ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 04-06-12, 08:31 AM
Jr Member

nikkiC is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Jax, FL

My 4 year old has just been diagnosed with ADHD by his pediatrician. I'm struggling to find a child pshychologist/counselor in my area, as I'm not happy with the ped's recommendation. Does anyone know someone who can help me? I've searched online, called insurance, and searched these boards.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
Old 04-10-12, 11:39 AM

Thanked 4,272 Times in 2,001 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jax, FL

Hi and welcome. I'm in FL, but at the other end of the state. If you are near a teaching hospital (Shands?) they may be able to give you a recommendation.
We use a developmental pediatrian and are very happy with the care given to our 9 year old son...
The Following User Says Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
nikkiC (11-20-14)
Old 04-10-12, 04:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

anticipate is a jewel in the roughanticipate is a jewel in the roughanticipate is a jewel in the rough

I would check your local children's hospitals websites for 'Behavioral Health' - call them up and ask for help.
The Following User Says Thank You to anticipate For This Useful Post:
nikkiC (11-20-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-12, 07:25 PM

bsbusinessownwe is on a distinguished road

Hi neighbor !

I went to my son ped and ask for a referral, I choose Dr. Desari of UNF. He is a child phsyc. I want something more than meds so we are going to start behavior therapy tomorrow that he referred.My son is also 4 yo. The meds are helping but I want more than that. Also they offer a parenting class that start next week and is free. If you need more info let me know.

Mary from Bartram area.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bsbusinessownwe For This Useful Post:
anticipate (04-11-12), LynneC (04-11-12), nikkiC (09-01-12)
Old 04-11-12, 05:18 PM
Forum Guru

ccom5100 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbusinessownwe View Post
I went to my son ped and ask for a referral, I choose Dr. Desari of UNF. He is a child phsyc. I want something more than meds so we are going to start behavior therapy tomorrow that he referred.My son is also 4 yo. The meds are helping but I want more than that.
Have you tried or considered dietary intervention? My ds was 3 1/2 when we started eliminating petro-chemicals from his diet, after he had been asked to leave 3 daycare facilities. Keeping the additives out of his diet helped manage his symptoms.

Here are some articles you might find interesting:

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/2991.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0522210010.htm
Natural Alternatives are worth investigating. They can and do work for some people. Dietary intervention (especially the elimination of chemical additives such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, and certain preservatives) has been very effective in helping to control adhd symptoms in my child.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccom5100 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (04-13-12), nikkiC (11-20-14)
Old 11-20-14, 09:35 PM
Jr Member

nikkiC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccom5100 View Post
Have you tried or considered dietary intervention? My ds was 3 1/2 when we started eliminating petro-chemicals from his diet, after he had been asked to leave 3 daycare facilities. Keeping the additives out of his diet helped manage his symptoms.

Here are some articles you might find interesting:

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/2991.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0522210010.htm
I didn't see this until now! We have started the Feingold diet, is that what you do? I'm on here again because my son is having issues with the med he's taking. We've had such amazing results with feingold, though! Wish we has done this 5 years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikkiC For This Useful Post:
ccom5100 (11-21-14)