ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-12, 05:57 PM
Jr Member

August233 is on a distinguished road
As someone with ADHD, how do you feel about autistic people?

I'm referring mainly to people with high-functioning autism - such that they are of normal or above normal intelligence, but they are very socially awkward. Are you aware of that condition? Do you know people with the condition, and what are your relations with them?

I personally have Asperger Syndrome and ADHD (most people with a form of autism have the symptoms of ADHD), and I feel very friendly towards autistic people who are aware of their condition, but if they aren't, then I only feel more secure, because I know they don't see my awkwardness.
Old 04-26-12, 08:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,906 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute
Re: As someone with ADHD, how do you feel about autistic people?

I have high functioning autism and ADHD. I don't think about my awkwardness around other people with autism, mainly because I've only met one other with autism.
To be honest others are hard to get along with, even online. If they have worse rigid thought patterns than me and aren't aware how rude they can come off, I feel insulted before realising what's going on. I suppose it takes me back to a time when I was like that.
Then again they make good friends especially when you have common interests and those that are more aware and less stuck in their own thought patterns get easier to talk to. Sometimes I think my friends have an unmeasurable amount of patience with me. I can be argumentative and hold to my own views too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Megan288 (04-26-12), Unmanagable (04-27-12)
Old 04-26-12, 08:25 PM

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

Well, I'm ADHD and I my career is working with autistic kiddos. I think my ADHD helps me connect with and understand them more-so than NTs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (04-29-12), Unmanagable (04-27-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-12, 09:48 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

It depends, honestly. Some I am perfectly OK around, others make me feel uncomfortable and nervous... but I think it depends on the person rather than the level of autism.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (04-29-12), Unmanagable (04-27-12)
Old 04-26-12, 10:27 PM

Thanked 6,259 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

The whole ADHD thing has been humbling, I feel that to some extent I have something in common with all of the learning disabled... I now feel a bit of camaraderie with the autistic types. That being said, I don't have any problem finding autistic or ADHD (for that matter) peeps who drive me up a wall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-28-12), silivrentoliel (04-27-12)
Old 04-26-12, 10:50 PM

Yes, I'm Trying is on a distinguished road

I definitely have quite a traits that are characteristic of autism/Asperger's. I can't fathom how I was not diagnosed with it in my childhood (I can't really remember - perhaps my parents blocked efforts by teachers to get a diagnosis? - I have probably talked about this elsewhere on the forum). I discussed my perseveration/odd habits in childhood in other posts here.

Let's put it this way: I took two "autism quotient" tests. One one, I scored 32, and on the other, 40. (On both tests, people officially diagnosed with autism generally scored 32 or above.)

Oddly, I don't personally know anyone who has told me they are autistic/Asperger's for sure. I can think of one person who might be; however, they could very well be bipolar.

All I have been officially diagnosed with is ADHD and OCD.
Old 04-27-12, 05:31 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice

Empathy really. My little brother has autism and we both have concentration problems in varying degrees and we both have sensory integration problems. He annoys me and we fight all the time but loads of siblings do, but my life wouldn't be nearly as amusing without him and he helped me become more grateful of things.
Old 04-27-12, 05:40 AM

Thanked 7,906 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes, I'm Trying View Post
I definitely have quite a traits that are characteristic of autism/Asperger's. I can't fathom how I was not diagnosed with it in my childhood (I can't really remember - perhaps my parents blocked efforts by teachers to get a diagnosis? - I have probably talked about this elsewhere on the forum). I discussed my perseveration/odd habits in childhood in other posts here.

Let's put it this way: I took two "autism quotient" tests. One one, I scored 32, and on the other, 40. (On both tests, people officially diagnosed with autism generally scored 32 or above.)

Oddly, I don't personally know anyone who has told me they are autistic/Asperger's for sure. I can think of one person who might be; however, they could very well be bipolar.

All I have been officially diagnosed with is ADHD and OCD.
It depends what decade it was when you were a child. Asperger's has only been an officially diagnosis since 1994 (or around that time). I was 8 years old then and really needed a diagnosis and was really showing the symptoms. It actually did take a children's psychologist to tell my mum, when I was 21, that I might have Asperger's.

After 2001 is when it started to get more awareness because of films like Mozart and the Whale.
Old 04-27-12, 05:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,298 Times in 13,280 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

My sister has aspergers and shes 14 years younger than me. In her early years as we were trying to get a grasp on her dx it was really difficult for me because I would act on my impulses (undiagnosed) and get in loads of trouble and she would also act impulsively and it was more understandable because she was diagnosed ASD. Once I got past that I was able to embrace our similar quirks and realize how similar we actually were. Emotionally I had to work twice as hard with her because some of her social difficulties made it hard for me to relate to her but she's been doing great and things are all good in the hood now.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 04-28-12, 06:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

Chicchick will become famous soon enough

Along with a lot of my family and myself, my father has severe ADHD (it's genetic) and had a job for a long time working with autistic children and loved it. He excelled at his job and was able to work with them like no one else could (high functioning and low functioning forms of autism). I believe that people with learning disabilities and/or genetic disorders of any kind seem to understand each other better.
Old 04-28-12, 02:09 PM

Steven_Tyler77 will become famous soon enough

I've read some studies showing that there are shared genes in autism and ADHD. That doesn't surprise me, as in my father's family there have been many people with both ADHD and Asperger's subclinical traits. My father has lots of Aspie traits (and some ADHD-like impulsiveness and inattentiveness), but I'm sure he's just subclinical.

I personally have many an Aspie trait too, I'm socially awkward and I always obsess over a handful of special interests. I have a good theory of mind and I am skilled at expressing emotions though. I scored 105 points out of 200 for Aspie traits and 106 points out of 200 for NT traits on the Aspie-quiz that I learned about on this forum (http://www.rdos.net/eng/).

I am a member of Wrong Planet forums (Aspie online community) and hang out a lot in there. I find that me and Aspie people have lots of things in common, especially about the way we find NTs and NT life puzzling.

I also have a close friend that probably has a mild case of Asperger's. She's the person whose personality is most similar to mine in the world...

To conclude, I feel nothing but solidarity and sympathy for all neurodiverse people...
Old 04-28-12, 03:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

Harrier will become famous soon enough

I have some of the issues reading social cues and communicating as people with Aspergers. I have had a few people who know me ask if I have Aspergers due to the social/communication piece.
Old 04-28-12, 03:44 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,248 Times in 8,588 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been able to determine whether I may or may not be borderline high functioning aspie. Some of my social quirks seem to indicate this but they might also be explained by ADD and comorbidity related causes.

I have visited the wrongplanet site myself but eventually stopped because I just could not figure out whether I felt at home there or not, something that I have not a shadow of a doubt about on this forum.
ginniebean (04-29-12), Spacemaster (04-30-12)
Old 04-28-12, 06:17 PM

wabeya72 is on a distinguished road

I've never had a vendetta against other people for any one reason or another. My brother has OCD and I have ADHD, and my family is sprinkled with similar mental disorders. But we are all very well-to-do people and function very well in our worlds. Therefore I am tolerant and understanding of medical conditions. That being said, there is an autistic kid that lives on my floor and comes over daily and sits down with our group and plays video games with us. We feel extremely uncomfortable with it, but nobody says anything because nobody can find the right way to tell him to leave. I'll admit I get very annoyed, and mad, but I don't blame it on him. I just don't want to have him around, his fault or not.

I don't really know how Aspergers works or how people that have it think and feel, but I have met a number of people that have it in my past. I didn't treat them any different from anybody else, but then again they didn't try to invade my space every day. My feelings towards these people will never be one of contempt, however much they may annoy me as a function of their disorder.

If someone with Aspergers is cool to hang out with, I'd hang out with them. It's as simple as that.

ADHD, Vyvanse 50mg
Old 04-28-12, 07:34 PM

Yes, I'm Trying is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
It depends what decade it was when you were a child. Asperger's has only been an officially diagnosis since 1994 (or around that time). I was 8 years old then and really needed a diagnosis and was really showing the symptoms. It actually did take a children's psychologist to tell my mum, when I was 21, that I might have Asperger's.

After 2001 is when it started to get more awareness because of films like Mozart and the Whale.
I was born in 1991. In 1997 (kindergarten), several evaluations of me were performed. They noted "poor social skills" (though interestingly, I was described as "affectionate" and "not shy"), coordination and sensory issues, poor muscle tone, inattentiveness, and perseveration, among other things. However, there is never any mention of ADHD or any other specific condition - they just recommended occupational therapy and "facilitating interaction with peers". There are also mentions of me being "gifted". I got that for about two years - and then the budget cuts came.