ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-24-12, 12:44 PM

kali_shey is on a distinguished road
Adderall and stomach acid...

I read elsewhere that stomach acid can interfere with the absorption (or rate of absorption) of Adderall. I would love to know more info on this and any personal experiences people have had. I have a very acidic stomach, but I don't take anything for it anymore. I stopped taking Zantac and month or so ago. I've also seen it suggested that people take a TUMS before taking their Adderall if they have an acidic stomach.

Any helpful advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-12, 06:26 PM

caughtinabadone is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and stomach acid...

I suggest you make a quick search, tons of pages of threads chockfull of answers
Old 04-24-12, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, I caught the cancer early, I will kill it before you find any other misinformation haha ^_^

What you heard is wrong. If you eat 3 meals a day that's not mexican food rinsed in alcohol and vinegar, you're 100% fine and you don't need to do anything.

The only time your stomach acid will lower amphetamine absorption to the point where you can notice the change is when you:

1) don't eat anything all day.
2) when you consume orange juice or coca cola in amounts exceeding 350mL.

1) We have all been in the first case, sometimes there's nothing around to eat. In that case amphetamine absorption is the least of your worries because you can damage your stomach. To prevent stomach damage and restore normal amphetamine absorption levels, a proton pump inhibitor should be used, like famotidine HCl or ranitidine HCl. Nexium is too strong. You should not use any other antacid in combination with amphetamines other than a PI, and only when you have nothing laying around to eat.

2) This one is easy. Coke or orange juice...it's just 2 things, don't have them, period. ^_^

Now here comes the misuse section:

- refusing to eat acidic meals or re-structuring one's diet to avoid acidic intake is amphetamine potentiation and misuse. You are not cheating anyone but yourself. This is not how it's done.

- taking high pH substances like sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, buffer solutions, Thums and other bases is misuse

- taking PI medication with food and amphetamines is misuse.

- planning on taking medicine on empty stomach or delaying meals in order to better fit the medication schedule is misuse.

cheers,

Dan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Massari For This Useful Post:
jiffyPOP (04-25-12), kali_shey (04-25-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-12, 04:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

Dubwise is on a distinguished road

Now hold on a second. I am a GERD sufferer, I can not maintain a normal diet with out suffering excruciating pain in my stomach, throat and chest. I need a daily PPI to even be able to eat normally with out pain. You make it sound as if i am misusing my adderall despite my doctor prescribing me 40mg omeprazole, 10mg IR x2 a day and taking these with a high PH diet of mostly alkaline foods. I eat only lean chicken and fish, do not consume any onions, garlic or tomatoes. And on days I do not take my adderall I do munch tums. Does this mean I am misusing my medication, no it does not. I am still taking them as prescribed in a manner that both lessens my GERD symptoms and assists with my ADHD symptoms.

For me cutting out the Adderall is not really a viable option as my life is a mess with out it and cutting out the OMEP is not an option because the damage to my esophagus with out it is getting painful and isn't healthy. And obviously i am not going to cut out food while taking OMEP and adderall because the body needs fuel.

I feel the best thing you can do while taking your medication is to just eat as you normally would, taking the medications you are directed too by your doctor taking care to stay well informed of possible interactions and speak to your doctor about any you experience. The worst thing you can do is start to obsess on and over analyze the things you are eating and taking in an effort to get the most out of your adderall. If it is not working sufficiently speak to your doctor about an increase in dose or possibly a different medication. But by all means you should try to avoid altering your behaviors and diet to get more than should be expected from your medication.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dubwise For This Useful Post:
ADDarren (04-25-12), Drewbacca (04-25-12), kali_shey (04-25-12), silivrentoliel (04-25-12)
Old 04-25-12, 05:59 AM

Thanks, everyone. I do have a difficult time eating on Adderall, and sometimes have gone all day without eating anything (I do drink fluids, not orange juice or Coke, though) so perhaps that is an issue for me. I will try to remember to keep a better eye on my food intake and make sure I am getting adequate amounts. I don't drink alcohol (never have) so no worries there.

I am wondering why taking a TUMS is misuse - does that make your body absorb more of the meds or something? I have heard vitamin C causes the meds not to absorb well, so I have avoided that whenever I am about to take my pill...
Old 04-25-12, 10:24 AM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,178 Times in 2,899 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massari View Post
The only time your stomach acid will lower amphetamine absorption to the point where you can notice the change is when you:

1) don't eat anything all day.
2) when you consume orange juice or coca cola in amounts exceeding 350mL.

1) ...
2) This one is easy. Coke or orange juice...it's just 2 things, don't have them, period. ^_^

Now here comes the misuse section:

- taking high pH substances like sodium bicarbonate, calcium carbonate, buffer solutions, Thums and other bases is misuse

- taking PI medication with food and amphetamines is misuse.
1) Taking Tums to counter the Coke and/or OJ is a perfectly normal behavior. *Misuse* absolutely MUST imply that the person is taking the basic substances with the intent of effectively increasing the dosage of amphetamine as opposed to taking the basic substances for the very reason that they are on the market in the first place.

2) Taking a medication that I am and have been prescribed, long before I even knew about ADHD is misuse?

Pull your head out of the clouds and keep your opinions to yourself. You are essentially advising people to not listen to their doctors based on your own personal understanding of what constitutes "misuse."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali_shey View Post

I am wondering why taking a TUMS is misuse - does that make your body absorb more of the meds or something? I have heard vitamin C causes the meds not to absorb well, so I have avoided that whenever I am about to take my pill...
"Misuse" is dependent on intent. There is nothing wrong with taking TUMS for what it is intended for (reducing stomach acidity) but it is wrong to intentionally increase the effective Adderall dosage by taking such a medication. Of course, anyone who is legitimately prescribed Adderall would have no reason to "abuse" it by taking Tums.

I don't think that vitamin C has anything to do with it, unless the vitamin C is what is responsible for the increased acidity from citric juices? It's the acidity that is the problem, not the vitamin... unless the vitamin is acting as some sort of acid inducing enzyme?

*disclaimer* Don't ever take MEDICAL advise from forum posters, always consult with your doctor!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
kali_shey (04-25-12), sarahsweets (04-25-12)
Old 04-25-12, 11:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

ADDarren has a spectacular aura aboutADDarren has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't consider taking tums "misuse"

I also have GERD, and take omeprazole daily. (I will wake up with a sore throat choking on acid in the mornings.)

The adderall will absorb faster, but it also burns out quicker. Even XR would run out after 6 hours for me. The need to dose multiple times daily is very common. I ended up switching to vyvance, it's suppose to be more compatible with PPI's and I never forget to take it. I still take an adderall booster if needed in the evening. Personally, I like the consistancy of the vyvance with the PPI, but your milage may vary.......

Regards,
Old 04-25-12, 12:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubwise View Post
Now hold on a second. I am a GERD
Exception
The Following User Says Thank You to Massari For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (04-25-12)
Old 04-25-12, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDarren View Post
I wouldn't consider taking tums "misuse"

The adderall will absorb faster, but it also burns out quicker.
Regards,
^ That is definitely what I don't want (it burning out faster). I barely get the full 4 hours as it is, so I suppose I will avoid the TUMS and just try to keep a better eating schedule so the acid does not increase.

Thanks so much, to both yourself and Drewbacca for the info.
Old 04-25-12, 12:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
1) Taking Tums to counter the Coke and/or OJ is a perfectly normal behavior. *Misuse* absolutely MUST imply that the person is taking the basic substances with the intent of effectively increasing the dosage of amphetamine as opposed to taking the basic substances for the very reason that they are on the market in the first place.

2) Taking a medication that I am and have been prescribed, long before I even knew about ADHD is misuse?

Pull your head out of the clouds and keep your opinions to yourself. You are essentially advising people to not listen to their doctors based on your own personal understanding of what constitutes "misuse."

"Misuse" is dependent on intent. There is nothing wrong with taking TUMS for what it is intended for (reducing stomach acidity) but it is wrong to intentionally increase the effective Adderall dosage by taking such a medication. Of course, anyone who is legitimately prescribed Adderall would have no reason to "abuse" it by taking Tums.

I don't think that vitamin C has anything to do with it, unless the vitamin C is what is responsible for the increased acidity from citric juices? It's the acidity that is the problem, not the vitamin... unless the vitamin is acting as some sort of acid inducing enzyme?

*disclaimer* Don't ever take MEDICAL advise from forum posters, always consult with your doctor!!!
If we take a look at my advice, I say not to take an antacid with Adderall. You say it's ok to take an antacid with Adderall to "counter" your acidity. I don't know whos advice is right or wrong but the fact remains that antacids have a level 2 incompatibility with Adderall.

Thums increases pH way too fast. PI allows control of pH by blocking production of useless excessive acid. Why do you think the pharmaceutical companies would spend billions to make such drugs if people would just take thums? Because thums had MAJOR issues. My previous post never mentioned anything about GERD or doctor prescribed Thums for abnormal acidity cases. It's for people with perfectly healthy stomach who wonder if they should take something additional.
The Following User Says Thank You to Massari For This Useful Post:
kali_shey (04-25-12)
Old 04-25-12, 01:08 PM
Contributor

escott has disabled reputation

I have heard that it helps the absorption of Adderall taking Zantac or tums. I have taken Zantac with Adderall before not knowing the absorption rate could increase. I never felt a big jolt or anything not that im sopposed to. I would think it cant make a huge difference maybe a few percentage points but nothing making a great difference. I guess the question is then how could we find out the percentages. There has to be some research I will look today.
The Following User Says Thank You to escott For This Useful Post:
kali_shey (04-25-12)
Old 04-25-12, 06:17 PM

Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massari View Post
Why do you think the pharmaceutical companies would spend billions to make such drugs if people would just take thums? Because thums had MAJOR issues. My previous post never mentioned anything about GERD or doctor prescribed Thums for abnormal acidity cases. It's for people with perfectly healthy stomach who wonder if they should take something additional.
Point taken, regarding GERD. I stand down.

However, to answer the part about spending billions: GERD is one thing and PPI are a sensible solution for it and most likely why they were designed. Indigestion/acid-reflux on the other hand, while related to GERD, are an independent symptom caused by diet. I'll be the first to admit that the best way to reduce acid-reflux is to cut out the things that cause it (which I have). Still, it's not misuse to use Tums for acid-reflux. GERD is chronic while acid-reflux is periodic/random. PPIs exist because no one wants to be taking tums three times a day with every meal for the rest of their lives. Besides, GERD is more than just a high level of acid; in some cases it is over production of acid which is a big difference from supplemental acid in the form of OJ or whatever. In my case, GERD is more an issue of a misshapen esophagus; I don't think I produce too much acid but rather I have issues from it creeping back up on me (bad breath, post nasal drip, belching). Cutting back on my OJ consumption and not eating within a few hours before bed has helped a good amount. I'm trying to determine if I can get by without the prilosec but I don't know for certain yet.

One other thing, it isn't your place to decide what is and what isn't abuse. That is, your opinion, and nothing more. Would you honestly consider it abuse if a patient takes Tums specifically to increase amphetamine absorption under the direction of a doctor? It's the doctor's discretion and everyone has their own needs, genetic characteristics, enzyme effectiveness and drug metabolism, and other interactions and possibly other chronic conditions... you are, to be blunt, not in a position to judge such a broad category (although, I'll admit that you might have a point on a case by case basis). I'll also grant that you have justification, if not responsibility to claim that it is misuse as we clearly don't want to promote abuse based on what someone read on an internet forum. I just think your context got lost by making a broad and sweeping statement?

Last edited by Drewbacca; 04-25-12 at 06:27 PM..
Old 04-25-12, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
Yeah, I was wrong on this note. OJ consists of two acids: citric acid and ascorbic acid (aka vitamin C). In my limited biology knowledge, I completely failed to realize that a vitamin was an acid! :P
But, hey, now I know. Let the education continue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12), namazu (04-25-12)