ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-30-12, 08:42 PM

zizou21 is on a distinguished road
Anyone ever done the 3 hour psychological evaluation?

My doctor thinks I have ADD so she referred me to a psychologist where I will be doing testing for up to 3 hours?? Holy cow.

Has anyone ever done these tests and could explain to me what they entail exactly, and what things they are looking for??
Old 04-30-12, 08:56 PM
Forum Guru

Twiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to allTwiggy is a name known to all
Re: Anyone ever done the 3 hour psychological evaluation?

That's a waste of money (I've been there, done that). Going to a Psychiatrist will save you a lot of time and money and will give you options for medications at the same time.
Past Rx= Adderall 15mg 1/7/14, Medical Marijuana, Smokeless Tobacco, Adderall IR 25mg 4/23/13, Dexedrine IR 20mg, Ritalin IR 60mg.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twiggy For This Useful Post:
Harrier (04-30-12)
Old 04-30-12, 08:57 PM

Will1963 is on a distinguished road

Mine lasted something like 5 hours. It was very useful for the diagnosis. In mine, a lot was IQ testing. I just tried my hardest, so as to get accurate results. And there was a questionnaire with 567 questions (yes/no questions). Most interesting, there was a test on a computer involving reacting to letters on a screen. I had no idea what was being tested, so when the result came back (typical inattentive ADD) it was particularly convincing. My suggestion is, as much as possible, just have fun with it.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-12, 08:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,406 Times in 1,822 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

yeah had a few of these...its best not to go digging too much and to go in to it with a fresh mind.any prior knowledge of a psychological test (particularly if you try and practise/buff up on it) will give false positives/negatives etc..ive had a WAIS IV adult and i has the WAIS as a child too which comprised testing of overall intelligence and cognitive functioning, tests such as completing puzzles, coding, analysing/matching symbols etc verbal comprehension, short term/working memory, phonic knowledge, general knowledge...there are so many things they are testing for that you wont even notice being looked at...

when i got my report back the psychologist had even noted things like my fidgeting/restless legs as the length of testing went on beyond my concentration ability wasn't even aware i was doing it..and how my body would fidget/wriggle when i was challenged...based on your WAIS profile an educational psychologist will be able to notice trends/differences in results that are indicative of either neuro typical or like myself neurodevelopmental conditions and diagnose specific conditions...3 hours is a very long time for an adhd'er

TL;DR .....cliffs please :|
The Following User Says Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
Lillianmay (04-30-12)
Old 04-30-12, 09:04 PM

Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

true twiggy-but if your like me and you are at university or even in every day life in some circumstances you will need recommendations for accomodations/adjustments etc from an ed.psychologist and these tests give clear results not only for ADD but a whole host of other ND conditions, a psychiatirst generally will not do that for you...
the battery of psychological testing also serves as a good test to outrule comorbidities...many symptoms may be similar to adhd but related to another condition, without the whole picture you run the risk of being misdiagnosed...if you do get the ADD diagnosis you can then proceed to see a psych if meds are a path you would like to go down.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-30-12), Lillianmay (04-30-12)
Old 04-30-12, 09:26 PM
Contributor

Lillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud ofLillianmay has much to be proud of

I went in to be evaluated for learning disabilities – I suspected dyslexia - so had an education evaluation and it included psychological testing. My first session was 90min and I told them it was too long and they let me break it down into several 45 min sessions. Some are timed test and some are not. These tests cannot test for ADHD but they can help rule out things like LDs. They were like Florence1989 said puzzles and stuff.

They can also show some problems that do often come up in ADHD, like poor working memory, but these problems can also be part of other problems.

My doctor suspected dyslexia and ADHD. She had me take a dose of Adderall and redo some of the test. She said she was looking for a greater than 8% increase in functioning like in my auditory memory and some other stuff. On some things I did improve and on some things I did not improve. The test did show dyslexia and probably ADHD-PI. I still have some testing to go through at a speech center. Most of this for me is to look at learning disabilities. The ADHD-PI was a surprise to me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lillianmay For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-30-12), Flory (04-30-12), jengen (05-03-12)
Old 04-30-12, 09:32 PM

Thanked 14,994 Times in 6,778 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

There are NO tests that are valid for an adhd diagnosis. Hours of testing =waste of money. It doesn't take a good psych doctor hours to diagnose someone with depression or other mental illnesses.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-30-12, 11:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Harrier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
There are NO tests that are valid for an adhd diagnosis. Hours of testing =waste of money. It doesn't take a good psych doctor hours to diagnose someone with depression or other mental illnesses.
I disagree on the value of testing. It can be a waste of money for some people. Other people can get a lot of information about how people function,strengths, weaknesses, co-morbid factors, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harrier For This Useful Post:
ADDarren (05-01-12), ana futura (05-01-12), Flory (04-30-12)
Old 04-30-12, 11:33 PM

that i guess in a roundabout way was what i was trying to convey, having an adhd diagnosis is one thing but IMO psychological testing has proven useful in discovering as you say strengths/weaknesses and ways to work with my problems and help/aids i can utilise in the education/work setting for my adhd as well as having diagnosis of other co-morbidities , that being said i did see an ADHD consultant in addition to because an ed. psychologist can not presribe.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
ana futura (05-01-12), Harrier (04-30-12)
Old 05-01-12, 04:12 AM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,862 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to get set up for testing myself, since I want to know if there are any other issues going on besides my ADHD. If you are certain that you only have inattention and that there isn't any possibility of a learning disability, then it may be unnecessary. I've always had a hunch that I have a learning disability, so it's entirely worth it to me.
Old 05-01-12, 04:48 AM

Thanked 14,994 Times in 6,778 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence1989 View Post
that i guess in a roundabout way was what i was trying to convey, having an adhd diagnosis is one thing but IMO psychological testing has proven useful in discovering as you say strengths/weaknesses and ways to work with my problems and help/aids i can utilise in the education/work setting for my adhd as well as having diagnosis of other co-morbidities , that being said i did see an ADHD consultant in addition to because an ed. psychologist can not presribe.
I agree with you. My point was that to "testing" is not a way to determine if someone has adhd. Its good to rule out other comorbids or learning difficulties but doing well or poorly on tests does not disqualify someone from having or not having adhd. I don't want someone to read about tests being necessary for a diagnosis because they arent.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Flory (05-02-12)
Old 05-01-12, 05:45 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

PixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nicePixiePlumber is just really nice

I had a 3 hour assessment, but it only took 2 in the end, It was mostly cognitive ability tests to rule out some other conditions, then lots of questions about how I'm doing and what problems I'm having to rule out others as well.
Old 05-01-12, 12:03 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

T-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to all

I've done this. I can't remember how many hours it took, but it was somewhere in the 3-4 hour range. However, it was a long series of short tests, so I didn't get bored with any of them. And they are all very different, so if I felt like I wasn't very good at one of them, I didn't feel discouraged. The next test would likely be one that seemed very easy to me. So just relax and try to go with the flow.
Old 05-01-12, 01:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Harrier will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillianmay View Post
I went in to be evaluated for learning disabilities – I suspected dyslexia - so had an education evaluation and it included psychological testing. My first session was 90min and I told them it was too long and they let me break it down into several 45 min sessions. Some are timed test and some are not. These tests cannot test for ADHD but they can help rule out things like LDs. They were like Florence1989 said puzzles and stuff.

They can also show some problems that do often come up in ADHD, like poor working memory, but these problems can also be part of other problems.

My doctor suspected dyslexia and ADHD. She had me take a dose of Adderall and redo some of the test. She said she was looking for a greater than 8% increase in functioning like in my auditory memory and some other stuff. On some things I did improve and on some things I did not improve. The test did show dyslexia and probably ADHD-PI. I still have some testing to go through at a speech center. Most of this for me is to look at learning disabilities. The ADHD-PI was a surprise to me.
Everyone, me included, strongly suspects I have something else going. I started testing this week and am looking forward to seeing what they find. I also need more documentation to qualify for grad school. They won't give me a 504 based on the results from my doctor's version of testing.