ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-12, 09:56 PM

Will1963 is on a distinguished road
Re: How did your friends react to you having ADD?

Some of these stories are making me feel happy that I can't tell anyone outside my family and doctors. Because of my occupation, if potential employers knew I had ADD, I'd never get another job. I won't be able to tell much of anyone until I retire. ("Will" isn't my real name, it's my nom de plume or nom de internet or whatever you call it.) But maybe that's for the best. If I told people and they gave me this "you don't have ADD, you're just lazy" crap, after all I've been through, I'd probably go ballistic.
Old 05-17-12, 09:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,406 Times in 1,822 Posts
Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

I usually employ the sneak attack I saw my other adhd friend in town and leapt at him he thought he was being mugged

TL;DR .....cliffs please :|
The Following User Says Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
PookDo (05-17-12)
Old 05-17-12, 10:00 PM

Thanked 9,310 Times in 5,121 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I assume will works for the military from his atitude.I work for my local government and guys know and I am so nervous I mean if I blow this job I probably will be in the same boat and never be able to get another job anywhere either so I know where your coming from .
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
TheChemicals (05-17-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-12, 10:01 PM

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,039 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishcan View Post
Being nervous about how a friend would react to an ADHD diagnosis is something I don't quite understand. If they're your friends, they know you. They already know where you're deficient. A label that confirms it shouldn't make much difference. To me, this is just like people who won't verbalize their weight to people who can see them on a daily basis. If someone knows how fat you are or aren't, why would a number make any difference?
Yeh, when i was in high school my best friend admitted to me that his cold sores were actually herpes. Scared the hell out of me but oh well....thats ma friend and im not a judge.
Old 05-17-12, 10:03 PM

Flory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond reputeFlory has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure if I ever manage to get in to the legal profession I will be discredited and have my name dragged through the mud, nice one adhd ...**** it

Old 05-17-12, 10:07 PM

Will1963 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
I assume will works for the military from his atitude.
Not the military, but I would never want to take any risk of potential employers finding out. I wouldn't count on them to be understanding or sympathetic. They might be, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 05-17-12, 10:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will1963 View Post
Not the military, but I would never want to take any risk of potential employers finding out. I wouldn't count on them to be understanding or sympathetic. They might be, but I wouldn't count on it.
Yet another reason to love NT people
The Following User Says Thank You to PookDo For This Useful Post:
Flory (05-17-12)
Old 05-17-12, 10:17 PM

I've been made to feel som uncomfortable in a job before as a result of my adhd that I've had to leave. If I don't disclose it they find out through occ health checks and screens and question my integrity...I can't win

Old 05-17-12, 10:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence1989 View Post
I've been made to feel som uncomfortable in a job before as a result of my adhd that I've had to leave. If I don't disclose it they find out through occ health checks and screens and question my integrity...I can't win
**** em
Old 05-17-12, 10:24 PM

Exactly pooks they can **** right off

The Following User Says Thank You to Flory For This Useful Post:
PookDo (05-17-12)
Old 05-17-12, 10:24 PM

Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what I fear w health care databases.Theres always a backdoor of them finding out stuff when in reality it aint no ones GD business if ya ask me.FLorence sounds like messana you gals would get along very very well

Last edited by trishcan; 05-18-12 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: political - see guidelines
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
Flory (05-17-12), TheChemicals (05-17-12)
Old 05-17-12, 10:29 PM

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,039 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
Thats what I fear w health care databases.Theres always a backdoor of them finding out stuff when in reality it aint no ones GD business if ya ask me.FLorence sounds like messana you gals would get along very very well
Messana! Miss her.

Last edited by trishcan; 05-18-12 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: quote consistency
Old 05-17-12, 10:32 PM

Heh hopefully she will come back an say hi

Old 05-17-12, 10:36 PM

OH you know her?! Where the hell did she go to?She flew the chicken coup it seems I hope shes aight.
Old 05-17-12, 10:39 PM

Nah I never spoke to her but I'm always up for chatting to new people