ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-12, 11:05 PM
Contributor

emploding has a spectacular aura aboutemploding has a spectacular aura about
Moving house checklist?

I'm moving house in a few weeks, and as most people with ADHD would know, moving is a realllly daunting task because of all the organisation involved.

Has anyone got any tips, or any resources (websites, books, posts, templates, etc) for helping me organise myself and things I need to do?

Ie: arrange movers, get the phone turned on, and other things I wouldn't even think of like (I don't know coz I haven't thought of it!)

I'm stressing myself out already and it's 3 weeks away

Dx: Bipolar II, ADD, DID, PTSD, Anxiety disorders, Eating disorder

Rx: Citalopram, Topamax, Ritalin
The Following User Says Thank You to emploding For This Useful Post:
stevealec247 (05-11-12)
Old 04-25-12, 11:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,331 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation
Re: Moving house checklist?

Sell 50% or more of your stuff before the move. Works for me, really well
Old 04-25-12, 11:46 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChemicals View Post
lol I'm such a hoarder, I still have stuff from when I'm a baby so I doubt that would work for me.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-12, 12:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

-nyr0c- will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well, idk about 50%... but Chemicals has a bit of a point XD. If you have trouble getting rid of some of that "extra" stuff you have with you, have someone help you. Point out the items that are really important, and then maybe let them help you decide judiciously which things you could part with.

I'm not saying you need to get rid of anything, but if you have a ton of stuff and want to get rid of some of it, a non-biased friend is your best bet.

Otherwise, no I've never really "moved," but I had to pack stuff up/donate stuff several times.

Current Medication - Straterra (80 mg Daily), Adderall (half of 15 mg Daily)
Old 04-26-12, 01:55 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I go room to room and make lists of utilities (in each room) that need to be turned on, and if there are specific rooms in your house (like in mine, I have books in the front room, gaming stuff in the living room, kitchen stuff in the kitchen, etc) I pre-write out the labels on masking tape and stick it to something in that room, so when I pack them up, I can just stick the label on it when it's taped up so I remember what's in there. Also, work on ONE room at a time. I have a tendency to run around everywhere and pack little bits of everything and it ends up a massive mess- one room at a time allows you to keep the mess and boxes a little more organized ^_^

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 04-26-12, 03:46 PM

Thanked 29,867 Times in 13,789 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Write down EVERYTHING!! Make a check list. Keep adding to it and strike off things as they get done.

1. Utilities & Admin
that you need to cancel and then reconnect at the new place (Electricity, water, telephone, broadband, etc.). ADmin could be things like giving notice to your landlord if you are renting

2. What do you need to actually move? (e.g. movers, cardboard boxes for packing, transportation, etc.)

3. If you are renting, what does your tenant's contract require you to do? (E.g. do you have to paint the walls, close up holes in the wall, clean the place, etc.)

4. What does your new contract require you to do? (For example, pay up agency fees, etc.)

5. What will you need in the new place as soon as you move in? Make sure to keep it handy and not hidden at the bottom of a cardboard box.

6. Slightly random, but have you thought about redirecting your post?

7. Notifying anyone of your change of address. I'm not sure where you live but here in the UK, it's pretty important that you change your address on your driving licence.

The most important thing for me is to really write down everything. Otherwise I neither remember what I have to do nor what I have done already. Also remember to factor in plenty of time to do everything. 3 weeks isn't too early to start planning a move, I think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (04-30-12), silivrentoliel (04-26-12)
Old 04-26-12, 05:36 PM

Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,125 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Australia Post and put a redirection on your mail for at least 6 months. Then when you get redirected mail you know who you have to change your addr with. The electoral roll is important too but you won't get any letters from them unless it's a fine for forgetting to vote.
Old 04-27-12, 05:31 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Traveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to all

It's really quite simple.

Hire movers who will:

- Box everything.

- Label what's in each box.

- Move all boxes and furniture and other large items (washer & dryer) and everything else into your new residence.

- Move all furniture and large items into place in your new residence.

- Put away everything that was boxed into their proper place.

You pay them a zillion dollars to do it after you return from your relaxing vacation in the South of France. They do all the thinking and the hard work while you're enjoying your holiday.

Oh, by the way, get your sister (women are better at this than men) who doesn't have ADD to take care of all the change-over details (utilities, mail, notification to billers, etc.) and anything else that requires some attention to details. You'll also need to pay her a zillion dollars as well to do this for you.

Have fun.

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.

Last edited by Traveler5; 04-27-12 at 05:44 PM..
Old 04-28-12, 07:09 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,908 Times in 13,069 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

be sure to label the very last stuff you pack - because it will be the first stuff you need when you unpack! don't label any boxes "miscellaneous".
Old 04-30-12, 08:07 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler5 View Post
Oh, by the way, get your sister (women are better at this than men) who doesn't have ADD to take care of all the change-over details (utilities, mail, notification to billers, etc.) and anything else that requires some attention to details. You'll also need to pay her a zillion dollars as well to do this for you.
Great idea. I don't have any siblings, but I do have a great friend who has realised how inept I am at these things and has told me she's coming to help me pack. That's how good she is - she didn't ask me, or offer - she told me, so I couldn't say no.

And I probably only have to feed her, not pay her a zillion dollars, yay!

I'm hoping the rest will take care of itself

Old 04-30-12, 10:00 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Traveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to allTraveler5 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by emploding View Post
Great idea. I don't have any siblings, but I do have a great friend who has realised how inept I am at these things and has told me she's coming to help me pack. That's how good she is - she didn't ask me, or offer - she told me, so I couldn't say no.

And I probably only have to feed her, not pay her a zillion dollars, yay!

I'm hoping the rest will take care of itself
Sounds like a wonderful friend and a great person. They're hard to find these days. Good for you!

I don't pay attention during conversations. Not even when I talk to myself.
Old 04-30-12, 10:02 PM
Contributor

FreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really nice

Use the internet:

http://www.realsimple.com/home-organ...208/index.html

or

http://www.mayflower.com/moving/movi...-checklist.htm

Caution - advice obtained from internet is only worth what you paid for it.
Old 04-30-12, 10:04 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,256 Times in 8,221 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

How far will you be moving?

~Paulo Coelho
Old 05-01-12, 12:21 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
How far will you be moving?
About two minutes around the corner, which in my head makes it harder to get motivated and organised than if it was further away!

Old 09-21-17, 05:42 AM

amberhina is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Moving house checklist?

I know shifting is the really hard thing to do and even harder to plan it, but man you are moving just around the corner, just pack your stuff and move it. or you can try trips like first kitchen stuff then living like that. after shifting then start working on address change and other stuff as you are moving just near, any mail (letter) or important stuff received at your old address can be a handout to you. I think, just maintain a good friendly behaviour with the new house honer.

that's it you are good to go, man...