ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-24-12, 06:11 PM
Forum Guru

Traveler5 will become famous soon enough
Just took my first Adderall 20mg Tab 30 minutes ago. What to expect now?

I have never been on a ADHD med before now.

I had an appt. with my family doctor this afternoon. Took a few assessment tests, we discussed it, and he was fairly confident I had symptoms associated with ADHD. He prescribed Adderall 20mg 1 per day.

My question is, now what? What can I expect in terms of side effects and what will be some of the first things I notice as the drug takes affect to address my ADHD?

Thanks!

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Traveler5 For This Useful Post:
escott (04-26-12)
Old 04-24-12, 07:01 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just took my first Adderall 20mg Tab 30 minutes ago. What to expect now?

A fairly good summation

-- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
Dubwise (04-25-12)
Old 04-24-12, 07:22 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retromancer View Post
A fairly good summation

I really hope that doesn't happen.

Going on two hours now since I took the first tab and I feel a little light-headed and, I have to admit, a little "high".

We'll see how it goes from here.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-12, 07:46 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 7,756 Times in 3,438 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

20mg may be a bit high for a starting dose if you've never taken ADHD meds before -- may be something to ask your doctor. (That's if it's a short-acting pill -- on second thought, maybe the doc prescribed XR/extended release? that might make more sense...)

The meds shouldn't make you feel "high" -- though some people do get a bit of euphoria at first -- which shouldn't last, so don't expect it to!

On the lightheadedness, etc. -- make sure you're eating and drinking enough.

Being dehydrated and/or low on food can definitely contribute to lightheadedness or headaches and generally feeling a bit weird -- even if it's not really a direct side effect of the meds themselves.

Stimulants often suppress people's appetites (so you forget to eat), and they can give people dry mouth or make you more prone to dehydration. Make sure to eat (perhaps before the meds kick in, if they do take away your appetite) and drink enough fluids throughout the day.

Basically, the effect you're looking for is a reduction in symptoms. It should be a bit easier to do things that ADHD usually makes it difficult for you to do -- whether that's sit still, think before you speak, read a few pages of a book, whatever.

Some people find meds help more with some symptoms than with others -- it all depends on the person.

Though with stimulants, the effects on symptoms should be apparent right away at an appropriate dose, it can take some time (and a lot of effort!) for larger changes to show up -- for example, starting to get on top of things at work, having family members comment that you listen better, etc.

Good luck with it!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-24-12), Dubwise (04-25-12), Megan288 (04-25-12), Traveler5 (04-24-12)
Old 04-24-12, 08:31 PM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,772 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute

Have any tasks you have been procrastinating doing? Now is a good time to start on them. Be ready for a feeling of calm competency. "I can do that!"
-- Oscar Wilde
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Retromancer For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-24-12), Dubwise (04-25-12), namazu (04-25-12), Traveler5 (04-25-12)
Old 04-24-12, 08:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,170 Times in 3,036 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I would say try to not have any expectations- just put yourself into different situations and try to observe your behaviors. The biggest thing I get from meds is increased self awareness- I've become much more aware of my ADD behaviors by observing how I act and think differently on meds.

The drugs should not "do the work for you", but it may feel a little like that at first.
And yes, if you have any projects you've been postponing, now is the time. I definitely got a motivating kick at first (from dexedrine). This diminished over time, but now with my increased self awareness I'm trying to figure out how to motivate myself.

That's a pretty high dose. If it doesn't feel right, take a day off to reset then try again later at a smaller dose. In my experience taking a day off is important, because you'll still have meds lingering in you that will affect your second dose, and you'll have no idea what works and what doesn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-25-12), Traveler5 (04-25-12)
Old 04-24-12, 09:14 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler5 View Post
I have never been on a ADHD med before now.

I had an appt. with my family doctor this afternoon. Took a few assessment tests, we discussed it, and he was fairly confident I had symptoms associated with ADHD. He prescribed Adderall 20mg 1 per day.

My question is, now what? What can I expect in terms of side effects and what will be some of the first things I notice as the drug takes affect to address my ADHD?

Thanks!
Try to listen to music. It will sound sounding good for no reason at all ^_^
The Following User Says Thank You to Massari For This Useful Post:
Traveler5 (04-25-12)
Old 04-24-12, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Massari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of lightMassari is a glorious beacon of light

Describe describe describe.

^_________________________________________________ __________^
Old 04-24-12, 10:00 PM
Forum Guru

It's been over 4 hours since I took Adderall 20mg. I'm still a little bit light-headed but that feeling is mostly gone.

For the past few hours I've felt, for the lack of a better word, amped-up. I'm feeling somewhat manic as well but not to a point where it's not under control. I hope this eventually goes away or I get used to it.

Old 04-24-12, 10:24 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
20mg may be a bit high for a starting dose if you've never taken ADHD meds before -- may be something to ask your doctor. (That's if it's a short-acting pill -- on second thought, maybe the doc prescribed XR/extended release? that might make more sense...)

The meds shouldn't make you feel "high" -- though some people do get a bit of euphoria at first -- which shouldn't last, so don't expect it to!

On the lightheadedness, etc. -- make sure you're eating and drinking enough.

Being dehydrated and/or low on food can definitely contribute to lightheadedness or headaches and generally feeling a bit weird -- even if it's not really a direct side effect of the meds themselves.

Stimulants often suppress people's appetites (so you forget to eat), and they can give people dry mouth or make you more prone to dehydration. Make sure to eat (perhaps before the meds kick in, if they do take away your appetite) and drink enough fluids throughout the day.

Basically, the effect you're looking for is a reduction in symptoms. It should be a bit easier to do things that ADHD usually makes it difficult for you to do -- whether that's sit still, think before you speak, read a few pages of a book, whatever.

Some people find meds help more with some symptoms than with others -- it all depends on the person.

Though with stimulants, the effects on symptoms should be apparent right away at an appropriate dose, it can take some time (and a lot of effort!) for larger changes to show up -- for example, starting to get on top of things at work, having family members comment that you listen better, etc.

Good luck with it!
It's short acting. About 4-6 hours the doctor said. The initial euphoric feeling is gone and lasted only 30 minutes or less. It must be dehydrating because my mouth and lips are dry. I find myself drinking a lot of water and using Chapstick. Right now I'm feeling fairly hyper and a bit light-headed but that is noticibily decreasing. Right now I feel it's too soon to determine if the drug is giving me any benefit. I took it only 5 hours ago. Tomorrow at work will be the big test.

Thank you so much for the information and support!

The Following User Says Thank You to Traveler5 For This Useful Post:
namazu (04-25-12)
Old 04-24-12, 10:28 PM

ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

You should probably take a lower dose. Some mania is okay, but it's best to start at the lowest dose possible, provided it still produces a therapeutic effect.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
Traveler5 (04-25-12)
Old 04-25-12, 12:16 AM

Drizzy is on a distinguished road

a lot of happiness and euphoria
The Following User Says Thank You to Drizzy For This Useful Post:
Traveler5 (04-25-12)
Old 04-25-12, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler5 View Post
Tomorrow at work will be the big test.
Be careful taking it at work if you're not used to it yet. I would give it a few more tries at home first. I decided to titrate up on a work day, and it was a terrible idea. If I'd been a new employee I'd probably have been fired. You won't get a good idea of how it works for at least a couple days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
425runner (04-25-12), Traveler5 (04-25-12)
Old 04-25-12, 01:01 AM

carolinagirl08 is on a distinguished road

You should start off with 10mg. I started with 10mg a few weeks ago (just diagnosed with ADHD). It helped me with focusing during classes and helped me with concentrating while driving. However, there were still moments for me that I was "drifting off into lala land" so I had a doctors appointment this morning told my doc and he upped me to 20 mg XR. I feel the jitters like I initially did with the 10. I'm definitely not drifting away so far. I would recommend to start with 10 and then if you do not feel that it is enough, just go see your doctor. Most doctors are more than willing to work with you to make sure that the dosage will match up with your personal needs and how they think it will affect you (i.e., your height, weight, and blood pressure). Your body will get used to it and soon you won't feel the shakes and jitters anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinagirl08 For This Useful Post:
Traveler5 (04-26-12)
Old 04-25-12, 01:06 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana futura View Post
You should probably take a lower dose. Some mania is okay, but it's best to start at the lowest dose possible, provided it still produces a therapeutic effect.
I am going to do that tomorrow. Since I'm to take 20mg per day, I think I'll split one tab and take 10mg in the morning at work (8:00) and the other 10mg six hours later in the afternoon and see how that goes. I do feel the 20mg at once was a bit too much for the first time taking an ADHD med.

As far as the mania I was dealing with, I am Bipolar 2 so what I was feeling was something I have felt many times before but with a different twist to it. I am taking 300mg of Lamictal for the Bipolar 2 so I'm sure that helped me some today.

It's been seven and half hours since taking the first dose and the effects of the drug I was feeling earlier are pretty much gone except it's after 11:00 p.m. here and I feel nowhere near tired/sleepy. The stuff certainately got my heart pumping earlier. It was an interesting experience but nothing that alarmed me.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.