ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 04-09-12, 05:00 PM
Jr Member

Lane277 is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse isn't working. Suggestions?

I would like to first start off by saying I'm a 36 year old male. All through school and college, I was an A student, but my memory has always been terrible.

My ability to focus and stay on track didn't get really bad until 5 years ago. I found that reading was impossible and my memory worsened.

I finally did something about it a few weeks ago and visited the ADHD treatment center we have here. The doctor started me out on 20 mg of Vyvanse and the first day of taking it, I was absolutely relieved. I found that I was able to focus like I had never been able to before and my memory was incredible. I found that I didn't have to write down anything like I had previously. In my line of work which is in the IT field, having a good memory is essential. The effects lasted for about 4 to 5 hours.

The next week, nothing. My ADHD symptoms were back in full force. I couldn't focus, my memory was back to being terrible and I couldn't stay on task. The next doctor's appointment, he raised my dosage to 30 mg.

Now when I say this dosage put me in an extremely bad mood all the time, that's actually an understatement. It was horrible.

This week, I'm taking 40 mg with no effects. Focus is still bad, memory is still terrible and I can't stay on track.

The doctor told me that Vyvanse might not be the medication for me and that we might have to move to the Ritalin side of the family.

I just know that I NEED that feeling I had on the first day back. It's so aggravating to have had it and no being able to duplicate it.

I have every faith in my doctor that we will eventually find the right medication/dosage, but in the meantime, do any of you have any suggestions?

Also, I don't drink a lot of caffeine throughout the day, but I am a tobacco user. Will this affect Vyvanse in any way? I'm hoping to quit soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lane277 For This Useful Post:
adderallxl (04-13-12)
Old 04-09-12, 05:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,072 Times in 7,253 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vyvanse isn't working. Suggestions?

How about dexedrine? Same amphetamine, different delivery.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-09-12, 05:53 PM
Jr Member

I will talk to my Doctor about that on my next visit, which is this Friday. I don't know if he wants to switch just yet or try moving me up to 50 mg.

Thank you for your suggestion, it's really appreciated. I will do some research on dexedrine so I can be more informed when I see the Doctor.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-12, 01:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

DegreeHunter is on a distinguished road

As someone who has tried every single adhd med you can think of, my favourite in terms of duration is Vyvanse by far. I do need doses of at least 70mg for it to be effective and with each consecutive day I take it, it becomes slightly less effect so Every 4th or 5th day I end up taking a day off and then the day after the effectiveness and duration both become a lot better and I just repeat the process.
425runner (04-25-12)
Old 04-13-12, 10:43 PM

adderallxl is on a distinguished road

My son was on Adderall er until there was a shortage in feburary,then he switched to vyanese,a week ok,after that everything went downhill,got in trouble all the time,grades went down kicked out of school,finally i called his doctor and he was put back on adderall 2 days ago and it is great having him back to his self again.Some say the two drugs are the same,i say there is alot of difference.He's finishing 5th grade and has FCAT exams next week,i'm glad he is feeling better on the adderall
Old 04-15-12, 10:17 AM
Blitz Attack Moderator

Thanked 2,684 Times in 1,391 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

I hate vyvanse. For me it was a bait and switch. First day I took it, I felt great, happy, had energy ( not euphoria) and was so happy to feel 'normal'

The next 6 days.... high anxiety attacks, severe depression, nausea allllll day long, and back to my old ADD self.

But I can only speak for myself. I hear vyvanse works wonders for some. I just got changed to strattera 3 days ago... so far no side effects. I am confused though.. My boyfriend is ADHD and takes strattera.. he said he felt results within a day or 2. My Psych said i should feel results in 2-3 days, yet I've seen some people on here say that since strattera isn't a stimulant, it takes 2, 4, 8 weeks for results.
Old 04-15-12, 10:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,528 Times in 3,010 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

Vyvanse makes me angry in it's very existance .....why do we have it ? .....because all the other meds for ADD were either past their patents, or about to be ...meaning that the manufactorers of the brand names would no longer be able to charge humungous prices, and the formula could be made by other drug companies......

and they also wanted to make a drug that "abusers" couldn't use by injecting or snorting it .....

They came up with Vyvanse .....it is bonded to some molecules that hold on to the active ingrediant that ONLY releases that active ingrediant when it comes in contact with some of the enzymes in the human stomach .....AND they can, and do charge outrageous amounts of money for it .....

.....and I would bet the farm that when that patent comes near it's expiration ....they'll come out with yet another medication that is bigger and better than that ......

.....I suspect, that most people would do very well on straight dextroamphetemine....either IR or EX ....or Ritalin ......the few who can't take a stimulant, may do well on strattera ......

....dex is a single active ingrediant medication and has been around for about 80 years......there are 2 Neurologists who wrote a book about ADD and according to them , dex is one of the cleanest drugs on the market, when used in theraputic doses, has fewer side effects than aspirin .....

....but those abusers have given it a bad name, ergo, some docs are reluctant to prescribe it......so they will prescribe adderall ( which is dex, but one part of the dex is changed a bit to another type of dex ) and Vyvanse , which is dex with a bunch of other stuff in it .....

....Dex used to be fairly cheap but the drug shortage of the last ....oh been about a year now .....has caused the price to rise by anywhere from 50% to 150% .....

welcome to the world of medication for ADD......

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
Old 04-16-12, 02:16 PM

musiclvr2675 is on a distinguished road

I started on 30mg and just last week went up to 40mg...still nothing. We plan to meet with our doc every month so kinda lucky that you see yours every week or two...
Old 04-16-12, 03:39 PM
Jr Member

The place I got to deals in nothing but ADD/ADHD, so that's probably why I get my weekly visits.

My doctor had me take the weekend off after having the 40 mg dosage do nothing for me. He switched me to Metadate CD 20mg and today was the first day I had taken it. So far, nothing.

Still not being able to focus. Still having memory issues. Still unable to put thoughts into words the way I would like to.

Nothing has come close to the effects that I saw on Vyvanse for the first day.

I haven't been taking medication nearly as long as most of you and I'm already starting to get aggravated with the process. I keep telling myself that it's a journey, but that only goes so far.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear similar stories as mine though.
Old 04-16-12, 08:47 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

I've been taking Vyvanse for two weeks now only because there's no Dexedrine IR available thanks to nationwide shortage and Adderall makes me feel stressed.

I take 20 mg at 5am and another 20 at 9 am, by noon I can't focus on anything and get a terrible headache. I mean really...really bad....nothing helps. I hate this medication and will be going back to Wellbutrin XL and ride it out till I get my Dexedrine back, sometime in June .....
Old 04-16-12, 10:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

Shevey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carley View Post
I hate vyvanse. For me it was a bait and switch. First day I took it, I felt great, happy, had energy ( not euphoria) and was so happy to feel 'normal'
Bait and switch... heh, that's how I feel about Adderall. The first few days I took it were wonderful and I got so many things done. Then it all went down the crapper after that.

Effexor... for when you absolutely, positively have to suffer withdrawal overnight.

Old 04-25-12, 09:43 AM
Fantastic super duper mod

Thanked 1,617 Times in 799 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently on 80 mg of Vyvanse, plus Abilify. I'm guessing your doctor won't continue to increase your Vyvanse dose.

As someone else suggested, dexedrine was an awesome drug for me. However I know a lot of doctors are hesitant to prescribe it. Also, my doc prescribes a second drug for me just because it's not enough just to have the stimulant. Right now it's Abilify, but before it was strattera.
Old 04-25-12, 06:33 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

It stopped working for me after 3 weeks. I'm on 70 mg Vyvanse because Dexedrine IR is currently unavailable. It makes me terribly depressed and I can't get motivated or focused which is depressing in itself...I also get muscle pains and feel weak. I even took an extra 30 mg to see if it'd make it work but no...only got a bad headache and felt like a worthless piece of shi*

I'm gonna give it a break and take Wellbutrin for a few days instead. Hope this works...if not then I'll have to start Adderall IR which is OK...makes my heart rate go up