ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 06-21-12, 10:43 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

surferdude123 has a spectacular aura aboutsurferdude123 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Modafinil (provigil) vs Adderall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
I have to come to terms with the fact that I guess I agree with you guys on modanfil or ( provigil -nuvigil ) seem to really help adhd . I really think it's awesome when combined with your adhd stimulant . I am on concerta and ritalin and it works but , it really is kind of up and down although its pretty good overall. I"ll admit that I think adderall is smoother but I'm not quite certain I felt normal regarding the ability to be calm and not a behavior problem. I guess I have behavior issues as an adult and I'm kind of aggressive , loud, rude at times which is why ritalin control this and my adhd better. Oh well, I know adderall has worked at some point though. My entire logic is that I don't want to be on too much since I'm on wellbutrin in addition to my meds. It seems to workout pretty good. I was on nuvigil and wellbutrin and concerta and this seemed to work very well. I don't really know if I should go back to the big 3? Was it overkill? Did this combo overstimulate me overtime? I don't know but I needed honestly more of a kick from nuvigil so maybe provigil would have been better. Overall, when on nuvigil and stimulant I was very attentive and engaged. Totally normal and had no problems moving from one task to the next and kicking everybody's rear end in the process. The issue is that tolerance often builds quick with modanfil. I can get by pretty good without it , but much controlled with it.
I read the gist of this and I know where you're going.....

overall Wellbutrin CAN soggy down the action of stimulants via oversaturation with Dopamine, especially if you lack the DAT gene to use/transport dopamine properly, but if it worked then stay on it....most anti-depressants are neuroprotective anyway.

Depending on your type of ADD I'd stick with Dex and Adderall to the MPH class stimulants

Eugeroics like Modafinil when combined with a very low dose of Dex work very well depending on what you're doing (not Ritalin because you don't want too much NE, and not Adderall for the same reason as D-AMP is primary CNS acting and not PNS / peripheral)

I've learned for myself, going through med school that I take different meds for different activities....

For example, if I'm learning, spending the day in the classrooms / labs etc. I'll take Adderall XR with a Dex topper in the afternoon / evening for studying etc.

If I am in hospital applying my knowledge, because that's where I flourish, all I need is Modafinil to be awake and feel alert (Modaf also improves working memory significantly)

So you just need to balance what works for you! But definitely don't overstimulate with overkill either !
Old 06-21-12, 10:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

surferdude123 has a spectacular aura aboutsurferdude123 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshect View Post
Have you guys found a way to get your insurance to chip in for this Modifinal? My insurance won't cover it and it will cost me like $200 or $300 for a freakin bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please let me know if any of you got your insurance to cover it.
Yah sometimes it does, sometimes you can ask your doctor to write your HMO or Insurance company a letter stating why you need to be covered...

3 months worth for me of Modafinil costs roughly $375.00+ and a bit of change, and it's about the same for Adderall XR...

You see, ADHD is still looked down upon by Corporate Medicine, and Businesses, keep the "dumb, dumb" and the "smart, smart"

Just like a lot of companies will support Smoking Cessation, but they won't pay for cessation aids....haha. Anyway good luck with getting coverage!
Old 06-21-12, 11:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I have sleep apnea , costs me 25 bucks . Owned !

"The Focalin King"
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-12, 02:57 AM
Contributor

Jshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really nice

Damn, surferdud123, you got some coverage and it still costs $125+ a month. I guess that's better than $300. Man this sucks. Why the hell is this medication so expensive? Hasn't it been around for a while? This isn't a brand new medication right?
Old 06-22-12, 11:45 AM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

its not adhd approved thats why is so expensive. It's going to get an approval soon though . Yeah it works , but it really works best for keeping you not sleepy. I didn't find it tremendous for focus, thats what combining stimulants is for.

"The Focalin King"
Old 06-22-12, 06:25 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

See I'm taking Memantine and I tried this combo again yesterday and I was on fire for 15 hrs.....

Big mistake. Couldn't fall asleep then finally I broke down and took .5mg Xanax along with 2gm 5HTP, and 6mg Melatonin and finally I was able to sleep.

Modafinil as we've been saying works great in many ways, but for focus, motivation, and concentration, it's best when combined with a very low dose stimulant, and taken early in the day!
Old 06-23-12, 02:12 AM
Contributor

Jshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really niceJshect is just really nice

damn surferdude, how much modafinil did you take?
Surferdude do you think a medication this powerful is safe enough to take long term?
Hollywood, How soon do you think it will be when it gets approved and how do you know it's even going to get approved? According to wikipedia it was voted down because it can cause rashes. Wikipedia went on to say it caused some type of terrible rash in 5 out of a million people which should not be a reason for the FDA to not approve it for ADHD. Every med has some crazy reaction in a few unlucky people.
Old 06-23-12, 04:30 AM
Contributor

Is this medication going to give me a heart attack when I'm 45. Someone said it feels like you drank 4 cups of coffee without the jitteriness. You've got to have some concerns about a mediaction that is this powerful. I am pretty desperate so I would like to try it, but I am concerned.
Old 06-23-12, 09:34 PM
Contributor

Here's an article about what the manufacturer of provigil is doing to keep raking in the cash: Nuvilgil.

Quote:
Street drug dealers have used the same formula for years to push their product. They meet and sometimes befriend their target prospects. They offer them drugs for free or at a low price. They wait for their trap to spring — for the target to get hooked on the stuff. The end result is the perfect customer — one who will pay anything, or do anything, for their next hit.

Of course, this kind of marketing strategy isn’t high-toned enough to be covered in the Wall Street Journal — unless, that is, you’re Big Pharma pushing legal drugs.

According to the Journal:

Quote:
"Cephalon Inc. (CEPH) has launched a campaign to switch users of its best-selling drug, the stimulant Provigil, to a newer drug with longer patent protection, enticing patients with prescription co-pay assistance…

Nuvigil is chemically similar to Provigil, but Cephalon says its effects are longer-lasting than Provigil. The drugs weren’t tested head-to-head in clinical efficacy trials, but Cephalon says the drugs were compared in terms of concentrations in plasma.

From a business perspective, Nuvigil also has the benefit of patent protection through 2023. Provigil, approved in the U.S. in 1998, is due to face generic competition in the U.S. in 2012 under patent-litigation settlements Cephalon has reached with generics manufacturers. .."

Cephalon’s strategy is to switch as many Provigil patients to Nuvigil as possible to the mute the impact of Provigil’s loss of market exclusivity."
The Journal adds that as part of its strategy, Cephalon has more than doubled the price of Provigil, so that now (with discounts and promotions) Nuvigil is cheaper.

Do you see what’s happening here? Let me break it down for you by way of analogy — in street terms.

Quote:
"A drug dealer — we’ll call him “MC Ceph” — has made a mint selling crack on his street corner. But now pimps like Rite-A, Wal-M and CVS-Dog are close to gaining access to a cheaper supplier and are planning to undercut MC Ceph’s price dramatically.

Wal-M is even talking about selling a 30-day supply for just $4.

MC Ceph would no longer be able to live large if this happened. He would have to settle for living medium-sized.

And how would it look to the Street if he didn’t keep increasing his revenues every quarter?

Now, MC Ceph is not the gat-toting type (he’s actually kind of a wimp), so he has to win this game with his wits. Fortunately for him, he figures out just the way to do it.

He decides to jack up the price he charges for crack while he still has no competition. After all, what choice do his crackhead customers have? He’s got a monopoly in the neighborhood.

Then, he’s going to start selling something he calls “nu-crack.” It’s really the same drug he’s always been selling; he’s just “cutting” it with different additives that change the texture and color of the drug.

He offers “nu-crack” for free or super-cheap at first — until his customer base gets hooked on it and is asking for “nu-crack” instead of old crack.

When the low-cost crack dealers arrive on the next corner, MC Ceph will have already converted his customer base — so he keeps his monopoly and his high margins."
There’s a risk in MC Ceph’s plan, of course. You see, “nu-crack” really isn’t much different from old crack, and if MC Ceph’s customers ever figure that out, they’ll be off to Wal-M — and he’ll be out of business.

And so it with Cephalon. Provigil is essentially the same drug as Nuvigil. Nuvigil was only created for marketing purposes, to retain Cephalon’s monopoly and its profits.

And so it goes — on the back streets, and on Wall Street.~ Cary Byrd

Last edited by BR549; 06-24-12 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: link to other community
Old 06-24-12, 02:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Well it can cause a spike in BP, especially when combined with other stimulants, so unless you work closely with your physician I wouldn't recommend "just trying it"

However, I found the 200mg Modafinil + 5mg Dexedrine great for the entire day. 16hrs coverage to be exact with no drop offs.

With that said, like I said before, it helps with some things and not others in terms of the academic vs professional environment.

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU'RE DOING WITH YOUR LIFE.

That's my advice
Old 06-25-12, 01:13 AM

Likewise I take a higher dose of stimulants and Modanfil works great

"The Focalin King"
Old 06-25-12, 11:11 PM
Contributor

Does modifinil work right away or does it need to build up in your symptoms? Also, are there any withdrawal issues when you stop taking it?
Old 06-26-12, 04:01 AM
Contributor

I meant does it work immediately or is other drugs that take a week or so to build up in your system?
Old 06-26-12, 12:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Works immediately. It's not like an anti-depressant.

Tolerance occurs over a longer period of time than say Adderall / MPH class meds though

Eugeroics also have a lower side effect profile, and are a lot smoother.
The Following User Says Thank You to surferdude123 For This Useful Post:
Jshect (06-27-12)
Old 07-01-12, 03:11 AM

nomoredenial is on a distinguished road

i know its been a few days, but i like Jshects analogy lol...essentially the same for the SSRI's... "this one is "more" selective than the past SSRIs, so its better" i wonder if the releases of the new SSRIs correlate with the ending of a patent on previous ones..hhmmm. they didnt even hide the newest ones similarities, lexapro and celexa, but since they were so similar they instead said "its the 'better' version of celexa"... doc/pharm propaganda for Hawaiian vacations. atleast the changes in our ADHD meds have been actually beneficial, longer lasting durations... etc. even generic Adderall XR is made by the name brand, and just tagged generic.