ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did you wet to bed past the age of 5
Yes 60 60.61%
No 39 39.39%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-04, 07:30 PM
Jr Member

pyrotaz is on a distinguished road
Is bedwetting a symptom of Attention Deficit Disorder?

After being diagnosed I did some research and found that bedwetting past the age of 5 could be a sign of ADD.
Old 11-08-04, 01:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
Like I want to post this publicly? heh Ya I was a late on for waterworks control.
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 11-21-04, 04:11 PM
Jr Member

pyrotaz is on a distinguished road
More people please respond

I was hoping more people would do the Poll!! Please do!!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-04, 04:46 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
This is the kind of thread that makes me ponder the imbalance of members to guests online at any given time. Last night I noticed there were 17 members logged on and 127 guests viewing. Things that make me go... hmmmmm
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 11-21-04, 05:49 PM

AbnormalJeremy is an unknown quantity at this point
lol I'm the opposite, I havent wetted my bed since I started wearing regular underwear
Old 11-24-04, 10:51 PM
Contributor

gingagirl will become famous soon enough
There was a similiar bedwetting thread & poll in the parenting forum...
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6603

"They call me lazy, but it takes all my time..." -- Joe Walsh
"The absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence." -- unknown
Old 06-07-06, 11:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

adhdgirl has disabled reputation
Just thought I would revive the poll since there are quite a few threads about it. I was 12. Or was it 13? Anyway, past five
Old 06-08-06, 04:34 PM

Hudson85255 is on a distinguished road
adhd enuresis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotaz
After being diagnosed I did some research and found that bedwetting past the age of 5 could be a sign of ADD.
-
My ADHD assessor said it was one of the determining factors. i did some reading as well, looking up on the internet "ADHD and enuresis." I can't find the article, of course, but there was some medical study that was quite firm in stating a preponderance of ADD/ADHD adults had been bed-wetters; it needs to be from age 6 or so onwards.
When I objected that i had thought it was just to get attention (as I was ina large family) from my mother, the doctor said, "Nope." I laughed. No one else in my family did it. And a colleague where I work and who definitely thinks she has ADHD admitted when I asked her that she had had the same, and had had to wear some protective clothing etc.
It has to do with being so darned exhausted that once asleep the kidney's signals to wake up and urinate aren't enough.
Another friend told me that when she and her school took a bunch of kids on a camping trip, one kid who was ADHD had to be awakened at regular intervals because he needed to be prompted to go urinate - otherwise he would wet the bed repeatedly.
I'm sold on it.
Hudson
Old 06-08-06, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

mejasha has disabled reputation
It maybe in some cases because ADDers have such great imaginations. When I wet the bed it was because I had a very real dream of getting up and going to the rest room. That may sound crazy but it is true. I still to this day, if I have to go at night, will dream of getting up to go to the rest room. But instead of going to the bathroom, in the dream, I cannot find it, and I wander around lost looking for one. Even if I do find one in my dream, there is something wrong with it or it is weird to alert me to the fact that is a dream.
What is really weird is that one of my nightmare bathrooms was this really long hall-like bathroom with tons of toilets back to back in a line real close together with no partition in between. Of course, no female wants to go in a bathroom like that. Imagine my suprise when I actually saw and had to use a bathroom like that when I was in the military. FUN HUH! I just couldn't believe that it was real when I had dreamed about it before.
Thanks for reading!

The future can be bright
when we remove the blindfolds!!
Old 06-08-06, 07:17 PM
Contributor

boardtabitz has disabled reputation
Not to be a real downer but more to put it in perspective with the rest of the world.

It is also a common trait with sociopaths, psychopaths and serial killers.
They often have three things in common. Bedwetting as a child, cruelity and torturing animals, and I think the other one is fire starting.

The books list bedwetting as being common with adhd but there are always exceptions and I wonder what it is that makes the difference.
Old 06-08-06, 11:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

lbawd is on a distinguished road
I also had the extremely real dreams much longer than I care to admit!!! Fortunately none of my kids have this trait!! My poor nephew is 14 and in my opinion undiagnosed ADHD and is going on a field trip to New York next week. My mother is going with my sister so he doesn't have to share a room with the other kids. Poor kid!! I mentioned to my mother that bed wetting is common in kids with ADHD but she and my sister discounted the information and said it could be cured by limiting his drinking. Hmm that should have worked by now!! I have seen such success with my kids it makes me sad to see him have to struggle!! Does anyone know the name of the medicine that has been used to help this I think it was some type of spray.
Old 06-08-06, 11:50 PM
Contributor

ladym has disabled reputation
I answered no for myself, but I also have a yes that I would put in there if I could. While I did not, my son does. He is 9, and is still wetting the bed.

Diagnosed @ 30yrs - AD/HD Combined Type
Old 06-09-06, 12:07 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladym
I answered no for myself, but I also have a yes that I would put in there if I could. While I did not, my son does. He is 9, and is still wetting the bed.
Same here. No for me, but I could have answered yes for my 10 year old who has been dry since beginning Concerta recently.
Old 06-09-06, 12:59 AM

*~ žEEK ~* has a spectacular aura about*~ žEEK ~* has a spectacular aura about
14 here, and I never slept better in my life than when I wet the bed too! LOL
I wish I could sleep that well now that I'm an adult!
However, I don't think my partner would tolerate a little wetness in the bed, just so I could sleep better as an adult! LOL

As far as the association mentioned with serial killers and bedwetting! I also read the same thing, but I also read that serial killers will often have a preoccupation with facts about serial killing! LOL So ya better watch yourself there! LOL

Often people who are depressed will ruminate about morbid topics such as serial killing! However, most depressed people don't become serial killers!
I guess my intended point is that, if all the children that wet the bed became serial killers, there wouldn't be single soul left on the planet! LOL And generally speaking, just about any type of emotional issue found in a child can cause them to have a bedwetting problem!

Peace,
*~ žEEK ~*
Old 06-09-06, 08:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

adhdgirl has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbawd
Does anyone know the name of the medicine that has been used to help this I think it was some type of spray.
If you will look over at the "bedwetting as a child/teen thread" I believe someone mentioned it there. If not, any doctor should know when you ask them for it.

BTW, I had those dreams too and still do occasionally.