ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-12, 05:43 PM

Sax_Man is on a distinguished road
Abusing Vyvanse, been awake 56 hours straight as of now...

I am not normally a drug abuser, but I put a huge college project off so starting Monday, I started taking an extra dose of ADHD medicine at night so I wouldn't have to sleep. I haven't tried to lay down and sleep. I literally worked on that project for 2 nights straight whenever I was finally home from college (I take day and night classes, so have pretty full days). (Fortunately as of now I am over 90% done with it).

Anyway here are the details
Monday, I woke up around 7:30, my usual time to get up in the mornings. I took my usual 60 Mg that is my daily dose. Well that night I was worried about being able to get my research project done (due tomorrow at noon, or at least sending our professor an electronic copy, we have to present it soon). So I took another 60 at around 11 pm. Stayed up all night until it was about an hour before my first class of the day, so I went and showered, took another Vyvanse at about 8 am. Well I came home and still concerned about that project last night, I took another 60mg yet again at 11pm or shortly after. This morning, i started to finally feel signs of fatigue, so I took my daily morning dose at around 7:30am. I have a big concert tonight with the Amarillo College jazz band. I was worried that I could end up crashing at that concert from the medicine wearing off and exhaustion catching up to me. So I took a 60 Mg at 4 pm, half an hour ago.
so:

Monday
60Mg 8am
60Mg 11 pm
Tuesday
60Mg 8am
60Mg 11pm
Today
60Mg 7:30am
60Mg 4:00pm

I have been awake for around 56 1/2 hours now. And I don't feel tired at all. But this can't be good. I wouldn't have even taken the pill at 4 if I wasn't worried about passing out or something at my concert tonight. I have ate like 1 or 2 small to average meals each day, which isn't much for me, but a well known side effect of the medicine. I don't think I have felt any of the typical "overdose symptoms." Though strangely enough, even though I don't feel tired, I think i was dozing off a little in one of my classes this morning. The teacher would be talking the, a split second of black and silence, then the teacher would be on a whole different subject. Though I didn't have any problems like that for the rest of the day.

Anyway what can I expect to have to deal with? I don't know when I will be able to attempt sleep. I still have an hour or two of work left on my project, but compared to how many hours I have spent on that this week alone, that is nothing.

I have been strangely more outgoing these past few days I think, I would randomly blurt stuff out in my classes and normally I always keep my mouth shut.
Old 04-13-12, 12:01 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,913 Times in 7,644 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Abusing Vyvanse, been awake 56 hours straight as of now...

I would call your doctor whether it was intended as abuse or accidental abuse.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-19-12, 04:25 PM
Jr Member

aglobke is on a distinguished road

You've built up a nice sleep debt, hopefully you were nearing a weekend.

Honestly, you're going to crash hard, but you'll be fine. Good luck on those 3 days without your medicine though. As a matter of fact, you might actually sleep through 3 days so it may not be a factor.

And people reading this, please don't try this, cause when you crash you ain't getting up, no matter what obligation you had to do, you will be out for a while. Not to mention, it's very unhealthy and can lead to abuse. You think it's a one-time thing, but what about when the next deadline comes around? But the "It worked last time, what harm could it do if i do it one more time?" attitude will either lead you to a coffin, rehab, prison, or a hospital.

Another thing, the more you abuse your prescriptions the less it tends to work when using it properly. You need to cut this behavior out.

I can tell you have just recently started the prescription because of your lack of appetite (for which long-term add medication users appetite eventually returns), and your lack of concern for wasting pills(you'll have to go 1-2 days at the end of the month without vyvanse before you can refill your prescription)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-12, 12:14 AM
Contributor

escott has disabled reputation

I have been there and I would go for a few days and then I would crash out. Probably not the greatest thing in the world to continue. Rest assured you are not the only one who is done this. You now what's right or wrong we all do. Probably the meds will stop working and you'll be so tired you'll pass out for 24 hours. I wouldn't beat myself up over it.
Old 04-25-12, 09:49 PM

care4sober is on a distinguished road

Hi! I hope you're okay now. It is really difficult to suddenly change the dosage of drugs. In any event, I think it is always wise to consult your doctor.
Old 04-25-12, 09:52 PM
Moderately Neato

Thanked 2,650 Times in 1,430 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above poster. I hope you're okay, and I hope you won't try this again.
Old 04-26-12, 02:09 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 6,076 Times in 3,372 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken an extra dose once- and it was because we were on a massive road trip and at the end of 19 hours, I was the only one lucid enough to drive. Of course, that was after a 2nd dose of Ritalin.

I passed OUT that night. I haven't slept that hard in a very very long time.

Don't make a habit out of extra doses tho... it's not only unhealthy, but doing days w/o meds can be a hazard

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook