ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 05-01-12, 02:57 PM
Jr Member

haftobeperfect is on a distinguished road
Adderall and Poor Sleep: Opinions and experiences, please.

I have been taking Adderall IR for about 2 months. I'm on a very low dose:

10 mg in the AM and 5mg in the early to mid afternoon.

I work an afternoon to evening shift-usually off of work at 9 or 10 PM after starting at 1 or 2 PM.

Before starting Adderall, I was having some sleep issues, some related to body aches and pains and some just to restless sleep or waking up feeling very sluggish. My body aches have since gone away.

Since using Adderall, I find that my sleep can also be very restless and I wake up not feeling well rested. I'm OK once I take my first Adderall dose or have 2 cups of coffee.

When I take 2 or 3 days off of the Adderall, I start sleeping much better. I know everyone's different but I'm wondering if the Adderall is messing with my sleep cycle, even though it should be out of my system by the time I go to bed-usually 1 or 2 AM. (I wake up about 10 AM).

Any thoughts?
Old 05-01-12, 05:14 PM
Jr Member

hermitix will become famous soon enough
Re: Adderall and Poor Sleep: Opinions and experiences, please.

I feel like it messes with my sleep cycle also. I take XR. They say it lasts about 8 to 10 hours. While I did take my dose late yesterday (12:00pm), I would think it should have been out of my system by 10pm. BUT I did not end up falling asleep until 4am. I didn't even FEEL TIRED til then. And I am the kind of person who falls asleep anytime, anywhere. Not anymore. I don't even take naps anymore :S
Old 05-01-12, 05:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,210 Times in 7,313 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not, sometimes not taking enough of a medication causes insomnia or sleep issues. If this problem continues, you could try another med or even possibly consider a sleep study. I had one and it was eye opening.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (10-06-12), dbellca82 (12-08-12), MrDavidAlan (10-10-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-12, 10:04 PM
Contributor

AddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the roughAddYourAll is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Believe it or not, sometimes not taking enough of a medication causes insomnia or sleep issues. If this problem continues, you could try another med or even possibly consider a sleep study. I had one and it was eye opening.
her advice probably sounds crazy but very true. I'll name a couple things then I'll give you a great reliable sourse (link)
First, most people with ADD have trouble sleeping and have always had trouble sleeping.
1)talk to your Dr about raising your dose. You are on a very low dose. That's okay;people have all different degrees of symptoms,some are also more sensitive to stimulants than others

2) Being an adult, take other meds into account, if you take any. I find most adults are 'depressed' or 'anxious' before being diagnoised. Why else would they seek a Dr.? Also, make sure you went/go to a psychiatrist or a Dr that specializes in neurological disorders , someone experienced with the proper creditentials, rather than a GP. Their useful starting point pending on insurance plan. some plans make you get a gatekeeper, then referral of Dr who's on yer HMO(bs), but should reccomend professional. Don't settle. Call around, it's not dr. shopping.

Some great Drs are going straight cash, because unscupulous insurance company's don't want to reimburse Drs for TIME spent. A good Dr will spend at least an hr , and halh initially,all pending if alreadt dxed or not. later session should be shorter, MUCH less expensive 'med checks' most will work with patients and post date scripts; then you don't have to visit office every 30 days

I see an ex-pediatrician that now specializes in treating ad/hd, and councils adolescents and young adults, along with eating disorders etc.(but any Dr. with experience in ad/hd will do, she's unique that she dealt with children)

If whomever you choose, thinks you don't have add, they will refer to a pdoc
drs well versed in the disorder, know that too low a dose can be a big problem. Finding the optimal dose is the most difficult part after dx IMO
Also, taking an evening dose helps many patients 'chatty brains'

3) sleep hygiene, nothing stimulating;turn off tv, take warm bath, clean sheets, silence, meditating, soft music? u get the idea, I used to take xanax and sleep clothed Lol...

4) many people take clonodine at night, which is very sedating, especially kids
all this info is on Additudemag.com, which is a great site that covers everything. Obviously, I'm not a Dr, and talk with yours. with adders sleep is a must, and give your body time to adjust before saying, "oh no, it stinks!" after a week unless serious side-effects , of course... but google ADDitudemag.com/ tons of info, great mag and site, forum etc. good luck
BTW, I copied some of my 4 things off a list of 15 on the mag written by DRs- good luck, Add

Last edited by AddYourAll; 05-01-12 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: can't spell
Old 05-02-12, 03:02 PM
Jr Member

haftobeperfect is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddYourAll View Post

2) Being an adult, take other meds into account, if you take any. I find most adults are 'depressed' or 'anxious' before being diagnoised. Why else would they seek a Dr.? Also, make sure you went/go to a psychiatrist or a Dr that specializes in neurological disorders , someone experienced with the proper creditentials, rather than a GP. Their useful starting point pending on insurance plan. some plans make you get a gatekeeper, then referral of Dr who's on yer HMO(bs), but should reccomend professional. Don't settle. Call around, it's not dr. shopping.

Some great Drs are going straight cash, because unscupulous insurance company's don't want to reimburse Drs for TIME spent. A good Dr will spend at least an hr , and halh initially,all pending if alreadt dxed or not. later session should be shorter, MUCH less expensive 'med checks' most will work with patients and post date scripts; then you don't have to visit office every 30 days

I see an ex-pediatrician that now specializes in treating ad/hd, and councils adolescents and young adults, along with eating disorders etc.(but any Dr. with experience in ad/hd will do, she's unique that she dealt with children)

If whomever you choose, thinks you don't have add, they will refer to a pdoc
I don't take any other meds at this time except a multivitamin, fish oil supplement, and vitamin d supplement.

I am currently seeing a Pdoc through my insurance. I chose him primarily because of positive reports on review sites such yelp, rate my doc, etc. I am open to any suggestions for a Pdoc in the Southern Cal/LA area and I'm willing to self-pay cash if necessary. Thanks.

John
Old 05-02-12, 03:12 PM
Jr Member

Rams88 is on a distinguished road

I take 30mg IR twice a day, some days I sleep some days I don't. Sleeping pattern goes back to normal after a few days off of it. Insomnia is the worst side effect I deal with.
As of now Ive been awake 30 hours straight. On a normal night I sleep 4-6 hours, even if I've been up for 50 hours straight I might sleep 8?
Old 05-04-12, 04:37 AM
Contributor

oneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really niceoneup is just really nice

That's rough Ram, I need more sleep than that,I would personally lower my dose. I had been sleeping 8 hours a night before adderall. Right now I'm only getting about 5. I don't feel sleepy exactly, but I know I'm not sleeping right, and my focus and energy level suffers some. I wish I had some pills or something to take for sleep but doubt my doctor would be cool with that.

I don't know what to try at this point, maybe taking it for 2 days on, 1 day off? If I skip it, I have great deep restorative sleep, but then I have no adderall benefits for a day.
Old 05-04-12, 04:05 PM

lolerary is on a distinguished road

Insomnia is definitely my worst side effect and it never went away, even after years.

I take 30 mg of Adderall XR in the morning, usually around 8 or 9, and I generally can't fall asleep until about 3 AM. A few years ago I used to get up and take it at 6 AM and then go back to sleep, and I still couldn't get to sleep until about 3. I like to take it right before I leave for school so I am reading something when it kicks in, and then I will study all day.

I usually wake up around 6 or 7 AM. If I get 5 hours of sleep, then that is a REALLY good night for me. Sometimes I get no sleep at all and sometimes only a couple of hours. It is horrible.
Old 10-04-12, 05:39 PM
Jr Member

Steviepdx is on a distinguished road

The LevoAmphetamine half of adderall (gives you the physical energy/kick) has a half life of up to 15hrs, DextroAmph (the stuff that kicks in about an hour or so after you take it and wakes up your brain, let's you focus) has a half life of 3 to 6 hrs. So when you take your afternoon booster your still have the full AM dose of LevoAmphetamine in your system. .... I was having major insomnia issues untilll I got my doc to switch my booster to Dexedrine(dextroamphetamine). I work 12 to 14 hr shifts at a hospital and the timing is perfect for me, I start my shift at 7am and by 10pm im ready to hit the hay. When I was taking adderal at 2pm before I would get almost NO sleep
Old 10-06-12, 12:52 PM

addsauce is on a distinguished road

You might try things like melatonin or 5htp. 5htp 6 hours before bed and/or a small amount o melatonin 3 hours before.
Old 10-06-12, 05:12 PM

robotsex is on a distinguished road

I've been back on Adderall virtually everyday for 9 months and I've been on 50mg a day for several months. Sleeplessness was definitely a problem in the beginning as I was getting the dose down with my doctor and figuring out when to take my meds. I'd say time of dose is important. The earliest I can sleep is 6-7 hours usually after my last dose, which is 5 hours after the positive effects have worn off.

The big problem I had in the beginning was not falling asleep, but early waking insomnia where I'd wake up after 5 hours of sleep everyday even thought I wanted to sleep more and I felt tired. I think some of this had to do with anticipation of being able to use my newfound "abilities" that have always been there, but the medication gives me the chance to really focus and use them. Sort of christmas morning anticipation to get to work.

These days, I can sleep much better. The medication has more of an invisible effect on me now rather than the pronounced kick in the butt I used to get for the first few months. To be honest this is bitter sweet as I miss the kick in the pants of really knowing it's working, but that has consequences as well insofar as not having flexibility to do things other than *get stuff done*.

So my body getting used to a consistent dose over time (some would call this tolerance, I would call this acclimation) combined with getting used to the effects of the medication psychologically have meant it's easier for me to sleep. Sometimes however, I feel my ability to sleep could just be related to becoming extremely fatigued over several days of not sleeping well -- not sure, but I slept for 9 hours last night.

As far as using supplements to sleep, I've never had success with them. It's like trying to stop a train with loaf of bread. I've found that magnesium has a 50/50 chance of giving me more insomnia even if taken 9 hours after my last dose.
Old 10-10-12, 07:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

MrDavidAlan is just really niceMrDavidAlan is just really niceMrDavidAlan is just really niceMrDavidAlan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I would like to note that when I was on 10 mg xr once a day, and then added an IR at the end of the day, I could be in bed, sound asleep by 7 PM

10 MG XR - 5 - 7 AM (depending on when I work, more towards the 7 PM by the way)

5 MG IR (as needed) - mostly about 3 PM as I have class at 3:30 PM and 4 PM, except for Wednesdays where I take it at 5 PM for my 6 PM class.

On Wednesdays, I could still sleep with the IR. Remember its a narcotic.

It is a Marathon, not a sprint.
Old 12-06-12, 07:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,007 Times in 504 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by haftobeperfect View Post
I have been taking Adderall IR for about 2 months. I'm on a very low dose:

10 mg in the AM and 5mg in the early to mid afternoon.

I work an afternoon to evening shift-usually off of work at 9 or 10 PM after starting at 1 or 2 PM.

Before starting Adderall, I was having some sleep issues, some related to body aches and pains and some just to restless sleep or waking up feeling very sluggish. My body aches have since gone away.

Since using Adderall, I find that my sleep can also be very restless and I wake up not feeling well rested. I'm OK once I take my first Adderall dose or have 2 cups of coffee.

When I take 2 or 3 days off of the Adderall, I start sleeping much better. I know everyone's different but I'm wondering if the Adderall is messing with my sleep cycle, even though it should be out of my system by the time I go to bed-usually 1 or 2 AM. (I wake up about 10 AM).

Any thoughts?
Adrenal fatigue. It's a complicated issue, but essentially what happens is your adrenal glands become overworked and are unable to produce enough cortisol (the stress hormone, the hormone that we are supposed to naturally get a boost of in the morning and whose levels are supposed to drop down at night) to keep you going at the right times and, ultimately, at all.

Trouble waking up and restless sleep are two big indicators that your adrenals are starting to struggle. They no longer produce the natural increase in cortisol you need to wake up in the morning, and yet at the same time (and somewhat cruelly, IMHO), they kick in about 9:00 or 10:00 at night, delivering a big old dose of cortisol and making it difficult to impossible to get to sleep. If you do get to sleep, it's usually non-restful sleep, the kind you wake up from and don't even really feel like you've been asleep.

Because coffee or Adderall still get you going, you're still in the early stages; the stimulants will kickstart your adrenals into basically going into "fight or flight" mode and cranking out some extra cortisol.

Another symptom is body aches and pains - these are also symptomatic of adrenal fatigue. For awhile last summer (when I, due to a variety of circumstances, my own adrenal fatigue progressed rapidly) I was feeling like my body had aged about 20 years in just a few months. Just by chance I came across a mention of the fact that adrenal fatigue compromises our ability to hold onto salt, and that supplementing with sea salt can be quite helpful. I did, and the body aches disappeared within days. (As yours seem to have disappeared since you started Adderall, you've got me wondering if in your mild case, the "salts" in Adderall actually have a similar effect.)

Anyway, there's tons of info online, but what I can say from my own experience is that anyone who is experiencing even mild adrenal fatigue symptoms needs to take them seriously and do whatever it takes to get their sleep cycle back on track. I'm simply not able to function competently at all without Adderall, so beyond trying to change my dosage times, I've had to rely on other things - cutting out all caffeine and sugar and alcohol (all three of these are similarly tough on your adrenals), getting to bed as early as possible (and as often as possible well before 10:00), and using various sleep supplements. Magnesium is good to help the restlessness, l-theanine (a green tea extract that has, on some people including myself a relaxing effect rather than a stimulating one), valerian, and any of several of the adrenal fatigue sleep supplements that seem to be popping up now have all been quite helpful.

Trust me when I say that you do not want to know what the later stages of adrenal fatigue feel like.