ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-16-12, 07:06 PM
kahamri kahamri is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: south carolina
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kahamri is on a distinguished road
Adderall Halflife and effective time question

I've read a lot on this forum and googled my heart out. I like knowing exactly what I'm taking and what to expect.

One question I couldnt find the answer to is:
If adderall stays in your system 12 or so hours, why is (ir) only effective for 3 or 4? Also, when ir wears off, why do you feel a little tired if it's in your system, it hasn't even reached it's half life yet?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-12, 08:08 PM
Tylerlee17's Avatar
Tylerlee17 Tylerlee17 is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 530
Thanks: 21
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

The half life of dextroamphetamine is roughly 11 hours and 13 for levoamphetamine. The difference is posed between the doses of XR vs IR. For instance, if your daily dose of XR is 60mg then to have an equal dose of IR you would take 2 30mg Adderall IR tabs spaced a part by roughly 4 hours. Regardless of which you take it will take approx 11 hrs for 1/2 the dose do d-amp and approx 13 hrs for 1/2 of L-amp to be in your system. That's from a chemistry perspective now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-12, 08:13 PM
Tylerlee17's Avatar
Tylerlee17 Tylerlee17 is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 530
Thanks: 21
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

The way xr works is by digesting half the medication instantly and 4 hours later digesting the other half ( each is a 25% levo / 75% dextro ratio ). Half of the beads have a special coating which make them resistant to stomach acid dissolving them thus taking 4-6 hours before the second half of the medications released. Food intake and high or low pH stomach and Urine can affect the medications effective duration and absorption



Oh and even though Adderall is said to last 4-6 hours, it's psychological effects will only last say 2-5 (depends). This is just how it works there's not really a known reason as to why.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 04-16-12, 09:53 PM
kahamri kahamri is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: south carolina
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kahamri is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

What do you mean psychological effects? Is that saying it's working for 4 but you only notice it for 2?

I know how the amp's work, my question was if they are in your system shouldnt they still be effective? Since that's not the case, why are they no longer effective? Does your brain compensate for the increase somehow and negates the effects after 4 hours?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-12, 10:42 PM
Drewbacca's Avatar
Drewbacca Drewbacca is offline
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: États-Unis
Posts: 4,180
Blog Entries: 5
Thanks: 6,689
Thanked 6,164 Times in 2,894 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahamri View Post
What do you mean psychological effects? Is that saying it's working for 4 but you only notice it for 2?

I know how the amp's work, my question was if they are in your system shouldnt they still be effective? Since that's not the case, why are they no longer effective? Does your brain compensate for the increase somehow and negates the effects after 4 hours?
Psychological effects = improved concentration/attention/focus/etc. as opposed to physical effects (dry mouth, dehydration, etc.). In other words, you may feel a physical effect for a longer duration than the mental stimulation. They last about the same for me though.

Effectiveness is maximized at a certain concentration, like a bell curve. The amphetamine is still in your system after the peak of the curve, but the concentration is no longer high enough to continue the desired benefit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-12, 10:50 PM
Tylerlee17's Avatar
Tylerlee17 Tylerlee17 is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 530
Thanks: 21
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
Psychological effects = improved concentration/attention/focus/etc. as opposed to physical effects (dry mouth, dehydration, etc.). In other words, you may feel a physical effect for a longer duration than the mental stimulation. They last about the same for me though.

Effectiveness is maximized at a certain concentration, like a bell curve. The amphetamine is still in your system after the peak of the curve, but the concentration is no longer high enough to continue the desired benefit.

YES! Thank you I'm rusty with my pharmacology. The therapeutic effects will fade first followed by the physical side effects. As to why this happens in pharmacology is currently unknown. The only real thing half life of amphetamines can tell you is how long it would take for you to pass a drug test. That or how long it takes for the dosage of amphetamine to decrease by half.


Just because a substances half life is a certain amount of time doesn't necessarily mean the therapeutic effects of said drug last that long. This occurs frequently in chemistry.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-12, 11:07 PM
anonymouslyadd's Avatar
anonymouslyadd anonymouslyadd is online now
Moderator of all seasons
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: A new place
Posts: 11,896
Blog Entries: 33
Thanks: 13,142
Thanked 12,612 Times in 6,446 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

This thread here talked a little bit about half life.
__________________
Long-term, we must begin to build our internal strengths. It isn't just skills like computer technology. It's the old-fashioned basics of self-reliance, self-motivation, self-reinforcement, self-discipline, self-command.

~Steven Pressfield
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-12, 04:39 PM
kahamri kahamri is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: south carolina
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kahamri is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

That's was a good way to put it. I actually understood it.

I guess what bothers me, but it's not like I can do anything about it, is the physical effects are SO much longer than the actual effectiveness of the drug. I believe I have an issue if i have any caffeine and adderall. So far this week, caffeine free that has proven true.

I can add a booster for the afternoon, but then I'm looking at not being able to sleep. If I drink some caffeinated beverage, same thing happens but only when I'm medicated. I am guessing it's because the drug is still in my system even though the effects wore off long ago.

Drives me kind of nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-17-12, 05:32 PM
Tylerlee17's Avatar
Tylerlee17 Tylerlee17 is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 530
Thanks: 21
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

Caffeine plus adderall will cause more unwanted side effects than either one by theirselves most of the time. If you get a booster and find yourself having insomnia you can try inching the time at which you take the booster slightly closer to your first dose..

First dose - 7am; booster - 4 pm = insomnia; then try first dose 7am; booster - 3:30 or 3pm

Or you can possibly ask the doctor to reduce the dose of the booster. Either way it takes some trial and error to find what suits you best, just be sure to keep the doc in the loop.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-12, 11:12 PM
Massari Massari is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ...
Posts: 561
Thanks: 114
Thanked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahamri View Post
I've read a lot on this forum and googled my heart out. I like knowing exactly what I'm taking and what to expect.

One question I couldnt find the answer to is:
If adderall stays in your system 12 or so hours, why is (ir) only effective for 3 or 4? Also, when ir wears off, why do you feel a little tired if it's in your system, it hasn't even reached it's half life yet?
This thread explains everything:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94567

A futile attempt to make this forum a better place. Enjoy.

Last edited by BR549; 04-18-12 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-18-12, 12:25 PM
kahamri kahamri is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: south carolina
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kahamri is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlee17 View Post
Caffeine plus adderall will cause more unwanted side effects than either one by theirselves most of the time.

That's what I was looking for. Do you know why this is?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-18-12, 02:06 PM
Tylerlee17's Avatar
Tylerlee17 Tylerlee17 is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 530
Thanks: 21
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

Two different stimulants two different but similar effects to the neurochemistry of the brain. Same thing that would make mixing alcohol and Xanax potentially lethal. A lot of people don't think about caffeines effect on the brain because when used by its self the effects are minimally noticeable, truth is caffeine is the most frequently and widely used drug world wide to date. Also caffeine affects adenosine receptors in the brain outside of the standard norepinephrine/dopamine changes attributed to both adderall and caffeine. Those receptors are involved somehow with sleep, one of the largest side effects of mixing them is insomnia - a lot of pharmacist will tell you to avoid caffeine for that reason.

In the end it's up to you, I drink coffee and use caffeine but not on a daily basis, only when I need to get a lot of work done or stay up late
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-19-12, 12:17 PM
Massari Massari is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ...
Posts: 561
Thanks: 114
Thanked 190 Times in 129 Posts
Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlee17 View Post
Two different stimulants two different but similar effects to the neurochemistry of the brain. Same thing that would make mixing alcohol and Xanax potentially lethal. A lot of people don't think about caffeines effect on the brain because when used by its self the effects are minimally noticeable, truth is caffeine is the most frequently and widely used drug world wide to date. Also caffeine affects adenosine receptors in the brain outside of the standard norepinephrine/dopamine changes attributed to both adderall and caffeine. Those receptors are involved somehow with sleep, one of the largest side effects of mixing them is insomnia - a lot of pharmacist will tell you to avoid caffeine for that reason.

In the end it's up to you, I drink coffee and use caffeine but not on a daily basis, only when I need to get a lot of work done or stay up late
Ethanol is not medication, it's an organic solvent. You can't say that caffeine+adderall is lethal because drinking alcohol with xanax is. Drinking alcohol is like drinking diethyl ether or acetone. It's deliberate intoxication with an organic solvent. Nno medicine will ever be compatible with it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Massari For This Useful Post:
Tylerlee17 (04-19-12)
  #14  
Old 04-19-12, 03:52 PM
JR1973 JR1973 is offline
ADDvanced Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 1,207
Thanks: 1
Thanked 284 Times in 204 Posts
JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

Two factors are at play with this problem. Tolerance and steady-state levels. The bell curve graph is spot on to show how the med rises, peaks then falls as time increases. With any medication taken on a regular basis you will eventually reach a point called steady-state. This is where there is a fairly constant and even amount in your body. With daily amphetamine use is takes 3-4 days to reach that level (unless you increase your dosage).

So what you have is that same bell curve then you take a horizontal line through it to indicate the steady state level (you could also use a capital letter "A" to show this as well). So when you take adderall you have the rise and you feel it working up until it peaks. After the peak it will fall. Once it crosses that steady-state level you probably don't feel it working anymore even though it is still there (tolerance). That is why when someone takes Adderall XR it works really well, for a long time and then after several months you notice it only working for 5-6 hours.

This is all my own theory though
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-19-12, 04:46 PM
Tylerlee17's Avatar
Tylerlee17 Tylerlee17 is offline
ADDvanced Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 530
Thanks: 21
Thanked 131 Times in 90 Posts
Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massari View Post
Ethanol is not medication, it's an organic solvent. You can't say that caffeine+adderall is lethal because drinking alcohol with xanax is. Drinking alcohol is like drinking diethyl ether or acetone. It's deliberate intoxication with an organic solvent. Nno medicine will ever be compatible with it.
You misunderstood my point, I am not declaring ethyl alcohol a medication; however, it is a drug. I am not declaring caffeine and adderall lethal either. What i am saying is that alcohol and Xanax in combination will produce more side effects than either one used separately. This also applies to stimulants that have a mechanism of action slightly different from each other (caffeine + adderall). To use one or the other separately will produce less side effects than in combination.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tylerlee17 For This Useful Post:
Massari (04-20-12)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2014 ADD Forums