ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Psychotics
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-12, 02:40 PM

josh1109 is on a distinguished road
How long does Abilify take to work??????

Hello all. Been on Zoloft ( SSRI ) 100mg for nearly a year now thats all fine but been put on abilify 10mg then last couple weeks up to 15mg in total ive been on it for 5 weeks and was just wondering how long it takes to start working as im not feeling much benefit yet??
Old 05-08-12, 02:56 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 5,886 Times in 3,268 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does Abilify take to work??????

normally, they take about 2-3 weeks before you start feeling effects, so if it's been 5 weeks and you don't notice anything- maybe call your doctor, tell them, and see if there was something else they could prescribe to help the zoloft?

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 05-08-12, 03:01 PM

have been to doctors today.....reffered me to another pychyatrist from a child one to an adult one ( im 16 ) and he refused to give me anything else and insisted to give abilify more time.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-12, 03:05 PM
moderator of all species

Thanked 5,886 Times in 3,268 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

well, psychiatrists *can* prescribe meds, so when you meet with him, let him know, and see what he says.

maybe abilify takes longer to work than normal ssri meds? are you taking adhd meds?

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 05-08-12, 03:08 PM

use to be on concerta/Ritalin but was disaster from start, sent my symptoms through the roof. and yeah apparently have to wait a couple weeks to see when my appointment is
Old 05-08-12, 03:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,190 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

Hi josh.I've been on Abilify 60mgs daily for over 6yrs.I found that the Abilify started working for me after about 3weeks & my psychiatrist said it takes up to 6wks.for you to get the full benefits of it.You should speak to your doctor & perhaps he will increase the dose or switch you to something else.Good luck.
Old 05-08-12, 03:48 PM

how much mg was you on when you started? if you dont mind me asking and i never knew you could go up to 60mg of abilify? thought the max was 30mg? do you know if going from 15mg upwards makes any difference?
Old 05-10-12, 10:00 AM

Doctor rung today, have been given risperidal 1mg, anyone got any thoughts on risperidal?
Old 05-10-12, 04:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,190 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1109 View Post
how much mg was you on when you started? if you dont mind me asking and i never knew you could go up to 60mg of abilify? thought the max was 30mg? do you know if going from 15mg upwards makes any difference?
I believe I started at around 5-10mgs & then continued to go up from there.I stayed at 30mgs for quite awhile then the doctor increased it to the 60mgs. that I currently take.Hope this helps.Good luck.