ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-16-12, 07:06 PM
Jr Member

kahamri is on a distinguished road
Adderall Halflife and effective time question

I've read a lot on this forum and googled my heart out. I like knowing exactly what I'm taking and what to expect.

One question I couldnt find the answer to is:
If adderall stays in your system 12 or so hours, why is (ir) only effective for 3 or 4? Also, when ir wears off, why do you feel a little tired if it's in your system, it hasn't even reached it's half life yet?
Old 04-16-12, 08:08 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall Halflife and effective time question

The half life of dextroamphetamine is roughly 11 hours and 13 for levoamphetamine. The difference is posed between the doses of XR vs IR. For instance, if your daily dose of XR is 60mg then to have an equal dose of IR you would take 2 30mg Adderall IR tabs spaced a part by roughly 4 hours. Regardless of which you take it will take approx 11 hrs for 1/2 the dose do d-amp and approx 13 hrs for 1/2 of L-amp to be in your system. That's from a chemistry perspective now.
Old 04-16-12, 08:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

The way xr works is by digesting half the medication instantly and 4 hours later digesting the other half ( each is a 25% levo / 75% dextro ratio ). Half of the beads have a special coating which make them resistant to stomach acid dissolving them thus taking 4-6 hours before the second half of the medications released. Food intake and high or low pH stomach and Urine can affect the medications effective duration and absorption

Oh and even though Adderall is said to last 4-6 hours, it's psychological effects will only last say 2-5 (depends). This is just how it works there's not really a known reason as to why.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-12, 09:53 PM
Jr Member

What do you mean psychological effects? Is that saying it's working for 4 but you only notice it for 2?

I know how the amp's work, my question was if they are in your system shouldnt they still be effective? Since that's not the case, why are they no longer effective? Does your brain compensate for the increase somehow and negates the effects after 4 hours?
Old 04-16-12, 10:42 PM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,164 Times in 2,894 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahamri View Post
What do you mean psychological effects? Is that saying it's working for 4 but you only notice it for 2?

I know how the amp's work, my question was if they are in your system shouldnt they still be effective? Since that's not the case, why are they no longer effective? Does your brain compensate for the increase somehow and negates the effects after 4 hours?
Psychological effects = improved concentration/attention/focus/etc. as opposed to physical effects (dry mouth, dehydration, etc.). In other words, you may feel a physical effect for a longer duration than the mental stimulation. They last about the same for me though.

Effectiveness is maximized at a certain concentration, like a bell curve. The amphetamine is still in your system after the peak of the curve, but the concentration is no longer high enough to continue the desired benefit.
Old 04-16-12, 10:50 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
Psychological effects = improved concentration/attention/focus/etc. as opposed to physical effects (dry mouth, dehydration, etc.). In other words, you may feel a physical effect for a longer duration than the mental stimulation. They last about the same for me though.

Effectiveness is maximized at a certain concentration, like a bell curve. The amphetamine is still in your system after the peak of the curve, but the concentration is no longer high enough to continue the desired benefit.

YES! Thank you I'm rusty with my pharmacology. The therapeutic effects will fade first followed by the physical side effects. As to why this happens in pharmacology is currently unknown. The only real thing half life of amphetamines can tell you is how long it would take for you to pass a drug test. That or how long it takes for the dosage of amphetamine to decrease by half.

Just because a substances half life is a certain amount of time doesn't necessarily mean the therapeutic effects of said drug last that long. This occurs frequently in chemistry.
Old 04-16-12, 11:07 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 12,612 Times in 6,446 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

This thread here talked a little bit about half life.
Long-term, we must begin to build our internal strengths. It isn't just skills like computer technology. It's the old-fashioned basics of self-reliance, self-motivation, self-reinforcement, self-discipline, self-command.

~Steven Pressfield
Old 04-17-12, 04:39 PM
Jr Member

That's was a good way to put it. I actually understood it.

I guess what bothers me, but it's not like I can do anything about it, is the physical effects are SO much longer than the actual effectiveness of the drug. I believe I have an issue if i have any caffeine and adderall. So far this week, caffeine free that has proven true.

I can add a booster for the afternoon, but then I'm looking at not being able to sleep. If I drink some caffeinated beverage, same thing happens but only when I'm medicated. I am guessing it's because the drug is still in my system even though the effects wore off long ago.

Drives me kind of nuts.
Old 04-17-12, 05:32 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caffeine plus adderall will cause more unwanted side effects than either one by theirselves most of the time. If you get a booster and find yourself having insomnia you can try inching the time at which you take the booster slightly closer to your first dose..

First dose - 7am; booster - 4 pm = insomnia; then try first dose 7am; booster - 3:30 or 3pm

Or you can possibly ask the doctor to reduce the dose of the booster. Either way it takes some trial and error to find what suits you best, just be sure to keep the doc in the loop.
Old 04-17-12, 11:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahamri View Post
I've read a lot on this forum and googled my heart out. I like knowing exactly what I'm taking and what to expect.

One question I couldnt find the answer to is:
If adderall stays in your system 12 or so hours, why is (ir) only effective for 3 or 4? Also, when ir wears off, why do you feel a little tired if it's in your system, it hasn't even reached it's half life yet?
This thread explains everything:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94567

A futile attempt to make this forum a better place. Enjoy.

Last edited by BR549; 04-18-12 at 12:26 AM..
Old 04-18-12, 12:25 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlee17 View Post
Caffeine plus adderall will cause more unwanted side effects than either one by theirselves most of the time.

That's what I was looking for. Do you know why this is?
Old 04-18-12, 02:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Two different stimulants two different but similar effects to the neurochemistry of the brain. Same thing that would make mixing alcohol and Xanax potentially lethal. A lot of people don't think about caffeines effect on the brain because when used by its self the effects are minimally noticeable, truth is caffeine is the most frequently and widely used drug world wide to date. Also caffeine affects adenosine receptors in the brain outside of the standard norepinephrine/dopamine changes attributed to both adderall and caffeine. Those receptors are involved somehow with sleep, one of the largest side effects of mixing them is insomnia - a lot of pharmacist will tell you to avoid caffeine for that reason.

In the end it's up to you, I drink coffee and use caffeine but not on a daily basis, only when I need to get a lot of work done or stay up late
Old 04-19-12, 12:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlee17 View Post
Two different stimulants two different but similar effects to the neurochemistry of the brain. Same thing that would make mixing alcohol and Xanax potentially lethal. A lot of people don't think about caffeines effect on the brain because when used by its self the effects are minimally noticeable, truth is caffeine is the most frequently and widely used drug world wide to date. Also caffeine affects adenosine receptors in the brain outside of the standard norepinephrine/dopamine changes attributed to both adderall and caffeine. Those receptors are involved somehow with sleep, one of the largest side effects of mixing them is insomnia - a lot of pharmacist will tell you to avoid caffeine for that reason.

In the end it's up to you, I drink coffee and use caffeine but not on a daily basis, only when I need to get a lot of work done or stay up late
Ethanol is not medication, it's an organic solvent. You can't say that caffeine+adderall is lethal because drinking alcohol with xanax is. Drinking alcohol is like drinking diethyl ether or acetone. It's deliberate intoxication with an organic solvent. Nno medicine will ever be compatible with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Massari For This Useful Post:
Tylerlee17 (04-19-12)
Old 04-19-12, 03:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Two factors are at play with this problem. Tolerance and steady-state levels. The bell curve graph is spot on to show how the med rises, peaks then falls as time increases. With any medication taken on a regular basis you will eventually reach a point called steady-state. This is where there is a fairly constant and even amount in your body. With daily amphetamine use is takes 3-4 days to reach that level (unless you increase your dosage).

So what you have is that same bell curve then you take a horizontal line through it to indicate the steady state level (you could also use a capital letter "A" to show this as well). So when you take adderall you have the rise and you feel it working up until it peaks. After the peak it will fall. Once it crosses that steady-state level you probably don't feel it working anymore even though it is still there (tolerance). That is why when someone takes Adderall XR it works really well, for a long time and then after several months you notice it only working for 5-6 hours.

This is all my own theory though
Old 04-19-12, 04:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massari View Post
Ethanol is not medication, it's an organic solvent. You can't say that caffeine+adderall is lethal because drinking alcohol with xanax is. Drinking alcohol is like drinking diethyl ether or acetone. It's deliberate intoxication with an organic solvent. Nno medicine will ever be compatible with it.
You misunderstood my point, I am not declaring ethyl alcohol a medication; however, it is a drug. I am not declaring caffeine and adderall lethal either. What i am saying is that alcohol and Xanax in combination will produce more side effects than either one used separately. This also applies to stimulants that have a mechanism of action slightly different from each other (caffeine + adderall). To use one or the other separately will produce less side effects than in combination.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tylerlee17 For This Useful Post:
Massari (04-20-12)