 1 hour).

the book also give the non-ADD wife a set of strategies to help guide the ADD husband to better understanding. presented in a non-threatening manner, most guys really want to do something but don't know what and are tired of trying things that don't work or they don't know will work.

hope this helps! joe
Old 11-03-04, 01:55 PM

addwife2001 has disabled reputation
This books sounds helpful. Maybe I will order it for my hubby and me. Those of you who have ordered it let us know what you think about it. I would love to get the perspective of another non-ADD Partner before I order it.
Old 11-04-04, 07:55 PM

liketalk is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by addwife2001
This books sounds helpful. Maybe I will order it for my hubby and me. Those of you who have ordered it let us know what you think about it. I would love to get the perspective of another non-ADD Partner before I order it.
If you go to the website, ask for a book, all they are charging is $5.00 shipping fee.
Old 11-05-04, 08:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

dixiepeep has disabled reputation
I was asked to pay shipping and I think that is very reasonable considering the book is free. I can hardly wait till I get my copy.