ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-12, 07:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough
2nd degree sprained ankle

2 weeks ago I sprained my right ankle went to some physical therapy and doc said I was good to go back to work. I made it 1 1/2 hrs into my first workday back before I had to go home with my ankle swollen to the size of a softball and in pain... I've had people tell me I'd have been Better off if it had been fractured and I'm starting to believe it. Anyone else sprained something really bad?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tylerlee17 For This Useful Post:
Vector (04-17-12)
Old 04-16-12, 07:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,921 Times in 2,058 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2nd degree sprained ankle

kind of similar i tore a tendon that connects collar bone and shoulder blade...ver very painful...worse than when i broke my collar bone...it was as a result of fooling around so i only have myself to blame get well soon
'ďI have this strange feeling that I'm not myself anymore. It's hard to put into words, but I guess it's like I was fast asleep, and someone came, disassembled me, and hurriedly put me back together again. That sort of feeling.Ē - Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart

Go Raiders !!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
Tylerlee17 (04-17-12), Vector (04-17-12)
Old 04-17-12, 12:02 AM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,334 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

I had achilles tendinitis in both and it was HORRIBLE. Long recovery.

As soon as I recovered from that I sprained my ankle and then the other one went. I had to really limit walking, keep them wrapped and with braces on both.

It sucks. The recovery is long and there is a high chance of you spraining them again.

Keep icing it, wrapping it, etc. Do the exercises or physical therapy they want you to do!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
Tylerlee17 (04-17-12), Vector (04-17-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-12, 09:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

Vector is a jewel in the roughVector is a jewel in the roughVector is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlee17 View Post
2 weeks ago I sprained my right ankle went to some physical therapy and doc said I was good to go back to work. I made it 1 1/2 hrs into my first workday back before I had to go home with my ankle swollen to the size of a softball and in pain... I've had people tell me I'd have been Better off if it had been fractured and I'm starting to believe it. Anyone else sprained something really bad?

Have you used good bandages or other form of ankle support while working, Tyler?

Quote:
Sprained Ankle Healing

Ankle sprains are the most common condition in the medical field today. This condition will affect more than 25,000 Americans alone this year, thousands more world-wide.
A badly sprained ankle can put you out of commission for up to a few weeks, and make the easiest day-to-day tasks seem like a struggle. Not to mention itís usually very painful.
Learning the right techniques and strategies on how to heal your ankle sprain properly is the best way to lessen this pain, as well as your down time.
First of all you need to provide your sprained ankle with plenty of rest. You need to elevate your ankle as soon as the sprain occurs. This will help reduce swelling. The elevation should be higher than your heart. This way as your resting your ankle the swelling will go down and not throb with pain.
In more severe sprains you should strongly consider using crutches. The crutches will help you prevent from putting any undue pressure on that ankle during its healing process.
Apply ice right away; do not wait till the swelling gets too bad. This is important because ice will reduce the swelling in your sprained ankle and when you keep the swelling down you will have less pain.
Most doctors suggest that you apply ice for half hour intervals with an hour break in between. This will prevent burning of the skin. Do not apply heat till the swelling is gone. Heat can cause worse problems if you apply it too early on in the healing process.
Next apply an Ace wrap to your ankle. Ace bandages are great as they help your ankle stay mobile without twisting. Start at the base of your foot and work your way up. It should be wrapped around the ankle at least three to four times.
Make sure you do not wrap it too tight as you can damage your circulation. They best way to know if you have it too tight is if your ankle begins to throb more than usual. You should keep the Ace bandage on at least a week.
Most doctors though suggest two weeks to allow for ample time to heal.
Also, you should take Ibuprofen every four to six hours. Ibuprofen helps reduce your swelling as well as the pain. Doctors will tell you that you can alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen every two hours for extreme pain.
If your doctor prescribes a pain medication, you need to be sure to take it as prescribed. If you do this, you will notice a moderate change in your pain.
Once you have followed the above steps for at least two weeks you can begin light weight bearing. You need to do this in moderation so that you do not injure your ankle again. Make sure you wear shoes that support your ankles when first starting out.
This will help alleviate the chance of twisting the ankle again. You can also start low level exercise to build the ligaments in the ankle.
A sprained ankle can be an annoyance as well as painful. Knowing how to heal your sprained ankle properly will aide in the downtime and pain.
SOURCE:
http://www.sprainedankle.me/sprained...ealing#more-31
The Following User Says Thank You to Vector For This Useful Post:
Tylerlee17 (04-17-12)
Old 04-17-12, 10:31 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Yeah I have a brace. When I'm at work I'm constantly bending my ankles and shifting my weight (never noticed before this happened). Guess I'll just have to be ready for the next sprain lol, thanks for the replies.
Old 04-17-12, 05:11 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 5,996 Times in 3,332 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I've had problems w/ my ankle since I was about 10 years old... after numerous sprains, I had to have surgery to shorten a tendon that had stretched out and was no longer working at ALL due to so many sprains- so I feel your pain- literally.

If your ankle is still hurting, I'd stay off it for a few days past what you feel like you need too... otherwise, it won't heal.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 04-17-12, 05:25 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Dr said today he wants me to basically use it as much as possible and push through the pain >_<
Old 04-17-12, 05:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,187 Times in 6,238 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, hope it heals soon soon.
Old 04-17-12, 11:41 PM

CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Dr said today he wants me to basically use it as much as possible and push through the pain >_<
That's the worst advice I've ever heard.

For real.
The Following User Says Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
silivrentoliel (04-18-12)
Old 04-17-12, 11:59 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

From what I've read thos who sit around for weeks and weeks are more likely to re-sprain and will take longer to heal... Those who get over it faster are those who constantly stay in motion.
Old 04-18-12, 12:48 AM

Quote:
From what I've read thos who sit around for weeks and weeks are more likely to re-sprain and will take longer to heal... Those who get over it faster are those who constantly stay in motion.
How long ago did you sprain it? oh 2 weeks?

I'd REALLY take it easy. Don't go all gung ho. Do your strengthening exercises, keep icing it. Don't go all crazy.
Old 04-18-12, 10:33 AM
moderator of all species

Thanked 5,996 Times in 3,332 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a way to exercise your ankle (think: physical therapy tools), that wouldn't be awful, but don't push yourself. Pain is there to tell you something is wrong. I don't think pushing thru pain is smart.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook