ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 04-09-12, 07:06 AM
Contributor

DanaDane is a jewel in the roughDanaDane is a jewel in the roughDanaDane is a jewel in the rough
ANY experience with ACT therapy?

For the last 6-8 weeks I have been strugeling with a bad case of general anxiety and depression. I have found a psycologist who works with the ACT methode. I have now seen him twice... I still don't know how to use ACT.
I would VERY much like to hear ANY experience with ACT!

Adult female.
ADHD. Diagnosed twice in 2011.
Meds: Strattera.
GAD (depression)
Meds: Venlafaxin, Lyrica.
Old 04-13-12, 11:54 AM

TJM91 is on a distinguished road
Re: ANY experience with ACT therapy?

What is ACT? That is what I would like to know, as I haven't heard of that therapy specifically.

I know that ACT stands for the American College Test for university admissions, which is a test like the SAT exam SAT meaning Scholastic Aptitude/Assessment Test. These are tests high school students HATE these tests. I did at least, and it worsened my test anxiety.

However, explain ACT therapy to me please.
Antidepressants: Viibryd 10mg
Other: Subutex 8mg

Past Meds
Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Klonopin, Ativan, Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, Suboxone.

Mom, do I have ADHD?
No.
Mom, do I have ADHD?
No.
Mom, do I have ADHD?
No.
Mom, do I have ADHD?
Shut up.
Old 04-14-12, 10:22 AM
Contributor

DanaDane is a jewel in the roughDanaDane is a jewel in the roughDanaDane is a jewel in the rough

Acceptance and commitment theraphy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accepta...itment_Therapy

Adult female.
ADHD. Diagnosed twice in 2011.
Meds: Strattera.
GAD (depression)
Meds: Venlafaxin, Lyrica.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-12, 03:11 AM

mikey_83 is on a distinguished road

Hey DaneDane.

My ex girlfriend is in a Masters of Social Work Program and gave me a paper on ACT by Russel Harris when I was going through the worst bout of anxiety of my life.

I can vouch that it works really well as an exercise for me, IE: while your doing it you feel better. And if you can stomach the 'hard work' it is really rewarding.

I also found the most beneficial process of the 6 mentioned below, is Cognitive Defusion. ( For ME)

(First read the Defusion description)
Here is a great example I read from the paper that really helped me put it into practice:

Step 1: Bring to mind an upsetting and recurring self judgment like "I am X" such as " I am stupid" or "I am a loser" ect.... whatever negative dialog you experience. (most helpful if you use the ones that trigger anxiety). The hold that thought in your present for as long as necessary to believe it (perhaps 5-10 seconds) while noticing how it affects you (very important part of the step).

Step 2: Now immediately take that thought "I am X" and insert this phrase in front of it: I am having the thought that notice what happens?

In this step you can notice a distance from the thought. The idea that "thoughts are nothing more or less than transient private events-an ever changing stream of words, sounds and pictures."

Once I learned this i became less of a slave to negative thoughts, as i learned further with this process that words and thoughts are not law in my head, and I began to benefit from the less impacting nature of this perception of negative thoughts.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Where ACT differs from CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is that you DO NOT FIGHT THESE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS. This is the acceptance part of the 6 core process.
This is copied from his paper and his website:

PSYCHOLOGICAL FLEXIBILITY & THE SIX CORE PROCESSES OF ACT

There are six core processes in ACT:
Contacting The Present Moment: means being psychologically present: consciously connecting with whatever is happening right here, right now.

Defusion means learning to step back or detach from unhelpful thoughts and worries and memories: instead of getting caught up in your thoughts, or pushed around by them, or struggling to get rid of them, you learn how to let them come and go - as if they were just cars driving past outside your house. You learn how to step back and watch your thinking, so you can respond effectively - instead of getting tangled up or lost inside your thinking.

Acceptance means opening up and making room for painful feelings and sensations. You learn how to drop the struggle with them, give them some breathing space, and let them be there without getting all caught up in them, or overwhelmed by them; the more you can open up, and give them room to move, the easier it is for your feelings to come and go without draining you or holding you back.

The Observing Self is the part of you that is responsible for awareness and attention. We don't have a word for it in common everyday language - we normally just talk about the "mind'. But there are two parts to the mind: the thinking self - i.e. the part that is always thinking; the part that is responsible for all your thoughts, beliefs, memories, judgments, fantasies etc. And then there's the observing self - the part of your mind that is able to be aware of whatever you are thinking or feeling or doing at any moment. Without it, you couldn't develop those mindfulness skills. And the more you practice those mindfulness skills, the more you'll become aware of this part of your mind, and able to access it when you need it. (The technical term for this, in ACT, is 'self-as-context'.)

Values are what you want your life to be about, deep in your heart. What you want to stand for. What you want to do with your time on this planet. What ultimately matters to you in the big picture. What you would like to be remembered for by the people you love.

Committed action means taking action guided by your values - doing what matters - even if it's difficult or uncomfortable.